Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2010, 06:53 PM   #166
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253
You've outdone yourself again CS. I never expected to add Michigan to my must-ride list. Beautiful!
Thanks. There is a lot of great riding in the UP and the northern and central LP of Michigan. Hope you get the chance to enjoy some of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjocephus
Hi Cannonshot. I am enjoying the history lesson as much as the riding and scenery. Looking forward to your route.

OP
Thanks, glad you enjoy the history in addition to the great riding and scenery up there. I'm back from hunting ducks for a bit so I'll try to finish this up and get the GPS file posted for download.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyNH
Amen on the History Lesson!! I lived up there for 2 years and learning a lot of History still!

Pat in NH
There are a lot of interesting places and stuff to visit and experience. I really like exploring some of the history there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettr
Yeah... kinda damp.. There's some holes under that dampness too... Just ask my wife....
Awwwwww, it isn't too bad.
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:09 PM   #167
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailwa66
Incredible report, CS... definitely interested in the route when you get it finished! Game on!

An interesting diversion/option north of 123 is to visit the Crisp Point Lighthouse, east of Grand Marais. Getting there is most of the fun: basically two-track, with some deep sand in sections, and fast graded dirt in others (beware of the sandholes!!). A fun challenge on a big bike ridden with a bit of resolve; we did it on the Multistrada this past fall. I'll put it this way, the keepers were startled when we showed up on a bike!
Thanks! Hope you get to enjoy more of this after I post the file.

I left Crisp Point off of this trip as it was an out and back run and sometimes the path is a bit sandy and soft. But since you mentioned it, I'll share a little information for those that want to go there.

Here is the location relative to the UPAT.

This is what is used to look like when it was a US Lifesaving Service station. Now there is only the lighthouse (that you can climb if an attendant from the historical outfit is there) and a new restroom they just put in for visitors.

You might want to shed a layer or two before the climb.

When they are in good shape, some of the "main" roads going out there can be a blast. They roll and twist with the terrain.

On one of my other routes, I have a back way through there on a rugged road that can be a bit vexing for some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
I think Cannonshot slept right through that part.

I only closed my eyes because I thought you were going to jump.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 11-06-2010 at 07:14 PM
Old 11-09-2010, 10:14 AM   #168
mngir1
Flower Sniffer

Oddometer: 40
Cannonshot,

Thanks so much for sharing your incredible route and the beautiful photography. I'm inspired! I really appreciate all the thought and detail you've put into your report. It's very generous of you to share all of your hard work and knowledge of the area with the rest of us.

Definitely will be adding this to the top of my must-do list for next year. Off to recruit some riding buddies!
mngir1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #169
Get_Bent
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by mngir1
Off to recruit some riding buddies!
Recruited.
Get_Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:13 PM   #170
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Wakefield to Watersmeet - Part I

Heading out of Wakefield

A short run on US 2. US 2 was once part of the King's International Highway. This was a Canadian transcontinental route from Vancouver to Halifax. Around 1960, Canadian road builders were finally able to blast a road around the north side of Lake Superior.

It was also called the Cloverland Trail for a while. Cloverland was kind of a scam to attract people to the UP after it was largely ruined by logging and fires. Promoters and developers made it out to be a dreamland. Journalists that were involved in this scam didn't let facts get in the way of what they were trying to promote. For a while they actually got people to come in from western states to raise sheep and the like. After a few years they checked out and went back west. There is more to the Cloverland chapter, but lets just say it failed and they moved on to Hiawathaland and went for tourism instead.

Into the National Forest.

A favorite stretch of road. Very twisty and rolling.

There is an option to ride the RR grade all the way to Watersmeet. I prefer the track instead.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:53 PM   #171
OldSilverFox
Let's Go!

Oddometer: 394
Cannonshot
Thanks for the continued update of pictures and maps. Your work and details make a trip to the UP much more interesting and feasable. I'm going to try and put together a trip for next year,
Thanks again for your effort.
OldSilverFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:58 AM   #172
jonsom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Next year

Hope to make another trip to the UP and the Black Hills next year for a lot more exploring.
jonsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:24 AM   #173
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mngir1
Cannonshot,

Thanks so much for sharing your incredible route and the beautiful photography. I'm inspired! I really appreciate all the thought and detail you've put into your report. It's very generous of you to share all of your hard work and knowledge of the area with the rest of us.

Definitely will be adding this to the top of my must-do list for next year. Off to recruit some riding buddies!
Thanks for your nice comments. I try to set things up so that people can just show up, rely on a valid and entertaining route, and have a good picture of what they are getting into before they go. Hope you get to enjoy this ride next year. No doubt it will be a memorable trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get_Bent
Recruited.
Glad to see you are enthusiastic about the ride!
Old 11-12-2010, 08:29 AM   #174
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSilverFox
Cannonshot
Thanks for the continued update of pictures and maps. Your work and details make a trip to the UP much more interesting and feasable. I'm going to try and put together a trip for next year,
Thanks again for your effort.
Thanks. I am trying to encourage people to enjoy this ride by giving a lot of detail. Makes it easier for people to take it on.

I was just working on the track files getting them ready to post. I will have three. One will be a ready to load big bike route, one will be a ready to load primary route, and the third will be everything in one file for people that want to customize their own combination of tracks.

Again, this could be ridden over a couple of long weekends by only riding either the eastern or western segment at a time.

Looking forward to seeing you and others enjoy this next season!
Old 11-12-2010, 08:31 AM   #175
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN rider
Hope to make another trip to the UP and the Black Hills next year for a lot more exploring.
Hope you enjoy the trip next season.

Here is some comprehensive information about the Black Hills that may also be helpful.

Big Bike Solo in the Black Hills
Old 11-12-2010, 08:47 AM   #176
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Watersmeet

Ottawa National Forest Visitor's Center in Watersmeet. Worth a stop.

Just outside the door is a 1.5 ton 75% pure copper rock that was pulled out of the Victoria Mine (where we will visited earlier). The drill marks are from the mine.

Forest map.

Of course, there would be no forest had the Civilian Conservation Corps not put one back in after the original was logged off and burned away.

Some wildlife mounts on display.

Mountain lions have been confirmed in these four counties in this area.

Fisher. These guys are ferocious predators. If they were the size of a bear, no one would live in the north woods.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:32 PM   #177
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Tracks Available for Download

I still have a little more to report, but I put the tracks up for download here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...5#post14477275
Old 11-12-2010, 03:44 PM   #178
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,933
Incredible work, Bryan. Really fantastic. I look forward to riding some or all of it.

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #179
RockyNH
Older Than Dirt!

Oddometer: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot
I still have a little more to report, but I put the tracks up for download here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...5#post14477275
Thanks CS!

I will check them out tomorrow... waiting for the next installment here though....

Pat in NH
RockyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:48 PM   #180
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Watersmeet to Crystal Falls

This used to be a government hatchery. Now it is a private trout facility.

There is a railroad ORV grade that runs along this segment. I opted to stay with a nearby road as the grade is sometimes whooped out.

I run us on the grade for a short segment that stays in good shape.

Through the National Forest.

Someone is getting tighened up.

Some excellent winding asphalt.

The primary track is a wonderful railroad ORV trail, but it is not a good place for big bikes on some stretches. The go-around is a much nicer railroad ORV trail (for big bikes anyway). Both end up in Crystal Falls.

The go-around.

When Iron County was established in 1885, the county seat was set up in Iron River. Crystal Falls wanted the seat pretty badly so they engaged in a little mischief to get it. Some people from Crystal Falls arranged for a poker game to be held at the temporary courthouse in Iron River after a board meeting. Sometime into the game, two supervisors from Crystal River pretended to go upstairs to go to bed. Instead, they stole the county records and hauled them off to a hiding place. Some wrangling went on and finally in 1888 they held a county-wide election to decide the issue. Crystal Falls won by a narrow margin and both sides accused each other of importing votes and some other hocus-pocus. Finally, in 1890 they floated a $30K bond and went to work building this magnificent courthouse that sits atop a hill overlooking the town.

The primary route.