Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2011, 06:47 AM   #211
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,737
There is so much beauty in the Upper Peninsula. I should make it a point to get up there more often.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:05 AM   #212
rcniss
Not that way!!

Oddometer: 392
Great RR Bryon!! Looks like myself and a couple guys from work may be doing this in early June. What dates did you do your ride up there last fall? I may want to go back up for some fall colors maybe just before or just after the Big Woods ride. Love that you took the time to put in go arounds for the big bikes! That way I can do it once with the 950 and then again with the new Husky 610.

Cheers, and thanks again for taking the time to put this together!!
rcniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:34 PM   #213
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcniss View Post
Great RR Bryon!! Looks like myself and a couple guys from work may be doing this in early June. What dates did you do your ride up there last fall? I may want to go back up for some fall colors maybe just before or just after the Big Woods ride. Love that you took the time to put in go arounds for the big bikes! That way I can do it once with the 950 and then again with the new Husky 610.

Cheers, and thanks again for taking the time to put this together!!

Thanks Randy! I've been getting a lot of inquiries about this ride. I think there will be a lot of people riding it next season on all kinds of DS bikes. The go-arounds for big bikes are proving to be an attractive feature. Seems like there are as many big bike riders interested as there are small/medium DS riders. I'm very happy to see so many planning on making this trip. It is a great place to ride. So far the group traveling the furthest to ride this is a group from the Carolinas. I think all who take this on will have a wonderful and memorable ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
There is so much beauty in the Upper Peninsula. I should make it a point to get up there more often.
I agree Mike. There are few areas in the midwest that are so sparsely populated and so scenic, "wild", and interesting.
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:07 AM   #214
fasteddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
3 or 4 KTM's and a Honda go UPAT!!

Cannonshot, thanks for posting your tracks, and for the wonderful ride report!! I've been meaning to come back up to the U.P. and ride this area again. A group of us (from Ontario) rode the CCC Dual Sport Safari in 2001 and had a great time doing so, now thanks to your hard work we're coming up the second week of June this year and will follow your tracks for the most part, I've shortened a few of the tracks up a bit so we can finish each day before cocktail hour. We plan to ride the loop over six days starting in St Ignace with stops in Grand Marais, L'ance, Houghton, Crystal Falls and Manistique, finishing back in St, Ignace.

Thanks once again

Ed....
2003 KTM 250/350 RFS EXC
2006 KTM 640 Adventure

2008 HUSABERG 550 FE
2008 Paris to Dacre, TEAM ORANGE KRUSH

5 KTM's and 1 Honda Circumnavigate Ontario's Algonquin Park

4 KTM's and 1 Honda Go North, to Abitibi Canyon & Beyond

3 KTM's, A Honda, A Husaberg, and a Jam Tart

4 Ktm's and a Honda go "NORD"
fasteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:55 AM   #215
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
When the copper market fell during the depression, times were tough out here. One program that helped out was the Works Progress Administration. This program of relief for work allowed one job per family. Unskilled workers were paid 34 cents an hour while skilled forkers got 49 cents. One WPA project was this stone ship named the Kearsarge. By the way, there have been four Navy ships named Kearsarge between 1862 and the present and none of them were like this one.

Note the mine drill for a deck gun. There were a lot of other WPA projects out here. Some we will visit. The Gipp Memorial was one. There were also 5,000 men on highway work as well. 8-10% of the WPA jobs were for women. They included sewing, canning, and some writer's projects.

Interesting to note that one of the pilots that ejected from his F-15 over Libya last night was rescued by a USMC Osprey from the USS Kearsarge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddy View Post
Cannonshot, thanks for posting your tracks, and for the wonderful ride report!! I've been meaning to come back up to the U.P. and ride this area again. A group of us (from Ontario) rode the CCC Dual Sport Safari in 2001 and had a great time doing so, now thanks to your hard work we're coming up the second week of June this year and will follow your tracks for the most part, I've shortened a few of the tracks up a bit so we can finish each day before cocktail hour. We plan to ride the loop over six days starting in St Ignace with stops in Grand Marais, L'ance, Houghton, Crystal Falls and Manistique, finishing back in St, Ignace.

Thanks once again

Ed....
Great to hear of your plans for June! I'm sure you guys will have a blast. There will be some other groups out on the track as well but I'm not sure of the timing. Looking forward to hearing about your trip!
Old 03-25-2011, 03:27 AM   #216
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,017
Great RR........Looks like I'll be heading up there to runs these trails this summer
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:34 AM   #217
intotheabis
High on life!

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by scodill View Post
Great RR........Looks like I'll be heading up there to runs these trails this summer
Be great to have you along Scott, its gonna be a blast!
Old 03-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #218
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by intotheabis View Post
Be great to have you along Scott, its gonna be a blast!
look forward to it. Sorry I missed last years....
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #219
Dyno
TT's fake Noob

Oddometer: 1,579
We going to Da UP!
Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #220
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,419
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:59 PM   #221
Dyno
TT's fake Noob

Oddometer: 1,579

Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:04 AM   #222
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by scodill View Post
Glad you found the path interesting. Looks like there will be quite a few groups from quite a few places making this trip this season. So far I think the group coming the farthest is one from the Carolinas.

I'm really looking forward to hearing about other riders' experiences with this track, especially those that ride it on big bikes.

I'm very anxious to get back up there to do some riding myself, but things are still pretty much covered in snow right now. Very scenic I'm sure, but not much for motorcycling.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #223
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
Glad you found the path interesting. Looks like there will be quite a few groups from quite a few places making this trip this season. So far I think the group coming the farthest is one from the Carolinas.

I'm really looking forward to hearing about other riders' experiences with this track, especially those that ride it on big bikes.

I'm very anxious to get back up there to do some riding myself, but things are still pretty much covered in snow right now. Very scenic I'm sure, but not much for motorcycling.
Isn't that the sand road out to Whitefish?
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #224
OldSilverFox
Let's Go!

Oddometer: 393
Cannonshot

Michigan trail riding sticker????

I'd like to ride some of the route that you have posted and detailed in the UPAT post this summer and am in the planning stages now. One question I have is I understand that because a lot of the trails are MDR managed you have to have a valid trail riding sticker. I've looked on line at their web site but can't find anything that looks close. It appears that there is a new $10 sticker but I don't think that is for the trails. Can someone help on how to get the sticker though the internet.
Thanks in advance.
TCAT Ride Report .
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825909
OldSilverFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:12 PM   #225
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSilverFox View Post
Michigan trail riding sticker????

I'd like to ride some of the route that you have posted and detailed in the UPAT post this summer and am in the planning stages now. One question I have is I understand that because a lot of the trails are MDR managed you have to have a valid trail riding sticker. I've looked on line at their web site but can't find anything that looks close. It appears that there is a new $10 sticker but I don't think that is for the trails. Can someone help on how to get the sticker though the internet.
Thanks in advance.
The ORV (Off road vehicle) sticker is available from the Michigan DNR (Department of Natural Resources)...Google Michigan DNR....go to their website and buy it on line with a credit card....$16.25
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote