Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2011, 12:34 PM   #271
jgino157
Yer' mom!!!

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSilverFox View Post
Figured I'd better go around. If I put mind down on it's side there all by myself I'd probably still be there.
Four out of five us went down Hidden tree roots in deep mud............
Colorado 2012
UPAT 2011
jgino157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:22 AM   #272
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by klrmtn View Post
Just returned from a solo trip. Had a blast. I can't decide my favorite section, there are so many. I know I will be heading back again to re-ride some of them. Thanks a bunch for putting this together.
You are quite welcome. Glad you go so much enjoyment from this!
Old 07-25-2011, 09:23 AM   #273
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
Always enjoy your photo shots and historical narratives since you posted the CDT...mapping....routing....! Just supper and of course brought the Pentax Optimo camera for inclement weather. Could you please entertain of what normal general setting you use on the Optimo as I don't seem to get too good pictures on the fly.

Thank you.....and cheers....
For on the fly pix you need to set the camera to the sports icon (fast shutter speed) - usually an icon depicting a runner.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:24 AM   #274
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgino157 View Post
UPAT report ---------------------------> http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709442

Thanks again Cannon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are quite welcome. Enjoyed your ride report!
Old 08-21-2011, 08:25 PM   #275
striperjunky
Go team "Venture" !!!!!

Oddometer: 151
camping

Me and Stacy were wondering if there are any free camping sites in the UP area. I have found info on primitive camping areas but can't seem to find any that list prices!! Just wanted to find some camping spots that are secluded and out of the way. We're headed in that direction tomorrow and will end up there by Tuesday. We want to visit some state parks but also want to get off the beaten path. Thanx!!

http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/Striperjunky/

Rocky & Stacy
Old 08-21-2011, 08:46 PM   #276
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjunky View Post
Me and Stacy were wondering if there are any free camping sites in the UP area. I have found info on primitive camping areas but can't seem to find any that list prices!! Just wanted to find some camping spots that are secluded and out of the way. We're headed in that direction tomorrow and will end up there by Tuesday. We want to visit some state parks but also want to get off the beaten path. Thanx!!

http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/Striperjunky/

Rocky & Stacy
"Dispersed camping is allowed on State Forest land, if the camp is one mile from a designated state forest campground and it has not been banned by Order of the Director. Campers must post a camp registration card at their campsite. Camp registration cards may be obtained at any DNR Operation Service Center or from the Forest, Mineral, and Fire Management Office in Lansing. (Note: dispersed camping is also allowed on a limited basis within State Game Areas. For more information call Wildlife Division).

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7...edanddispersed

Get some blank permits at a DNR service center.

You can look up info about dispersed camping in the Hiawatha and Ottawa National Forests easily enough.

http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/eastern/hiainfo.htm

Camping at the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula at High Rock Bay is dispersed camping.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:33 PM   #277
striperjunky
Go team "Venture" !!!!!

Oddometer: 151
Up

CS,
Thanx for all of the good info!!

Rocky
Old 09-02-2011, 07:32 AM   #278
intotheabis
High on life!

Oddometer: 585
UP Trip

Hey Cannonshot, just got back from a trip to the UP using your tracks, fantastic job! We rode up from Port Huron and camped every night, (except one but thats another story), anyway great job, well laid out and thought out. We rode the loop in a CCW direction, it was everything I could have hoped for.
Thanks again!
Old 09-13-2011, 06:35 AM   #279
qwinn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Cannon UPAT

Six days 1083 miles :idn't finish tracts 10 or 11, just ran out of time. Too many sites to see and food to eat :)
I'll post some pics later. Thanks for all your help!
qwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #280
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by intotheabis View Post
Hey Cannonshot, just got back from a trip to the UP using your tracks, fantastic job! We rode up from Port Huron and camped every night, (except one but thats another story), anyway great job, well laid out and thought out. We rode the loop in a CCW direction, it was everything I could have hoped for.
Thanks again!
Thanks! I'm really glad you enjoyed the route. SOunds like you had a fantastic trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwinn View Post
Six days 1083 miles :idn't finish tracts 10 or 11, just ran out of time. Too many sites to see and food to eat :)
I'll post some pics later. Thanks for all your help!
I wouldn't worry too much about finishing all the tracks. Sounds like you guys were getting more than enough enjoyment just taking it all in. Looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing more about your trip! Glad I could help with your prep.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:45 PM   #281
Edoc
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Great thread. I plan on riding it next summer.

I taught my 5 adult children to ride this summer with a CRF 150. We rented a place in Waucedah for a week and road the Norway trail and back woods. We had 3 trail bikes and a couple of ATVs. Other than some road rash, it was a great time. The mud holes, steep rocky hills and really rough spots were their favorite areas.

We were legal on the county and forest roads with unlicensed cycles. Would that be the case for all the paved portions of your trail?
Is there a hotel/ cabin you recommend near Gwinn for the wife and non campers?

Any decent trails in South WI were we live?

Thanks again for all the information,
Tim
Edoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:51 PM   #282
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edoc View Post
Great thread. I plan on riding it next summer.

I taught my 5 adult children to ride this summer with a CRF 150. We rented a place in Waucedah for a week and road the Norway trail and back woods. We had 3 trail bikes and a couple of ATVs. Other than some road rash, it was a great time. The mud holes, steep rocky hills and really rough spots were their favorite areas.

We were legal on the county and forest roads with unlicensed cycles. Would that be the case for all the paved portions of your trail?
Is there a hotel/ cabin you recommend near Gwinn for the wife and non campers?

Any decent trails in South WI were we live?

Thanks again for all the information,
Tim
Most of the time we use the Red Fox Inn at the old KI Sawyer AFB just outside Gwinn. They can accommodate parking while you are on the trail.

Eventually you have to get on some State highways or other roads where a plate is required on this loop. That is the nature of travel in the UP. This means you will need a plate to complete this loop.

No real trail opportunities in southern WI. There is a popular railroad grade trail (Cheese Country Trail) is SW WI. Actually you could pick that up nearby in Monroe as a starting point. There are motorcycle trails near Black River Falls that will take an unlicensed bike. We are working on a motorized recreation area for this part of the state.

Hope this was helpful to you.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:30 PM   #283
Edoc
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks for the info. Very helpful.
http://www.redfoxinn.net/ I see they have good rates too.

The roads are no problem for my DR 200, but was hoping to use the CRF 150 too.
I have used the Cheese County trail a bunch. Good easy trail for new riders, but nothing like the forest roads that were every where in the UP. I may purchase a DRX 400 and let my daughter ride the DR 200.

"We are working on a motorized recreation area for this part of the state." Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Tim
Edoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #284
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,688
Completing a ride around Lake Superior and rode the UP using your gps track. Rode ccw from Ironwood - Roco and then took Hwy 28 to 75 and back to Canada.

What fabulous roads in the area. It (your report) was like having our own guided tour of the UP. Missed a turn here and there so created some of our own ride a couple times. Thanks for the well laid out ride report and the background of the area. It made a very nice scenic ride and more enjoyable experience. I will definitely go back to ride the area again. as we were a bit crunched for time there are places that deserve a more thorough investigation.

Find us on Spot http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...YGllfEZqqxYWcA
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:15 PM   #285
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edoc View Post
Thanks for the info. Very helpful.
http://www.redfoxinn.net/ I see they have good rates too.

The roads are no problem for my DR 200, but was hoping to use the CRF 150 too.
I have used the Cheese County trail a bunch. Good easy trail for new riders, but nothing like the forest roads that were every where in the UP. I may purchase a DRX 400 and let my daughter ride the DR 200.

"We are working on a motorized recreation area for this part of the state." Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Tim
There will likely be some support needed as we get further along. We'll be glad to have your help when the time comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryden_rider_54 View Post
Completing a ride around Lake Superior and rode the UP using your gps track. Rode ccw from Ironwood - Roco and then took Hwy 28 to 75 and back to Canada.

What fabulous roads in the area. It (your report) was like having our own guided tour of the UP. Missed a turn here and there so created some of our own ride a couple times. Thanks for the well laid out ride report and the background of the area. It made a very nice scenic ride and more enjoyable experience. I will definitely go back to ride the area again. as we were a bit crunched for time there are places that deserve a more thorough investigation.

I'm glad you got a chance to enjoy some of the UPAT. You are quite right, there is a great deal to explore and enjoy in the UP. This is but one track of many in the area. It is sometimes difficult to decide which sections to include on a single loop of the UP because there are so many options. I'm glad you enjoyed the background info. I was just up in that area again this week exploring some more of that background for a big bike ride I am about to share.