User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2010, 08:15 PM   #16
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,956
It looks like a great ride.

I want to hear what Klay thinks about it before I commit my marriage though.

Sometimes you see solid track where I see sand and lawyers.

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:22 PM   #17
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 19,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarysharkface
It looks like a great ride.

I want to hear what Klay thinks about it before I commit my marriage though.

Sometimes you see solid track where I see sand and lawyers.

John
It will be a lot better once I get into it. I'm having a hard time getting started on this - like always. Once I "get out on the trail" the report thing gets a lot easier.

Klay rode along for the eastern portion and I'm sure he'll offer some comments once we get going.

I was conscious of noting trail surfaces this time through since, like you say, I sometimes find some things unremarkable that others think are notable. I really gave a lot of thought to the big bike potential. It will be quite doable and enjoyable for a big biker (or a novice on a smaller bike) using the go-arounds.
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:42 PM   #18
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,748

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:36 AM   #19
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Gwinn to Rapid River

Gwinn is the start point for this ride. It is an old mining town in the Central UP. The Cleveland-Cliffs Mining Company picked up the land in 1901. The company president hired a well-known Boston landscape designer to lay out the town. Not only did they take advantage of the natural setting, but 8% of the cost of the town was designated for outdoor improvements. The town was built between 1907 and 1915. As mining declined, the company town was sold off. It was known as a model town and the school sports teams are known as "Modeltowners".

Two miners, Fredric Croix and Quickslide Rick were blues musicians from Gwinn. In 1928-29 they were cutting 78 rpm records for RCA.

Overview of this segment.

The dark blue lines are go-arounds and the red track is the primary route. I offered a go-around coming out of Gwinn as it can be sandy, whooped, and sometimes muddy.

It was still dark when we started out this morning so I'll borrow a few pictures from one of the Treks for this.

By the way, when this ore dust gets wet it is very slick - like water on ice.

This winding road is a bunch of fun. Still a little dark though.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 10-10-2010 at 07:46 AM
Old 10-10-2010, 07:45 AM   #20
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Gwinn to Rapid River Continued

The next go-around I put in because the two-track gets pretty rough with potholes and some limbs and logs placed into the surface for stabilization in a couple of spots.

We ran across wolf tracks in this stretch in the past.

We head onto some roads for a bit.

Sun in the eyes - not so good.

Rapid RIver was once a big lumber town with a dozen sawmills at one time. They now have an outfit that manufactures cedar log homes.

Not a lot there anymore.

Excellent breakfast, meals, and pie.

Lots of "CannonCard" tags throughout the UP.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:37 AM   #21
kzoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Well, there you go again...

I really enjoyed the pain and suffering of the MCCCT... I would love to try the DS/Adventure stuff (UP DS Safari etc...)... Don't think my 2t Husky is up to the challenge though. Some day I'll have to convince my wife to let me get a second, third, fourth bike...

Independent AMSOIL Dealer - www.greasemonkeysupply.com
Contact me for pricing; (make sure you mention that you're from ADV rider)
kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:50 AM   #22
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Rapid River to Moss Lake

This section runs through part of the National Forest. It has two go-arounds. The first is to avoid some soft sand and the second is to go around a narrow and winding ATV trail. By the way, the ATV trail is a fantastic ride but it might be too narrow going through the woods for some big bikes because of the limitation of having two wheel ruts and corners tight against the trees. It is a favorite section on a smaller DS bike though.

By the way, I check my tracks against the Motor Vehicle Use Maps in the National Forests to make sure that all is legit. Every now and again we come upon a USFS cop and have found him to be helpful, friendly, and encouraging. By the way, he reminds us that we need to actively police ourselves to keep the heat off of our sport. So true. Knuckleheads that don't know how to behave properly can't be tolerated.

On that note, don't come up here and ride this thing if you are going to pull some stunts. It is a very small world around here and the CannonTrekkers are well known and remembered. Even on this run people recognized us and asked where the rest of our group was. We don't need someone to spoil the good will we have developed over the years.

Sometimes you will come upon "No Tresspassing" signs along some of the paths. Keep in mind that these refer to the land adjacent to the path, not the through road itself.

A sporty track.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #23
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Moss Lake

I cut in some true motorcycle single track for those that would like a little woods riding on this segment.

Garmin Topo

When I ride in Michigan or Wisconsin I use the ORV maps available from VVmapping. They are great background maps and have trails embedded into the map itself. For single track, I like using them because I can see where I am at on the trail and it allows me some flexibility in choosing a side road to get off when I want to. This is a shot of the same area using the VVmapping background map. Much better GPS maps to ride with for this adventure trail.

Don't be shy about taking this single track segment. This was Klay's first time on true woods riding single track and he had a blast (not implying that it was easy though).

This is a new trail and it is known for being pretty tight. Some of the trees are very close together but Klay managed it even with his saddle bags.

Enjoy the trail but tread lightly as we don't want to induce excessive erosion.

After I have you ride some of the nice stuff, I pop you out onto a road to head back to the main route.

Another nice thing about the VVmaps is that you can continue to ride further along on the trail if you are feeling sporty and find another intersection to get off at. Klay was feeling good when he came off but perhaps he was a little sweated up as he was still dressed warmly.

I led some others on this track earlier in the year. They were on a variety of bikes and not all were woods riders. I think they all had a blast though.

The road out.

You will need a Michigan ORV sticker to ride this route. Here is the info.

Each rider will need at MI DNR ORV permit on their bike. In the past they cost $16.25 for the annual sticker. You will want to order the pre-printed sticker rather than get a sticker printed out at hunting license oulets. The pre-printed sticker is more durable.

The pre-printed sticker for 2011 will be available for purchase on-line in March 2011. Don't get confused about MI sport cards, etc, just plow through to the ORV preprinted license.

Here is a link for on-line sales.
http://www.mdnr-elicense.com/welcome.asp

The sticker is supposed to be placed so it is visible from the rear of the bike. Not always possible in practice so use your best judgement.

Careful preparation of the mounting surface will ensure your sticker stays with your conveyance. Best to take care of all of this ahead of time.

The sticker is required because some of the riding will be done on designated ORV trails.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:34 PM   #24
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Moss Lake to Norden

I put in a short go-around for this section as there is some sand that some may want to avoid.

The go-around also avoids this.

Big bikes can skip the gas stop at Norden and run to Manistique instead.

The run down the railroad grade is good for all bikes.

Small bikes take a sandy side trail.

Don't trust any of these water holes in this area.

A couple of them can put you over the bars.

The go-around takes the highway into Manistique. Big bikes won't like the whoops on the section east of the highway.

Or the wet stuff on the edge of town.

Manistique was the outlet for logs floated down the river. They have a great harbor. It was a lumber and paper mill town. The Chicago Lumber Company ran through about 90 million board feet a year of white pine back in the old days. Now this place has the largest recycling operation for catalogs, magazines, and junk mail. They de-ink it and re-use it. I guess it was first started by the Minneapolis Tribune to control the supply and price of newspaper back in the 1920s.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:26 PM   #25
adventurecycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
I'm in.....
Its on the "to ride" list now

2002 BMW R1150GS
adventurecycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:50 PM   #26
GasMich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Tracks should be great!!!!!!!!

Cannon is one of the best on UP rides. He has seen it all and done it all. He'll get you to the good spots and the good sights. The UP is a great place to ride dual sport. I am sure Cannon will throw in a few "nice" sections so beware. You may want to consider the go arounds!

Keep up the good work Cannon!
GasMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:20 PM   #27
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasMich
Cannon is one of the best on UP rides. He has seen it all and done it all. He'll get you to the good spots and the good sights. The UP is a great place to ride dual sport. I am sure Cannon will throw in a few "nice" sections so beware. You may want to consider the go arounds!

I was continuously in awe. That was a highly enjoyable route.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:37 PM   #28
smr238
Sam

Oddometer: 146
what kind of range do I need to do this ride
Thanks Sam
smr238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:45 PM   #29
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by smr238
what kind of range do I need to do this ride
Thanks Sam
The longest stretch is about 83 miles (St Ignace to Paradise). There is a stop in-between on that stretch about 7 miles off the track (and another 8 miles off track) if you need to stop enroute. Some CannonTrek riders with smaller tanks have carried an MSR fuel bottle along to relieve their stress.

The rest of the track has plenty of gas along the way.

Some of the gas stops are pretty basic and may not offer premium during the summer. In fact, sometimes they don't offer gas except during the snowmobile season.

I marked gas stations at intervals in the GPS file I will distribute.

Another nice feature in the vvmapping.com GPS maps is that gas stations are embedded in the background maps as well. This is handy if you have to get off the track from some reason.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 10-10-2010 at 09:06 PM
Old 10-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #30
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzoo
Well, there you go again...

I really enjoyed the pain and suffering of the MCCCT... I would love to try the DS/Adventure stuff (UP DS Safari etc...)... Don't think my 2t Husky is up to the challenge though. Some day I'll have to convince my wife to let me get a second, third, fourth bike...
One guy rode the Trek on a 300cc two-stroke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurecycle
I'm in.....
Its on the "to ride" list now
Taking the big bike? It would be nice to get some feedback from someone who rode this on a GS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasMich

Hi Greg! Greg rides the CannonTrek about every year and has a blast doing it. He seems to enjoy the new little surprises I put into the track as I change things around every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
I was continuously in awe. That was a highly enjoyable route.
I'm glad you were able to ride along for a couple of days! Now you have to take some time to ride the rest of it. There is a lot of great stuff on this track over that way. Watch out for the wolves over there though as they seem to like the same trails we do.