ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 10:00 AM   #286
dvmweb
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Oddometer: 24
Thanks CannonShot

Well now,

I am 57 years old, and like a lot of older guys I bought a Harley 9 or 10 years ago. And, like many other older dudes I use to off road when I was a kid.

After reading CS's wonderful posts, I want to dual sport. Now I want to go off road again, especially when I travel in the UP. And, camp out in da woods again. So, I asks myself, does I get a new bike, do I get a used one, or does I get rid of the HD and get exactly what I want. A quandary for sure.

See what you did Cannonshot. I can't sleep at night now! I'll figure it out.

BTW, I notice that most of the people on this forum are pretty nice. I like that.

Walt
Northern Lower Peninsula of Meeshegun
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #287
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time
 
Cannonshot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: SE Wisconsin
Oddometer: 17,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmweb View Post
Well now,

I am 57 years old, and like a lot of older guys I bought a Harley 9 or 10 years ago. And, like many other older dudes I use to off road when I was a kid.

After reading CS's wonderful posts, I want to dual sport. Now I want to go off road again, especially when I travel in the UP. And, camp out in da woods again. So, I asks myself, does I get a new bike, do I get a used one, or does I get rid of the HD and get exactly what I want. A quandary for sure.

See what you did Cannonshot. I can't sleep at night now! I'll figure it out.

BTW, I notice that most of the people on this forum are pretty nice. I like that.

Walt
Northern Lower Peninsula of Meeshegun
Walt, I'm 56 and am having a blast with dual sporting.

The nice thing about these tracks is you can ride at your own pace - sport it up a bit or just relax and take in the scenery.

Plenty of nice bikes around at a reasonable price. You'll still probably want your road bike for touring around. As you know, a smaller dual sport will serve you well for knocking around the two-tracks and trails.

You are going to have a blast. There are plenty of scouted and documented tracks and group rides around to enjoy on a DS bike.

You will probably want to connect with the Great Lakes Dual Sporters as they seem to have something going over your way about every weekend.

Looking forward to riding with you sometime!
__________________
Cannonshot.net
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:30 PM   #288
cvillebound
Adventurer
 
cvillebound's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Charlottesville VA
Oddometer: 12
Grand Marais MI to Munising MI on H58

The UP is a great ride anytime. After Labor Day, roads are near empty and riders can focus on nature and the pure joy of the ride. The Feds finished paving H58 from Munising to Grand Marais MI. Fifty miles of perfect black top through some of the must beautiful forests you will ever see. Lake Superior comes into view as you get closer to Grand Marias. When you get to Grand Marais, stop at the Dunes and enjoy fresh Whitefish and decent pizza. If you are spending the night in Grand Marais, (I spent a week) enjoy the beer brewed at the Dunes.

There is great camping along H58 and just outside the town of Grand Marais for the hard core Adventure Riders. I stay in a renal home. Note that H58 East out of Grand Marais MI turns into "endless miles" of sand and gravel. Great fun on my V-Strom. Let someone know where you are headed. The UP weather changes in minutes. Cell coverage is inconsistent. There is no place to gas up between Grand Marias and Munising. Plan accordingly.

I can't wait until my next ride from Chicago to the UP!

Cvillebound-- Paul
cvillebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #289
jon_l
Southern Ontario
 
jon_l's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Oddometer: 2,643
I have read this more than once Cannonshot. Thank you so much!

One thing I didn't see mentioned in your report are insects. In Ontario, blackflies and mosquitoes combine to make June a miserable month outdoors, and the reason that August & September are my favorite months to camp.

Being originally from Virginia, when I had no idea what blackfiles were, nor how much more abundant and vicious Northern mosquitoes can be.

Lots of posts about riding the UPAT in May and June. Are insects fierce then?
__________________
'09 Honda CBF1000; '09 Yamaha WR250R
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:28 PM   #290
gwinn23
n00b
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Varna, Bulgaria
Oddometer: 7
very sweet.

I spent about 15 years in and around Marquette - on the other side of the world now but great to the old stomping grounds being appreciated.
gwinn23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:02 AM   #291
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time
 
Cannonshot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: SE Wisconsin
Oddometer: 17,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
I have read this more than once Cannonshot. Thank you so much!

One thing I didn't see mentioned in your report are insects. In Ontario, blackflies and mosquitoes combine to make June a miserable month outdoors, and the reason that August & September are my favorite months to camp.

Being originally from Virginia, when I had no idea what blackfiles were, nor how much more abundant and vicious Northern mosquitoes can be.

Lots of posts about riding the UPAT in May and June. Are insects fierce then?
I ran some CannonTreks up there in May and June and didn't have any serious insect problems. If you hit a spot of troublesome blackflies, it is best to move on and leave them behind. I don't think we ever had a serious problem with them on the Treks.

There can be a lot of ticks around so it is best to treat your riding clothes with tick spray. It kills ticks that get on your clothes. Works great.



Quote:
Originally Posted by gwinn23 View Post
I spent about 15 years in and around Marquette - on the other side of the world now but great to the old stomping grounds being appreciated.
Glad this brought back some nice memories for you.
__________________
Cannonshot.net
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:54 AM   #292
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time
 
Cannonshot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: SE Wisconsin
Oddometer: 17,361
Someone asked for a version of the route that could be run with a rugged four-wheel drive vehicle. I posted a 4WD version ready for download here. Running this route requires a Michigan ORV sticker.

__________________
Cannonshot.net
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #293
Subcool
Adventurer
 
Subcool's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Toledo, Ohio (Point Place)
Oddometer: 13
Planning this trip

I am planning this trip on my KLR650 the second week of June. I have never taken a motorcycle camping trip before and am pretty pumped.

Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated. I downloaded the big bike route and it looks great.

Thank You for the wonderful ride report and photos.
Subcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:41 AM   #294
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker
 
dryden_rider_54's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Just ahead of a flat line.
Oddometer: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subcool View Post
I am planning this trip on my KLR650 the second week of June. I have never taken a motorcycle camping trip before and am pretty pumped.

Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated. I downloaded the big bike route and it looks great.

Thank You for the wonderful ride report and photos.
You will have no problem on the KLR. I am in my late 50s and drive a BMW 800GS. We ran most of the route last fall as part of our round Lake Superior run. As far as camping on a bike, typically your biggest problem is over thinking what you "need" and over packing.
__________________
After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box.
His - 2006 KLR Red, 2010 F800GS 30th Anniversary edition
Hers - 2001 KLR Green, 2010 F650GS Biarritz Blue Metallic
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #295
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time
 
Cannonshot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: SE Wisconsin
Oddometer: 17,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subcool View Post
I am planning this trip on my KLR650 the second week of June. I have never taken a motorcycle camping trip before and am pretty pumped.

Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated. I downloaded the big bike route and it looks great.

Thank You for the wonderful ride report and photos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryden_rider_54 View Post
You will have no problem on the KLR. I am in my late 50s and drive a BMW 800GS. We ran most of the route last fall as part of our round Lake Superior run. As far as camping on a bike, typically your biggest problem is over thinking what you "need" and over packing.
Like Dryden says, you won't have any problem on the big bike version of this loop on the KLR. The big bike loop is set up to avoid the taxing sections of deep sand and other big bike unfriendly paths.

Be ready for cold and cold rain anytime up there.

By the way, I have a new 930 mile Northern Wisconsin Adventure Trail (NWAT) I will proof and publish next month. It is similar to this in many ways but has fewer tourist stops on it. It will be a good ride. The path is not big bike friendly, so it will only have tracks for small/medium dual sports. I'll publish pictures and tracks once I proof a couple of sections.

All I am waiting for is some of the seasonally restricted roads to open up in May so I can do the proof ride.
__________________
Cannonshot.net
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:27 PM   #296
redneckdan
Hold my beer & watch this
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Somewhere on da Iron Range.
Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subcool View Post
I am planning this trip on my KLR650 the second week of June. I have never taken a motorcycle camping trip before and am pretty pumped.

Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated. I downloaded the big bike route and it looks great.

Thank You for the wonderful ride report and photos.
That bike should work well. I highly recommend camping at the tip of the Keweenaw. Shoot me message before you leave if you want a riding buddy while you are in the Keweenaw. I'm also more than willing to help should you get stuck or break down.
__________________
Fly Rods, Kids and a KLR
redneckdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #297
Subcool
Adventurer
 
Subcool's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Toledo, Ohio (Point Place)
Oddometer: 13
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
Like Dryden says, you won't have any problem on the big bike version of this loop on the KLR. The big bike loop is set up to avoid the taxing sections of deep sand and other big bike unfriendly paths.

Be ready for cold and cold rain anytime up there.

By the way, I have a new 930 mile Northern Wisconsin Adventure Trail (NWAT) I will proof and publish next month. It is similar to this in many ways but has fewer tourist stops on it. It will be a good ride. The path is not big bike friendly, so it will only have tracks for small/medium dual sports. I'll publish pictures and tracks once I proof a couple of sections.

All I am waiting for is some of the seasonally restricted roads to open up in May so I can do the proof ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckdan View Post
That bike should work well. I highly recommend camping at the tip of the Keweenaw. Shoot me message before you leave if you want a riding buddy while you are in the Keweenaw. I'm also more than willing to help should you get stuck or break down.

Thanks for all the info and I will shoot you a message before I pull out for the trip. I may have one or two joiners on the trip from Toledo here. They just need to get permission from the wives. Worked on my wife all winter to get her to let me go adventuring.

Mounted up the new dry bags from Wolfman tonight now I just need to fill them with my gear and some spare parts.
Subcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #298
thechickencow
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Green Bay, WI
Oddometer: 626
Just revisiting this, it still looks fantastic!
__________________
'03 ktm 640a
thechickencow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #299
Head413
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Copper Harbor, MI
Oddometer: 33
If you need anything for camping at the tip of the Keweenaw do not hesitate to ask me either!
Head413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #300
72Jeeper
Adventurer
 
72Jeeper's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Okeechobee, Fl
Oddometer: 78
Over 1/2 way through...

I need to first of all thank you Cannonshot for all your hard work you put into this route. I am writing this from Wakefield, at the" Regal Country Inn" (906)229-5122. ( a fantastic place to stay, owned and operated by a gentleman named Dick, who also has a 50's style Ice Cream shop upstairs!) I started my ride in Kalkaska, I rode offroad up to the "Bridge", where I started the official UPAT on track 3, last Friday am. Words can't describe how great this ride has been. I have read all of this RR a few times over and tried to get here last year, conflicts with work held me back, sometimes owning your own business can do that. This year I had a buddy lined up to go with me , but he bailed on me. So what was a guy to do? Ride of course! I have looked at your great pics on this RR so much that I found myself saying over and over,"Wow that looks familar to me for some reason"....lol Once I get home I will try to get some sort of RR posted, although compared to yours mine will fail in comparison... Again Thanks for the hours and hours of work you put into this. I can honestly say that this site and your RRs are what got me started on DS riding, I'm hooked now and planning for a TAT in a few years.

P.S. Any chance of getting a few UPAT stickers from you???




72Jeeper screwed with this post 05-13-2012 at 07:46 PM Reason: forgot
72Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014