User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2010, 05:51 PM   #76
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,424
On to Paradise Toward Whitefish Point

Ran into a lot of bear hunters during this trip. Bears are sometimes hunted over bait piles and they are sometimes pursued with dogs. We traveled a few sand roads that had been dragged (brush, tree, log) to erase tracks. Later the hunter travels the road looking for a new bear track. When he cuts a track he puts the dogs on the trail. The dogs run after the bear (sometimes these are small beagles doing the chasing) until the bear instinctively climbs a tree. The hunters can radio direction find their dogs. Sometimes a hunter can listen for them as well. Even with all this effort, overall the bears do pretty well avoiding being harvested. They will run down streams or swim to avoid leaving a scented trail.

Paradise was founded in 1925 as a resort community. The book A Cold Day in Paradise is a story about a retired Detroit cop moving here and getting into the detective business of sorts.

This is a burger and fries place. During the fishing season you may want to stop at Brown's Fish House on the west side of town. It is a restaurant and a fish market. It is only open when commercial fisherman Buddy Brown has fish. Worth the stop.
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:02 PM   #77
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 941
Great stuff. Do those deep piles of leaves contribute to the "sportiness" of the corners?
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:13 PM   #78
dirtrooster2003
Arkansas traveler

Oddometer: 18
Fantastic report, brings back old memorys. lived in Iron Mtn in the 80s for about 8 years and did alot of exploring. Miss the summers there (the 2 weeks of it anyway). Surpised you didnt mention what happens when a Yugo tries to cross the Mackinaw bridge. Anyway great report love the pics and history.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:43 AM   #79
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_N_Fodder
Great stuff. Do those deep piles of leaves contribute to the "sportiness" of the corners?
No the leaves weren't a problem - of course they were dry at the time. Some of the smaller water holes were hidden by a thick layer of floating leaves in a couple of spots though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrooster2003
Fantastic report, brings back old memorys. lived in Iron Mtn in the 80s for about 8 years and did alot of exploring. Miss the summers there (the 2 weeks of it anyway). Surpised you didnt mention what happens when a Yugo tries to cross the Mackinaw bridge. Anyway great report love the pics and history.
Glad this brings back some pleasant memories. That bridge can be pretty tricky and when it is windy they restrict motorcycle travel as well.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:51 AM   #80
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Paradise to Whitefish Point

The ride out to the point is on a nice paved road.

The old Light Station/Coast Guard station is now a shipwreck museum.

Ships pass close to the point. Canada is visible nearby on the horizon. The Edmund Fitzgerald sunk about 17 miles away from here in a nasty storm.

You can enjoy a pasty (pass-tee) at a snack shop on site.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:31 PM   #81
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,454

Anxiously awaiting the completion of this report so I can share it with all my bicycle dork friends. Hoping to pedal this whole route next summer.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:41 PM   #82
Pinktoad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel

Anxiously awaiting the completion of this report so I can share it with all my bicycle dork friends. Hoping to pedal this whole route next summer.
That's just insane Askel!
Pinktoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:41 AM   #83
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel

Sorry for the delay. Duck season. I get distracted.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:16 AM   #84
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Whitefish Point to Grand Marais - Part I

The return route from Whitefish Point to M-123 takes in some what can be troubling sand for some. No pictures, but I'm sure you get the idea.

M-123 is a nice ride.

Popular with motorcyclists.

Tahquamenon Falls is along this route.

Back onto a county road.

The go-around to Rainbow Lodge takes in roads like this.

The primary route takes to sandy roads.

The route takes to an ATV width ORV trail that runs through a recently logged area.

The mouth of the Two Hearted River near Rainbow Lodge. This was once the site of a lifesaving station.

On November 4th,1869, the schooner Arnold left Marquette headed to Sault Ste Marie. It had a crew of nine and two passengers on board. Shortly after they started out, a gale kicked in that raged for 24 hours. When the Arnold didn't show at the Sault, people figured it was lost. One problem with wrecks on Lake Superior in those days was the largely desolate shoreline. Over a month later, a mail carrier was traveling along the beach near the Two hearted River when he spotted the hull of a ship. A pack of wolves kept him from getting closer to the wreck to investigate. A search party later discovered the wreck and found some of the crew members encased in ice. The bodies were recovered and buried in the spring.

A happy fisherman.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:11 AM   #85
OldSilverFox
Let's Go!

Oddometer: 394
Cannonshot
Nice to see youv'e posted some additions to the trip. I have enjoyed what you have done so far and appreciate all the hard work involved. A big thanks for your effort. When you hadn't posted in a few days I was worried something had happened but I guess everything is OK. Enjoying your RR and guide.
Thanks Again.
OldSilverFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:20 PM   #86
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSilverFox
Cannonshot
Nice to see youv'e posted some additions to the trip. I have enjoyed what you have done so far and appreciate all the hard work involved. A big thanks for your effort. When you hadn't posted in a few days I was worried something had happened but I guess everything is OK. Enjoying your RR and guide.
Thanks Again.
Thanks much. No trouble. Normally this time of year the bikes are put away and I am on the Mississippi hunting, fishing, and trapping. The floods this year led me to delay going to the river and I took this ride instead.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:37 PM   #87
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Whitefish Point to Grand Marais - Part II

Some ORV trail. There are big bike go-arounds for these segments.

Ran into this group making an annual trip to ride trails. Some were very interested in the dual sport route I was documenting as some of them (like many) are transitioning from trails to DS.

Back onto some roads.

This road gets quite sporty and twisty. A favorite to ride with the DRZ.

Fishing boat.

This once 50' deep harbor has been neglected since WWII and is filling in. It is now about 25' deep.

These jetties were put in back in the logging days in 1896. They were maintained until WWII.

This old Coast Guard building was where the last radio transmission from the Edmund Fitzgerald was received before she sank. Whitefish Point was down because of no power as a result of the storm.

Once logging was done in this area, the railroad pulled up the tracks and the town shrank from 4,000 to 300 in just a few months. Buildings are from about 1860 to 1910 for the most part. Lake Superior Brewing Company.

If someone wants to know about tires, I can't really say. I rode these worn knobbies and was fine. More traction = more sporty in some spots.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:57 PM   #88
MotoSailorDC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Great RR! I've never been to the UP, but have spent a lot of summers in the upper LP. I really need to ride up there sometime!
MotoSailorDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:57 PM   #89
St. Louis Dave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Great RR! I've done most of this trip via snowmobile a few times in my life. It looks a lot different with leaves on the trees and ground and not 4 feet of snow.

One note to all. I am a groomer operator for one of the snowmobile clubs in Michigan and spend MANY hours all winter long making these trails super highways for snowmobiles. It's this time of year that clubs all over the state are out brushing and signing these trails to keep them free from blowdowns, low hanging branches, signs to warn you of hazzards and informational signs. We're all volunteers and always looking for another hand to help us keep things up to snuff. If you feel like helping out, just search the net for snowmobile clubs in the area you enjoy ADVing in and help out if you can. I'm all for dual purpose use on the trails, but looking for help to keep them in great shape year round.

St. Louis Dave screwed with this post 10-19-2010 at 06:06 PM
St. Louis Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:34 PM   #90
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoSailorDC
Great RR! I've never been to the UP, but have spent a lot of summers in the upper LP. I really need to ride up there sometime!
Thanks. I think you will enjoy a trip to the UP. With 1/3 of Michigan's land mass and only 3% of the population, it seems a little more open for this kind of riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Louis Dave
Great RR! I've done most of this trip via snowmobile a few times in my life. It looks a lot different with leaves on the trees and ground and not 4 feet of snow.

One note to all. I am a groomer operator for one of the snowmobile clubs in Michigan and spend MANY hours all winter long making these trails super highways for snowmobiles. It's this time of year that clubs all over the state are out brushing and signing these trails to keep them free from blowdowns, low hanging branches, signs to warn you of hazzards and informational signs. We're all volunteers and always looking for another hand to help us keep things up to snuff. If you feel like helping out, just search the net for snowmobile clubs in the area you enjoy ADVing in and help out if you can. I'm all for dual purpose use on the trails, but looking for help to keep them in great shape year round.
Just so there is no confusion here, let me clarify that this ride principally relies on roads of various sorts and ORV trails. Some of the seasonal and forest roads (and ORV routes) also happen to be snowmobile trails in the winter. It is wonderful when you get on a road that is also a snowmobile trail because the snowmobilers do an excellent job with the signage that would otherwise not be there. Some of that is visible in some of the photos. In some lesser used sections, the ATV/OHM/ORV crowd (many are winter snowmobilers as well) do a great job helping to keep the brush down and the trails unobstructed. This is also true of the loggers, bear hunters, and other sportsmen who use some of the more obscure tracks.

Like Dave points out, even though we pay license fees via the ORV and snowmobile sticker programs, and even though a portion of those fees support trail maintenance, the work does not get done without people (usually club members) going out to brush, groom, sign, and otherwise maintain the trails. There is formula for compensating clubs for this work from the state sticker funds. This is true for off-highway motorcycles, ATVs, other ORVs, and snowmobiles. The rates paid aren't extravagent and when you get into bridge work the money doesn't go too far.

This often unseen work is sometimes taken for granted.