Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2010, 08:23 PM   #1
A Dent OP

Oddometer: 40
Wisconsin to Alaska to Ushuaia 2010-11

Left for a long trip, decided to make it a way of life. That is all.

Adios

A Dent screwed with this post 04-20-2011 at 10:32 AM
A Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:24 AM   #2
RoadHD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Great Photos
Thanks for posting. I look forward to reading and seeing more!
RoadHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:12 AM   #3
moosey
Superconcentrated Bitch

Oddometer: 117
ADVExplorer,

It was great meeting you in the grocery store parking lot in Moab last week!

Great trip! Enjoy your ride south.

Rhonda
moosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,348
Awesome pics! When are you expecting to be at the US/Mexican border?

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:12 PM   #5
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVExplorer
Hey Cory -
Thanks! I plan on hooking up with another ADVer in Arizona around November 13 and then heading to Tijuana for the border crossing. I'll be following your trip, what a great adventure! I may not be far behind you, though I'll be sitting for a while in Guatemala - language immersion school.

If you plan on being anywhere around Bryce, Zion or the Grand Canyon in the next couple weeks and want to join up for a day ride let me know. I'm just meandering around the Utah area at the present.

Thanks for the tip on remapping for lower octane fuel, I'll be getting that done in Tuscon.

Today I picked up a real camera (my third on the trip). No more iPhone photos for this RR! A Canon D10 (thanks EnderTheX).
Cheers
We've both spent lots of time down the west coast so we want to get to Baja as soon as we can. We aren't planning on spending more than 4 or 5 days through Western Canada and the down the West coast. I expect/hope to be in Mexico by the 22nd or 23rd of Oct. I expect we will spend sometime in Spanish lessons too since neither of us know much Spanish at all. Our schedules may meet up at some point.

Ride safe.

Cory

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
AZ_ADV_RIDER
Demons In My Helmet

Oddometer: 799
Fantastic RR! Pics aren't all that bad via an iPhone - Seems you have some great gear and a sweet bike not to mention all the TT stuff - How come you didn't buy yourself a good digital camera before the trip?

The road to enlightenment is not paved.
AZ_ADV_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #7
1stworks
dude

Oddometer: 1,613

Thanks for posting!!!

Dont be bitchy
Smile.
1stworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:07 PM   #8
MikeinSA

Oddometer: 3,701
Great report! I give you the coveted '5 stars'. I had the F800 for a bit. I picked it up maybe 5 times one day and was pretty much crying and ready to leave it and walk out. You're a better man then me. I'll definitely be following this one, keep posting!
MikeinSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:19 PM   #9
The Toad
Let There Be Light

Oddometer: 1,132
Looks like a great trip/adventure

Thanks for sharing
The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:03 PM   #10
nx&ace
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Hello Stu. Mike(nx&ace) here. Good ride report. I enjoyed riding Corkscrew with you. Hope our paths cross again sometime. Have a good ride and be safe.
nx&ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:16 PM   #11
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,714
Hey Stu!

Epic ride man!

I love the Alaska pics, I really want to go up there some day.

Great Colorado pictures!! Looks like you had perfect weather and the trees were turning for ya too!

Also looks like you took some of my suggestions but you did Corkscrew too! Next time I'm up there I will definitely have to try it out.

Thanks for the report!
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:06 PM   #12
1994klr250
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
I haven't had a chance yet to read all of your report or look through all of the pictures, but I just wanted to say thank you for sharing your trip with us. I'm planning a trip next year and hope to ride some of the areas in Colorado that you visited. Great pictures as well, Fred.

1994 KLR250, 2009 F800GS, 2006 KLX351
1994klr250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:03 PM   #13
stickman1432
Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 741
Great RR ADVExplorer!!! I did the CDR this year and the Alaska Ride last year for 5+ weeks. your phots were excellent and you talk the truth, I need to go back next year and do Telegrah Road and the Campbell Highway with adding on the road to Eagle. Thanks for the time it took for the RR....

I really like the photos of the crashes near Basin MT.

Happy motoring!!!!!!!!

R1200GS-08', WR250R-08'
XR650R-03', 110 Honda-83'
stickman1432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:36 PM   #14
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,416
I Hate Those Bridges!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah yes...TESLIN (lake), YT is ONE of several bridges that have metal, see-through grating on the Alaska Highway. Advance notice of about 50 yards: sign saying "Rough bridge ahead".
http://commondatastorage.googleapis....l/40223874.jpg

You gets to look all the way down to the lake/river. Bike 'hunts' back and forth while you 'keep your eyes on where you want to go'...the END of the bridge. And, god forbid...don't dump the bike on the bridge as there are few railings that would stop you from going 'ker-plunk' into aforementioned lake/river. This bridge is about 2,500 feet long and is even more of a thrill when you have to share it with oncoming truckers.

How about trying one in the rain, as well? Holy-crapoly.

The other one of similar size/construction is leading into Fort St. John.

http://advexplorer.smugmug.com/Motor...0_6nGqF-XL.jpg

This is what the bridge really looks like:
http://commondatastorage.googleapis....l/41703030.jpg

OK...ok...I'm still alive. Whining finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVExplorer
While in Thailand earlier this year I started thinking about taking a lengthy bike trip. I wasn't returning to the USA until mid May so I needed to get going on getting the bike and related trip gear before I returned home. This meant evaluating the bike I'd want for the trip based in part on the ADV posters experiences. Deciding on the F800GS, I went about ordering gear for the bike and the trip. About 2 days after getting home, I had my bike and a crap load of bike and trip gear. Here's the shiny new beast post farkling and ready for trip gear.

I ventured from Madison, WI to Green Bay, WI to Duluth, MN and continued north for a bit longer. My plan was to ride as unpopulated roads as possible to get to Missoula, MT. I've always liked Missoula and spent 3 days bumming around the area and drinking plenty of Cold Smoke beer (I think it's 8% proof). Mmmmmm. Then it was off to Glacier NP, but I didn't stay too long as the crowds were terrible, it was raining and there was a bit of road construction delays in the park. Snapped a couple photos though of GNP.

Afterwards, I headed to Banff and Jasper NP's. Two of my favorite in the area. As would be the case for the next several days of riding, lots of tourist traffic. I tend to get antsy being around the crowds and push on for less civilization.

Perhaps I was expecting something much different, but I wasn't too impressed with riding the Alcan. It was overcast and raining most of the way though, so maybe it's more scenic when it's clear. I enjoy stopping at many of the local road side places if for nothing else to get a cup of coffee and see what conversations I can take in. Lots of good pie and coffee to be had in these parts

There was no shortage of wildlife along the Alcan. After a while, I found myself passing it much as I did in Yellowstone. I can take 2,000 photos of the vibrant yellow Colorado Aspens in fall and feel I need more, but 3 photos of buffalo, and I've reached my quota.

Canada is great. No matter where you ride it seems, they have these very timely spaced rest stops. In the middle of no where, but always stocked with toilet paper. Amazing.

Now I'm starting to see what I came here for. Awesome.

It's a little known fact that Canada is home to the largest population of Insect Vampires in the world. Only 1 in 5 tourists make it out alive.

After my morning oatmeal and coffee I decided to go for a hike before hitting the road again. This guy had been wading in the water and I didn't see him until I was too close (camera phone pic...too close).

On a tip from another rider, I checked into the dorms at the University of Alaska - Fairbanks. About $30 for a single room I think. A short walk to good restaurants and bars. Lots of motorbikers making the northerly trip or just returning from it. I made a reservation for 2 nights for my return trip. Free laundry to boot!

Leaving the dorms I headed for the haul road, so I'll start that in another post. Cheers.

LaurelPerryOnLand screwed with this post 10-16-2010 at 08:55 PM
LaurelPerryOnLand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:50 PM   #15
stickman1432
Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 741
If you're in Baja I'll be passing through there in November. If so, let me know if you have time and want to head out for a day ride...or tip back one, two or ten cold ones.
Thanks for reading! Cheers, Stu[/quote]

Hey Stu I am going down on Nov 14th returning after the BAJA 1000 race finishes in La Paz around the 21st. But I will be in a pick up pulling a fifth wheel flat bed, I'll look for your orange GS 800. Watch out for all the crazy locals but the gringos are worse during the race time.
stickman1432 is offline   Reply With Quote