User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
fullmetalscooter OP
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,744
so where are the old motorcycle museums

Next to the wheels of time and the factory Harley museums what do guys think the best ones to see for old bikes and cars in the USA and Canada? where are the ones you ve liked or seen?
Old 10-10-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,934
Barber has some pre 1920 bikes. Most are later, but still the best museum I've been in.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,910
Solvang, CA.

Near Santa Barbara....worth the trip.
http://www.motosolvang.com/
Old 10-10-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
regal403
vanilla_g0rilla

Oddometer: 486
I found this place to be chock full of cool bikes and paraphernalia:
http://www.nationalmcmuseum.org/
regal403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:00 PM   #5
Wandering Dane
We are the luckiest guys

Oddometer: 343
+1 on the Solvang museum.

Vintage Motos (www.vintagemotos.com) in Denver is spectacular: 200 bike, 66 makes from 36 different countries.
Wandering Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:43 PM   #6
Brent4ADV
Enjoying empty roads...

Oddometer: 1,006
Barber!

+1 on Barber Vintage Motorcycle Museum! I live a few minutes away from it and I visit multiples times yearly since they are constantly rotating bikes in and out of the museum. They keep around 600 bikes on display and have everything from diesel military klrs to rotary engined bikes to a bike that can be carried as a suitcase. The total collection is around 1,200 bikes. Over 200 makes are represented from 20 countries. Another neat thing about the museum is that any bike in it can be running within an hour! The museum also restores many of the bikes itself and has a full machine shop in the bottom in case they need to make a part that is no longer available.

Mr. Barber also has the largest lotus race car collection in the world, which is on display in the museum. There are other cars but the majority are Lotus. The annual vintage motorcycle festival was this past weekend so that's also a great time to go since the museum sits right next to the track at Barber Motorsports Park where you can see the vintage bikes race during the vintage festival. As part of the festival they hold a "Century Race" in which only bikes that are at least 100 years old can get on the track. The riders usually dress in period clothing as well.

As you can see in the pictures, the elevator in the middle of the structure is surrounded by stacked bikes but the main attractions are found as you spiral your way down 5 floors. There are also a few themed areas to represent certain historical periods.

Brent4ADV screwed with this post 10-10-2010 at 11:37 PM
Brent4ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:24 AM   #7
fullmetalscooter OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent4ADV
+1 on Barber Vintage Motorcycle Museum! I live a few minutes away from it and I visit multiples times yearly since they are constantly rotating bikes in and out of the museum. They keep around 600 bikes on display and have everything from diesel military klrs to rotary engined bikes to a bike that can be carried as a suitcase. The total collection is around 1,200 bikes. Over 200 makes are represented from 20 countries. Another neat thing about the museum is that any bike in it can be running within an hour! The museum also restores many of the bikes itself and has a full machine shop in the bottom in case they need to make a part that is no longer available.

Mr. Barber also has the largest lotus race car collection in the world, which is on display in the museum. There are other cars but the majority are Lotus. The annual vintage motorcycle festival was this past weekend so that's also a great time to go since the museum sits right next to the track at Barber Motorsports Park where you can see the vintage bikes race during the vintage festival. As part of the festival they hold a "Century Race" in which only bikes that are at least 100 years old can get on the track. The riders usually dress in period clothing as well.

As you can see in the pictures, the elevator in the middle of the structure is surrounded by stacked bikes but the main attractions are found as you spiral your way down 5 floors. There are also a few themed areas to represent certain historical periods.

I think one of CRACKED IMATES HERE WOULD LOVE THAT PC800. A NICE REPLace more his old one.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:11 AM   #8
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 923
Barber +1 Billion

VERY few places in life live up to the hype. I always feel let down when visiting most places people tell me are "must see".

Barber is is one of those rare places that not only lives up to the hype, but absolutely shatters all of your notions of what an epic destination can be.

The Grand Canyon is another.

A "Bucket List" place for sure. Just go there.

10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:22 AM   #9
MrBob
Certified Geezer

Oddometer: 7,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Dane
+1 on the Solvang museum.

Vintage Motos (www.vintagemotos.com) in Denver is spectacular: 200 bike, 66 makes from 36 different countries.
I've lived in Colorado for 3 years and this is the first I've heard of this place. Must go - and thanks for the link.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:52 AM   #10
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,496
Well you are in BC you must have seen that, if not you better go....!

http://www.deeleymotorcycleexhibition.ca/index.htm

Then this in Quebec I saw last summer and where, by chance, I met a friend I hadn't seen since she left BC in 1981.

http://www.epopeedelamoto.com/epopee_en.asp?no=49

And this in Summerland.....make sure the sound is on your computer before you click on this link....!

http://www.nixdorfclassiccars.com/

And this is pretty interesting if you also like trains and old buildings, there is a few cars there.

http://www.3valley.com/

And because I like rusty old junk and wished I had one of them in my front yard.....this in Tappen BC.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:57 AM   #11
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
This one is about 20 minutes from me in Maggie Valley NC.
http://www.wheelsthroughtime.com/

It's a cool place but it's really, really, really early stuff.
doogiepooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:18 AM   #12
robustus0007
Sniper

Oddometer: 81
The Barber Vintage Museum is simply impressive
Old 10-12-2010, 12:52 AM   #13
fullmetalscooter OP

http://www.deeleymotorcycleexhibition.ca/index.htm

Yap been there and back in 93 when he was giving an interview I saw he had the collection. Phone them up and they said they re in storage is richmond feel free to ( they hadn't open the museum) Show up any time and I did. Some guy said they re in there back there and left me alone with all the bikes for 3 hours. All I can say is no one going to let me sit on another 1919 triumph or the host of other bikes I got touch and sit on. With the pictures taking hadn't been a bust. thanks so far guys.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:50 AM   #14
TURBOBOB50
studd muffin

Oddometer: 25
Bill's Old Bike Barn in PA.

Never been there but site looks appealing.

http://www.billsbikebarn.com/index.php?pageid=1

one good test is worth a thousand expert opinions

"I have learned to use the word 'impossible' with the greatest caution" Werner von Braun

TURBOBOB50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:11 AM   #15
Hanzo
KLUANE

Oddometer: 408
Indiana has a small but nice one. POST 100, WOO HOO!!

http://www.kerstingscycle.com/muse.html

Hanzo is offline   Reply With Quote