Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2014, 04:23 AM   #1
MiteyF OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,776
Moto camping w/SO... sleeping solutions?

The only "issue" I've been trying to solve for years when it comes to moto camping. Most of the time when I'm bike camping, I'm with the fiance. As of right now, she doesn't have a highway-capable moto (DR200 is her daily rider) so when we camp, it's 2 up on the Wee. Space is a premium, but we always make it work. Sleeping however gets tricky. I'm a picky sleeper, and don't do well with just a sleeping bag on the rocky ground, however with 2 people, we usually don't have any room for sleeping pads.

I've always wanted to try a hammock (space/weight savings are an added bonus, along with easy setup/teardown), but just can't imagine how this would work with 2 people. I tend to toss and turn.

I've also considered one of the nice lightweight cots, but 2 of these would be enormous, both on the bike and in the tent (and I'm sure as shit not buying an even bigger tent!)

So the question I think here is, how do you guys do it? Is there a good small(ish) lightweight 2 person cot on the market? Has anyone tried a 2 person hammock, and if so, how did it work out for you?
Old 03-31-2014, 06:14 AM   #2
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,326
Mrs1911fan has her own 650, but really prefers cushy sleeping. For now, we're using an air mattress, rolls up into a stuffsack and we bring the power inflator pump. Thermally inadequate but comfortable; this year we'll try Thermarests on top of it for thermal protection.
I've been wandering the web off and on for several months, still haven't found a better/more practical idea.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:16 AM   #3
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 14,418
2 people in a hammock is usually not good ( for sleeping)

one hammock hung directly over another though ( nearly or somewhat touching)
means you can share the shelter ( tarp) and also its quite a bit warmer for the top person.

of course this means 2 hammocks, and double rigging.

at that point, 2 backpacking type air mattresses are about the same bulk

Charter member: T.O. club.

Tilt your head, not the taco.
mouthfulloflake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:20 AM   #4
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 614
We use a big Agnes big Bertha sleeping bag - a two person bag. We use thermarests as the pads, they slip into pockets on the sleeping bag perfectly. Big Agnes also makes their own proprietary pads. In my experience this setup is as good as you can do for sleeping together. Also sleeping comfortably changes the entire experience. All together it's a little bulky, but I would look at other places to compromise before going without.
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:32 AM   #5
birdie_xx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
I used to use two separate down sleeping bags and REI Camp Beds. Very comfortable to sleep on, but I couldn't figure out a good way to pack the pads small. Now I have the Big Agnes King Salomon double bag and two Exped pads, that fit into the BA's sleeves. The new bag and the two new Exped pads take less space than one Camp Bed…. To add a thermal barrier from the ground, I lay down the "emergency blanket" underneath ;) My Wife also claims She's warmer in the BA double bag than She was in her 20F degree bag.
So far so good….
birdie_xx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:03 AM   #6
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,523
I hammock camp when solo. With wife or daughter everything would be doubled so I take a tent.
I just got my second hammock so I'll try it with my daughter going under/over using one tarp. But I still think a tent would be better option.

We usually do weekend trips so one side case is hers, one is mine, and the trunk for cooking and other shared stuff.
Strap the tent to the top of one case.

Hammock bliss makes a double "sky tent" hammock so it's one hammock for sleeping one above the other but uses one suspension.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:25 PM   #7
MiteyF OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
2 people in a hammock is usually not good ( for sleeping)
This was my thinking. I don't think she'd be up for the whole "you sleep there and I'll sleep here" thing, and I don't think *I* would be up for the whole "can't fuck in the hammock" thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post
We use a big Agnes big Bertha sleeping bag - a two person bag. We use thermarests as the pads, they slip into pockets on the sleeping bag perfectly. Big Agnes also makes their own proprietary pads. In my experience this setup is as good as you can do for sleeping together. Also sleeping comfortably changes the entire experience. All together it's a little bulky, but I would look at other places to compromise before going without.
A double sleeping bag is on the list. Takes up no more (if not less) room than 2 singles, and body heat really does wonders I've found. 2 people in 1 big bag is usually warmer and more comfortable (to me at least) than 2 separate bags. Not to mention easier to pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie_xx View Post
I used to use two separate down sleeping bags and REI Camp Beds. Very comfortable to sleep on, but I couldn't figure out a good way to pack the pads small. Now I have the Big Agnes King Salomon double bag and two Exped pads, that fit into the BA's sleeves. The new bag and the two new Exped pads take less space than one Camp Bed…. To add a thermal barrier from the ground, I lay down the "emergency blanket" underneath ;) My Wife also claims She's warmer in the BA double bag than She was in her 20F degree bag.
So far so good….
My biggest problem with pads is A) I always slide off in the night, and B) like Dave said, they just don't pack down very well. 2 sleeping bags plus a tent plus 2 pads takes up a LOT of space.

The best solution I've found so far are those inflatable floaty mats from the dollar store. They're light and pack real small, and are fairly comfortable. The best part is, if you pop one, you can just throw it away and buy another. However, they're a bit of a PITA to deflate and pack away nicely.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:37 PM   #8
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,523
If you get big agnes bags they have a slot in them so the pad slides in. Also, because they don't have bottom insulation they pack small.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:56 PM   #9
MiteyF OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
If you get big agnes bags they have a slot in them so the pad slides in. Also, because they don't have bottom insulation they pack small.
Looking into it now, thanks!
Old 03-31-2014, 02:58 PM   #10
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 14,418
there are good air mats available that pack a bit smaller than the pool floats, and these you can actually more than a time or two, the pool floats always leaked on me..

the one I have was bought 10+ years ago, insulmat max thermo air.

but the newer exped mats are the same basic idea.

http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/mats

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
My biggest problem with pads is A) I always slide off in the night, and B) like Dave said, they just don't pack down very well. 2 sleeping bags plus a tent plus 2 pads takes up a LOT of space.

The best solution I've found so far are those inflatable floaty mats from the dollar store. They're light and pack real small, and are fairly comfortable. The best part is, if you pop one, you can just throw it away and buy another. However, they're a bit of a PITA to deflate and pack away nicely.

Charter member: T.O. club.

Tilt your head, not the taco.
mouthfulloflake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:07 PM   #11
MiteyF OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
there are good air mats available that pack a bit smaller than the pool floats, and these you can actually more than a time or two, the pool floats always leaked on me..

the one I have was bought 10+ years ago, insulmat max thermo air.

but the newer exped mats are the same basic idea.

http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/mats
Those look nice... although I doubt they pack any smaller than a pool float. When you get *all* the air out, mine goes down to about 8" square and an inch thick.

Maggot, I just looked at the Big Agnes stuff, and their Dream Island 15 looks tits, and at a good price. However, I'm wondering how big the bag and the pad pack down. It kind of surprises me that they don't list the packed dimensions. That, and $200 for their pad
Old 03-31-2014, 03:59 PM   #12
OTB
Oh fer Chrissakes

Oddometer: 6,827
I've ridden two up for over 35 years. Every year our gear gets more compact. We use a high quality Western Mountaineering rectangular down bag. It is laid open and zipped to a bottom sheet (made by Western Mountaineering) with pockets for exped insulated mats or Big Agnes air core mats which are even smaller. It's like sleeping on a double bed with a down comforter over you and a sheet under you. Zippers on each side and across the bottom give you maximum climate control from over 90 to 30. The bag stays set up like this and fits in a single compression sack. All of this takes up less space than most single set ups.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:22 PM   #13
deadzed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
Looking into it now, thanks!
This.

Big Agnes bags pack very small. Quite comfortable with the Big Agnes Q-Core pads.
The womens models have the zipper on the opposite side so that you can zip the bags together.

We use one Encampment & one Lulu bag with a pair of 3.5" Q-Core pads. Works great & using compression bags the pair of them pack down smaller than one regular bag.
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence
deadzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:28 PM   #14
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
You need to think "backpacking" vs car or motorcycle camping. Those folks are pros at shaving ounces and packing small. As the gear "shrinks" the price goes up exponentially...but it is generally worth it.
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:15 PM   #15
MiteyF OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Preacher View Post
You need to think "backpacking" vs car or motorcycle camping. Those folks are pros at shaving ounces and packing small. As the gear "shrinks" the price goes up exponentially...but it is generally worth it.
To some extent. I personally find moto camping to be the perfect compromise between car camping and backpacking (which I also enjoy). I have found there is a happy medium between "quality" backpacking stuff and "regular" camping items regarding size, price, comfort, ease of use etc.

Either way we've got plenty of really great "camping" threads, I'm just looking for a comfy, packable way to sleep 2!