User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2014, 04:06 PM   #1
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Oddometer: 398
Heidenau K60 Scout vs TKCs on Triumph Tiger 800 XC

I decided to post this thread because I'd wished I'd done more research myself before taking the opinion of two riders on what tires to get.

I've been riding 7+ years now. Usually multi-country tours over long distances 10K+ miles, 30+ days and always run TKC's. I've run them on my BMW 650 and now on the Tiger 800 XC. I must say that I get between 7-10K miles with the rear and double that for the front. I'm a girl, pack surprisingly light and don't gun it all the time so that could be why they seem to last longer for me. I've always liked them even when the knobs were low because the edges still grip when riding dirt just as well. I find the first 300-500 miles a bit bumpy until the knobs even out a bit but overall what I consider a smooth ride.

I got talked into Heidenau K60 scout and boy do I hate those suckers.

First thing I noticed was an incredibly strong vibration throughout the frame, so much so that after 2 blocks from the shop pulled over and looked to see if the tires were rubbing the frame somewhere. It's a deep, permeating vibration and believe it or not, I think the TKC's are smoother than these.

Other people have complained about the sound they emit at higher speeds, I didn't notice that as much.

The other thing I find un-nerving is whenever I go over a metal plate (for example on bridges where they connect sections) the back tire wobbles just like you would expect on dirt. It's fun on dirt. It's not fun on pavement. It was a dry warm day, no dampness on the metal and yes yes I know about the first 200 miles being tricky due to the slippage issue but this is over 300 miles now and it still does it. I dred going over the bridge now with these tires and guess what folks, we've got 6 bridges.

About the only thing good I've got to say is that when the front tire when flat on me 2 weeks after I bought them, the sidewalls are so stiff and tough that I could only really tell under 20 MPH and still was able to ride a good 1000 feet and down an off ramp from the freeway, come to a full stop and make it through the intersection to a gas station without much effort.

TKC's from now on baby.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:20 PM   #2
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Well according to most you are half right and half wrong. I also HAD a T800XC. I went through quite a few tires. The combo that worked best for me, and is very popular with others, is the K60 rear with a TKC front. The K60 gives you great traction and longevity while the TKC front has great road manners for a tire of that design and its not too bad offroad either. But then again, tires are like oil. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:22 PM   #3
stephen.stallebrass
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Can't comment on the vibes and noise but agree with everything else. I don't like them on my F800GS. I high sided on wet tram Tracks in Irkutsk with K60s. The one other thing going for them is that they're super hard wearing big mile tyres... but if you're getting that from the TKCs then fair play. Bit of a game breaking the K60 bead too, even with the side stand trick.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:55 PM   #4
TigerXC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
I have been riding an 800XC for a couple of years now. Put K60s on last summer. I am actually quite impressed with them...except at about 25 mph where there is a very noticeable vibration. Keeping the tire pressure up F36 R38 helps a lot. The vibration seems to be decreasing with mileage. It seems to be the front tire. So I think having a TKC front with a K60 rear is the preferred set up. That is what I'll be trying next.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:37 PM   #5
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,035
So far my favorite combo for dirt was the Mitas E07 Dakar rear and TKC 80 front. Guy from Canada got from San Diego to TDF on A set of E07s. The E07 got better traction on dirt than the TKC. I couldn't spin up the rear on the Mitas like I did on TKC. That was on a Girlie and the 800XC I just bought will be primarily street with a KLR in the stable.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:44 AM   #6
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Well according to most you are half right and half wrong. I also HAD a T800XC. I went through quite a few tires. The combo that worked best for me, and is very popular with others, is the K60 rear with a TKC front. The K60 gives you great traction and longevity while the TKC front has great road manners for a tire of that design and its not too bad offroad either. But then again, tires are like oil. Different strokes for different folks.
Always thought it was bad ju-ju to put different tires on the front and rear but this is not the first time I've given that opinion. I dislike these tires so much that I've considered getting rid of them altogether but replacing the front with a TKC could at least mitigate most of the problem.

Thanks
Old 01-29-2014, 08:49 AM   #7
kevin2735
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
The other thing I find un-nerving is whenever I go over a metal plate (for example on bridges where they connect sections) the back tire wobbles just like you would expect on dirt.
I too noticed that on my GSA, down south in the LA area we have the grooved freeway lanes and at times it can be unnerving. That said, I actually like these tires. I like that they last beyond 10K if I am easy on the throttle. It's the only tire I have used that has given that much life. What can I say I'm a cheap bastard.

http://kevin2735.blogspot.com/
kevin2735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:53 AM   #8
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialAgentNancy View Post
Always thought it was bad ju-ju to put different tires on the front and rear but this is not the first time I've given that opinion. I dislike these tires so much that I've considered getting rid of them altogether but replacing the front with a TKC could at least mitigate most of the problem.

Thanks
It's worth a try. As far as the bad juju, I have always gone by the same thought on pure road bikes. Enduro's ,or multi-purpose bikes, are a different animal. I think once you try the combo you will see its a great compromise. If you ride nothing but Tarmac on the Tiger, I might suggest the Anakee III. Best of luck
Old 01-29-2014, 09:25 AM   #9
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
What's so wrong with the k60 front? I'm happy with them. I can spin up the rear k60 in the gravel but enjoy that aspect.

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650
rustynut2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:01 AM   #10
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynut2 View Post
What's so wrong with the k60 front? I'm happy with them. I can spin up the rear k60 in the gravel but enjoy that aspect.
Good point. I've not taken them in the dirt yet and will report back after I do.

There is an event beginning May that is 3 days of Mendocino National Forest. Great opportunity to try them as is before I make a switch.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:14 AM   #11
ADVGirlCharlotte
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 86
All I can add it that I love my TKC's on my Tiger
Even though they don't last very long, I don't mind.

http://www.globalwomenwhoride.com/?p=4311
ADVGirlCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:18 AM   #12
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynut2 View Post
It's road manners are not as good as the TKC front. Especially when the Tarmac is wet. And they are not as good offroad either.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:17 PM   #13
woodschip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
K 60's Are GOOOOOD

After a few years of riding, my 05 Tiger 955i goes very well on K60's. Guess that's why they make all kinds of sizes, shapes, and colors. Just glad we have the luxury of being able to choose between good products. Remember when we ran tires till they were slick as the top of my head.
woodschip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:23 PM   #14
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
So far my favorite combo for dirt was the Mitas E07 Dakar rear and TKC 80 front. Guy from Canada got from San Diego to TDF on A set of E07s.

I'm convinced I'm going to do this combo for my Heart of the West ride in Sept. 4000mi total, 2800 mi mostly off-pavement.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:36 AM   #15
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodschip View Post
After a few years of riding, my 05 Tiger 955i goes very well on K60's. Guess that's why they make all kinds of sizes, shapes, and colors. Just glad we have the luxury of being able to choose between good products. Remember when we ran tires till they were slick as the top of my head.
True. Rode over some more metal sections yesterday, same thing. The front tire just doesn't feel like it plants well. I get a slight wobble if I lane share and ride over the bumps. Leaning towards take the advice on a front TKC, that could do the trick.

I wonder if the extra weight of your Tiger helps.