User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2004, 07:10 AM   #1
twinrider OP
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,664
Question Ortlieb Dry Bag Saddlebags?

I'm in the market for soft panniers for my Fazer and Ortlieb's Dry Bag Saddlebags seem like good bags. Love to hear your opinion on 'em if you've used 'em.

twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 07:20 AM   #2
GSGIRL
Neither here nor there

Oddometer: 5,051
I have an Ortleid Dry duffel that I strap to the back of my GS. It's great and has kept everything dry.

CroMag has the Aerostich panniers, but I do not think they are waterproof.

The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see.

SmugMug Coupon: guwbixLxjaoTI
Save $5! I did!
GSGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 07:33 AM   #3
Eurobiker
Vintage Cat Herder

Oddometer: 5,851
The only knock I've heard about them is they're a bit small. Of course, this came from someone going to Alaska so YMMV. For weekends on the Fazer, they'll be fine, IMHO. Just keep them away from the pipe.

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Eurobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 07:52 AM   #4
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,153
On a small dual sport they work great. Only about 19L at best. kinda a pain to get in and out of when on the road.

I use them on my 640 and have used them on my GS.

Be careful of how close they come to yur pipes

For yur bike I would look at RKA and other soft bags that are a bit bigger.
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 07:55 AM   #5
Stephen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,174
Okay, unlike the venerable and indeed venerated (and rightly so) GSGirl, I'll try to answer your question: Ortlieb saddlebags are terrific. Swell. Really nice. All they claim to be. Just what you want. Outstanding. Hope I'm not repeating myself myself or others. Only a few dozen posts already praising Ortliebs, but they're hard to find as you have to type both words into Search.

Quit fucking around and get the bags. Ortliebs are the only true shit. All the other false shit sucks. Zippers suck. Velcro sucks. Pockets suck. Cordura sucks. Little thingies with stuff on'em suck. Do the right thing.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 08:12 AM   #6
twinrider OP
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad
On a small dual sport they work great. Only about 19L at best. kinda a pain to get in and out of when on the road.
For yur bike I would look at RKA and other soft bags that are a bit bigger.
I've had RKA's 47-liter panniers and liked them but thought it'd be nice to not have to worry about rain. Ortieb's bags are also advertised at having a 47-liter capacity. Is this hype? Does the folding closure eat up the storage space? My other concern is access. How hard is it to get at stuff in the bags?

Thanks.
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 08:42 AM   #7
Boojum
I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer: 5,934
I Like Mine!

TwinRider,
i have a set and have used them for 2 years now. I use them on my XR-650L and they work nice. I had built, an brace that fits under the side cover to keep it off the Pipe. I did super glue a carpet piece inside them on the plastic-bottom and side piece to keep things from sliding around. That worked very well also. Water Proof, Adjustable, and Usable. I Like Mine!

Boojum!
Boojum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 09:11 AM   #8
Stephen
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider
...a 47-liter capacity. Is this hype? Does the folding closure eat up the storage space? My other concern is access. How hard is it to get at stuff in the bags?
I never measured. A three-quarters-full grocery sack fits. A bag of cat food and two bottles of wine fit with room for crackers and cheese. A half-dozen MRE's and a few beers fit, but you'd be better off with the cat food.

To open the bag, you undo three fastex buckles and unroll the top. How hard that is would be subjective. I did toss the cute shoulder strap that goes under and just buckle the sides over the top. Less is more.

The roll top doesn't eat up space; the roll top isn't space, it's a lid.
Carpeting the interior eats up space; putting other stuff you might actually find useful keeps stuff from moving around.

If you don't think less is more, then stay the hell away from the Ortliebs.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:11 AM   #9
BeeCeeGS
WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer: 1,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider
I'm in the market for soft panniers for my Fazer and Ortlieb's Dry Bag Saddlebags seem like good bags. Love to hear your opinion on 'em if you've used 'em.
Excellent product. They are definitely waterproof and if you need more space, throw a dry bag over the top of the saddlebags.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:59 AM   #10
cyclecat
half post a day wonder

Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
I did toss the cute shoulder strap that goes under and just buckle the sides over the top. Less is more.
Interesting way to handle it. I never thought of it. I imagine you could even loop the resulting loop over the ends of a tent or camp chair lying across the back of your seat which would result in holding that item while also offering some additional "lift" for the bags.

I've only used mine for a half dozen trips, but one of those was 400 miles of constant rain and everything stayed dry. I also took them to Big Bend and Galveston. They seem bullet proof. I fabricated a homemade rack from PVC to keep them off the exhaust on the right side:
Old 08-18-2004, 11:54 AM   #11
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclecat
I fabricated a homemade rack from PVC to keep them off the exhaust on the right side:
The rack is a good point.

On my 640 I have a HT side rack and so the bags hang great and stay very secure. On my GS there is no side rack so when you load the bags they can sag in towards the rear wheel. This is an issue with all soft bags, not just these.

I think they are the best dual sport bag made.
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 12:45 PM   #12
Stephen
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclecat
...I fabricated a homemade rack from PVC to keep them off the exhaust...
Attaboy, CCat.

No whinin' from Da Cat, he just TCB.

Yeah, Ortliebs are tough. Their side-opening duffle is the mutt's nuts, too. Oh, and the duffle is not for "more space", it's for your tent, tarp, pad, and sleeping bag; pop it off, stroll to your campsite and build a home. Gotta have a system for packing, right? Onside bag gets the stuff I'll need frequently or quickly, like raingear and extra layers and chapstick, offside bag holds the less-frequently needed stuff that I probably shouldn't have brought at all.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:58 PM   #13
boxertwin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Attaboy, CCat.

No whinin' from Da Cat, he just TCB.

Yeah, Ortliebs are tough. Their side-opening duffle is the mutt's nuts, too. Oh, and the duffle is not for "more space", it's for your tent, tarp, pad, and sleeping bag; pop it off, stroll to your campsite and build a home. Gotta have a system for packing, right? Onside bag gets the stuff I'll need frequently or quickly, like raingear and extra layers and chapstick, offside bag holds the less-frequently needed stuff that I probably shouldn't have brought at all.
Offside bag gets Boxertwins pistol and valuables when in Natl park or drinking in the pub. Ortleib sucks....unless of course you want your stuff to stay dry.
boxertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 07:23 PM   #14
LKYPHL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Soft panniers

These here Andy Strapz panniers

http://www.andystrapz.com/expedition_panniers.htm

have a good reputation in Oz. Might be worth checkin' 'em out.
LKYPHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 07:36 PM   #15
Different Drummer
On The Road Less Traveled

Oddometer: 420
Tank Panniers?

Well,
Everyone seems to like them. Some comments about being small makes me wonder how they may work as tank panniers.
Anyone tried them in that application?
DD

03 R1150 Adv.
Different Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote