Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2011, 10:02 AM   #46
HrlyKng
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I did the final mod as posted. Egret directions. Soldering was a nightmare. Not as ne'er as shown her in the pics but it worked. Thanks for the tip. Can't wait to try it.
HrlyKng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:57 AM   #47
JetGrl
FJR Pilot

Oddometer: 53
Offer to perform the mod for you...

I did this mod as described and it came out perfect.

I dumped a Sena system due to the clamp breaking continually but was disappointed in the sound volume out of the G4 speakers. I found some great in ear canal buds with a 22" cord and the combination comes out just fine.

I have sourced the jacks and can do the mod for anyone interested in having someone else do it for you.

send me an email and I will respond with the instructions to send in your clamp. I can get it done for you and on the way back in a day or 2 for $30.

Eileen (JetGrl) Kelleher

JetGrl screwed with this post 05-23-2011 at 09:13 AM
JetGrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:51 PM   #48
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
Mod for $30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetGrl View Post

send me an email and I will respond with the instructions to send in your clamp. I can get it done for you and on the way back in a day or 2 for $30.

Eileen (JetGrl) Kelleher
Wow. That is a lot of painstaking work for $30. You should post in Vendors and line up quite a few customers. Good luck!!
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:53 PM   #49
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:

I dumped a Sena system due to the clamp breaking continually but was disappointed in the sound volume out of the G4 speakers. I found some great in ear canal buds with a 22" cord and the combination comes out just fine.

I have sourced the jacks and can do the mod for anyone interested in having someone else do it for you.

Eileen (JetGrl) Kelleher
Are you affiliated with any other inmate here? Seeing that this was your first post may shy people away from sending you their stuff for you to mod. It's not personal, just a fact.

I'd be much more comfortable having you perform the work on my $300 communication system if I knew someone who would vouch for you here.

anyone? anyone? Beuhler?
Old 05-24-2011, 03:37 AM   #50
Shakeyhands
Goober

Oddometer: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by macadamia View Post
Are you affiliated with any other inmate here? Seeing that this was your first post may shy people away from sending you their stuff for you to mod. It's not personal, just a fact.

I'd be much more comfortable having you perform the work on my $300 communication system if I knew someone who would vouch for you here.

anyone? anyone? Beuhler?
ditto...

KTM 990 ADV

Honda XR650L
Shakeyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #51
JetGrl
FJR Pilot

Oddometer: 53
Intro

I am not affiliated with anyone here that I know of. I participate in the FJRForum and AZBeemers.

I am a retired IT manager with 30 years experience supporting computer systems, before that I was employed as a Biomedical Electronics Technician with Hewlett-Packard. I was also employed by IBM Global Services as a Technical Solutions Architect.

I assume you aren't going to send the whole communicator, just the $46 clamp assembly, for modification.

If you have qualms about sending it, how about this... You can send the clamp, I'll modify it and send it back, and you can send the money after you receive it. Not a big deal, the parts cost is not really very much after all.

I found the ADVRider forum when I was googling for a solution to the speaker problem with the G4. I never really thought about this forum before since I ride a sport touring bike and I didn't think I would fit in. I guess I was wrong, there is plenty here that is interesting since I am interested in long distance riding and have been farkling my bike since I got it.

The mod is actually pretty easy to do for someone who has soldering experience.

So if you would like someone else to do the mod for you just send me a PM or email me at eileen.kelleher@gmail.com. I will give you my contact info and I'll get you taken care of.
JetGrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:00 PM   #52
TonyClifton
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
I am not affiliated with anyone here that I know of. I participate in the FJRForum and AZBeemers.

I am a retired IT manager with 30 years experience supporting computer systems, before that I was employed as a Biomedical Electronics Technician with Hewlett-Packard. I was also employed by IBM Global Services as a Technical Solutions Architect.

I assume you aren't going to send the whole communicator, just the $46 clamp assembly, for modification.

If you have qualms about sending it, how about this... You can send the clamp, I'll modify it and send it back, and you can send the money after you receive it. Not a big deal, the parts cost is not really very much after all.

I found the ADVRider forum when I was googling for a solution to the speaker problem with the G4. I never really thought about this forum before since I ride a sport touring bike and I didn't think I would fit in. I guess I was wrong, there is plenty here that is interesting since I am interested in long distance riding and have been farkling my bike since I got it.

The mod is actually pretty easy to do for someone who has soldering experience.

So if you would like someone else to do the mod for you just send me a PM or email me at eileen.kelleher@gmail.com. I will give you my contact info and I'll get you taken care of.
I just had my Scala G4 mod done by Eileen. It works GREAT, I live fairly local to her. Shipped Monday, back to my house by Thursday, works just like everybody said it would. I tested the set with a cheap set of earplugs I have lying around the house.

I purchased a set of S plugs from www.plugup.com and also bought one of the volume controls to moderate the ear plug volume. I am waiting for that package to arrive.

Nice job Eileen!

Thanks.

Yes, I am a newbie, but I found this whole web site and thread trying to find a solution to the Scala ear buds.
TonyClifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #53
Wistrick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyClifton View Post
I just had my Scala G4 mod done by Eileen. It works GREAT, I live fairly local to her. Shipped Monday, back to my house by Thursday, works just like everybody said it would. I tested the set with a cheap set of earplugs I have lying around the house.

I purchased a set of S plugs from www.plugup.com and also bought one of the volume controls to moderate the ear plug volume. I am waiting for that package to arrive.

Nice job Eileen!

Thanks.

Yes, I am a newbie, but I found this whole web site and thread trying to find a solution to the Scala ear buds.
Eileen did mine as well, she does good work...Im enjoying my mods gonna send her my wifes to her next...

Dan
Wistrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:56 AM   #54
kriehl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Scala Rider Modifications

I have had so many issues with the stock speakers not lasting because you have to crank up the volume to hear the other riders. The mod I came up with fits the entire aux jack inside the plastic case. Very clean and durable. No melting or stripping wires, nothing to snag and rip off the unit.

Name:  Scala Mod.jpg
Views: 1503
Size:  132.7 KB

keith.riehl@gmail.com
kriehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #55
Bobonli
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Does anyone have a picture of their earphones connected to this unit and how they manage the cables that they'd be kind enough to post?

I'm trying to visualize what happens with the cables, how you put the helmet on etc. I imagine you put the phones in first, then the helmet and plug in last. A pic would be helpful.

Thanks
Bobonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:53 PM   #56
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriehl View Post
I have had so many issues with the stock speakers not lasting because you have to crank up the volume to hear the other riders. The mod I came up with fits the entire aux jack inside the plastic case. Very clean and durable. No melting or stripping wires, nothing to snag and rip off the unit.

Attachment 282595

keith.riehl@gmail.com
For safety sake, I do not recommend this placement of the plug. In the event of a crash, if you land on your shoulder/head at approximately the same time, there is a possibility of driving the earphone plug into your shoulder. I know, I know, we all are ATGATT savvy, however, I have had a few get-offs where I have ended up on this part of my anatomy at the beginning of a crash. If a tornado can drive a blade of straw through a telephone pole, I think the force of my body weight landing on my helmet/shoulder at the same time could cause some damage if something were sticking out of the bottom of the helmet. YMMV

Also, if you (as I do when I ride off-road) wear a neck brace (Leatt or EPS, for example), this will get in the way of the clearance between the brace and the bottom of the helmet. I have worn my road helmet with my neck brace and the placement of my G-4 does not impede my neck brace or cause any undue discomfort in my normal riding. I have yet to crash test my neck brace with my road helmet (Shoei X-12); however, I have crash tested my off-road helmet (Shoei VFX-W) with the neck brace, but I do not have the G-4 installed on that helmet yet. (the neck brace cradled my helmet causing my torso to take the brunt of the get-off, not my neck - my neck was not even sore after the crash... as for my ribs, that's another story...)

Old 08-15-2011, 05:21 PM   #57
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Quote:

Eileen (JetGrl) Kelleher
How many have you done? I plan to send my unit into the manufacturer to have them look at the static crackling issues I have been having. When my unit is returned, I will be right at my one year point for the warranty so I would like to do this mod. I am good with electronics and solder, however, if you have more practice (and already have the parts), I'd rather you perform the microsurgery. Let me know...
Old 08-15-2011, 07:44 PM   #58
Isorg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
Does anyone have a picture of their earphones connected to this unit and how they manage the cables that they'd be kind enough to post?

I'm trying to visualize what happens with the cables, how you put the helmet on etc. I imagine you put the phones in first, then the helmet and plug in last. A pic would be helpful.

Thanks
Here is how I put mine on.

1. Put on jacket (don't zip up all the way)

2. Put in ear buds (er6i). Let cord hang in half zipped jacket.

3. Put on helmet. And do chin strap

4. Plug in ear buds to scala.

5. Gather/wrap/loop extra cord around left hand. Tuck looped cord into jacket left breast area.

6. Zip up jacket

7. If cords to ears are to tight. Pull a little slack from jacket.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:48 AM   #59
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post

Thanks
Here is how I do mine. I copied the earplug mod that brings the wire out the back. The earbuds then never leave the helmet. I route the wires one time.

I then run the wires through the helmet lining, brining the earbud leads out of two vent holes in the top of the helmet.

I hold the helmet strap in one hand and insert the RH bud into my ear. Switch hands, do the left - put on the helmet. Tuck any free wires back beneath the lining and I'm good to go. I did 17 hours on my SaddleSore 1000 ride with these earbuds in.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:46 PM   #60
ADW
'tard bike restos

Oddometer: 505
Anyone heard from Eileen?

I sent her my Scala G4 for modification on 8/20/11 per an email from her with her address and etc. on 8/18/11. USPS shows delivery on 8/22/11. I've emailed her twice and PM'd her once with no returns. She says she does them in a day or two and returns them. This is going on my second week with no Scala and more importantly, no email or PM or other contact.

Anyone have additional contact info for Eileen they can PM me? Or does anyone know where she's at/why she wouldn't be responding? She gave me no indication she was going to be out of town or anything like that before I sent them away.