Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #121
Golevi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Glad you got it all working! Good job Ilener...

2008 BMW R 1200 GS Adventure
Golevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:01 PM   #122
Ilener
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Talking Update! Wiring change, now it's perfect, whew!

On my last post I said ...This is what worked:
1. I took the L-Antenna/Copper and attached it to the Copper on the new plug.
2. I left the R-Antenna/Green Stripe alone and did NOT connect it to anything. Leave it hanging.
3. I took the L+/Green and the R+/Red Striped and attached them to the Red on the new plug.
4. I took the L-/Red and the R-/Blue and attached them to the Blue in the new plug.

CORRECTION----------------------- it turns out that all the wires did NOT need to be paired up. I have no idea why.
(remember, I was listening to the iPod the entire time to assure my music worked)

When this morning, I bought a real electrical soldering iron and solder wire with flux core, I thought I was in heaven!
OMG, Things soldered perfectly, neatly, cleanly and it was so simple and fast Wow what a difference!
I resoldered everything so easily....and then unfortunately the music was hard to hear!!!
Damn! I was so fed up with this.

So, I stared at it all to try and locate the problem, but couldn't. Then I thought the connection to the blue wires looked kind of "iffy" and since I was now a great electrical wire solder person and soldering was now fun, I thought I'd clip off one blue wire and reattach it. What the heck, I had nothing to lose at this point.

Great decision, lucky choice of which wire to cut.

BAM!!! The moment the one blue wire was clipped off from the one speaker wire, the music was blasting loud and I quickly pulled out my earplugs!
Woohoo!

We tested the helmet intercoms and everything was perfect. Amazingly perfect and soldered! So I very neatly hot glued each wire connection to protect the ends and isolate them. That turned out nice, too. Then I used the shrink tubing to protect it and in the morning will use an electrical tie to fasten it to the headset clamp. I'll also take another picture to show you the finished piece.

What a struggle, but I'm glad I persevered.

I believe when the next one arrives I will just cut it off at the two speaker wires right next to the speakers and not worry about anything else. I ordered some Koss PortaPro headphones and will switch out the speakers to put in my 2nd helmet. Then I will have two setups, one in each helmet and can choose whether I want earplugs or helmet speakers.

Crazy stuff, Scala must do this to keep us on our toes, and make it near impossible to screw around with their headsets. (or so they hope, but we know better)

Here's a photo of the completed connections.

Ilener screwed with this post 04-30-2012 at 10:25 PM Reason: Photo insert
Ilener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #123
Maak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Eileen you still doing this?

I have the new Scala Rider G9. Have you done this mod on this unit yet? I'm assuming the base unit is pretty much the same?
Please PM me your contact info Eileen if you're still doing this mod.

--Mark
Maak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #124
Trickie Dick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maak View Post
I have the new Scala Rider G9. Have you done this mod on this unit yet? I'm assuming the base unit is pretty much the same?
Please PM me your contact info Eileen if you're still doing this mod.

--Mark
She had a thread in the Vendors section. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694473
BTW, she did a great job on my G4's. I highly recommend.
Trickie Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #125
Ilener
Adventurer

The only unit I've done this on is the Q2 Pro, it was hell and I'd not attempt it again only because it was so frustrating. If I had the photos that I eventually put up here, it would have saved me about 5 hours

If you can get someone to do it for you, I advise it.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #126
Golevi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Ear Buds...

Some has asked about ear buds... Here is what I do...

Something I discovered about using the ear buds in a helmet is that they would begin hurting my ears after a while in the saddle, mostly my lower ear lobe where the wires come out; it seemed that the padding would push it into my ear lobe... Some worse than others... Now, I put the ear buds in upside down with the wire pointing up and it stays within my ear instead of pressing against my ear lobe... There is a little sliding tie (I use the 20 dollar Sony ones from Wal-Mart) that takes up slack on the wires that I slide close to the top of my head, put my helmet on then plug it into the G-4 and it is COMPLETELY pain free! I have worn them this way for up to 8 hours, and I do not even know they are there...

Maybe someday I will take a few photos of that and post them...

Just my experience...

2008 BMW R 1200 GS Adventure
Golevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #127
Ilener
Adventurer

Im sorry but I have no idea how to make that crazy photo of the wires smaller, it's huge but at least you can clearly see the wire colors.

I wanted to say that I bought the two color epoxy mold stuff from Amazon.com and you mix the blue epoxy with the white epoxy for two minutes until its well blended, then push it into your ear, get it inside your ear canal, then gently push in the earbuds and work the soft epoxy a little bit around the ear bud, not completely over top of it, this way you can always buy another set if you need to replace them.

what you end up with is an INCREDIBLY comfortable custom made ear plugs that fit only your ears and once they're in, you don't even feel them.

Hint* I did find out that if you put an eraser in between your teeth when you do this, it opens the ear canal more by moving away the jaw bone, this way the plugs will fit even better. Mine are awesome, I got the purple color. That was before I tried to just change out my Scala Rider Q2 Pro lousy speakers for something better. I did that, easily made the change and the difference was incredible. I used the speakers from headphones called something like the Sony PortaPro... I think that was it. MUCH better, more bass, louder sound.

So now I can choose either the custom ear plugs or the better in helmet speakers, whatever I'm in the mood for!

I love this website, You guys are awesome, thanks!
Old 05-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #128
tooshaggy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Did the mod this morning. Pretty tight in there so make sure you get a small plug! We gave up on feeding the wires through the holes and just soldered them to the back. It works fine.
The FM does work still, same reception as before.
The sound quality is a million times better. I am listening to MP3's through my Zumo 660 and it almost sounds as good as an iPod. Very happy!!!
Old 05-14-2012, 03:09 AM   #129
jaTillApan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Volume to loud

Thanks for the great instructions! Gave me the courage to try it out myself yesterday.

But after putting it all together and trying it out, playing some music from my zumo 660, i found the volume to be far to loud. Even with the volume turned all the way down i was afraid I would damage my headphones, not to mention my hearing. So I found a resistor I had laying around and thought I should trow it in the mix. I cut the black wire going to R- and L- an soldered the resistor to the new ends. Works great!

I used a 56 Ohm resistor and I would say it reduced the volume to about 1/3.

Don't know if there are any downsides to this solution though, as I don't really know much about electronics...
jaTillApan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #130
ssmith39
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Has anyone tried to fit a 3.5mm jack with switches? This will allow the speakers to be connected and deactivate when the headset is plugged in.

A corollary question.... what size part can fit, or what is the internal clerance measurements?
ssmith39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #131
JetGrl
FJR Pilot

Oddometer: 54
G9 earbud mod

I have done a few mods on the G9 and it is quite different than the G4.

First here are some pics of the clamp. The first one is a picture of the open clamp, you can see there is much less room inside partly due to the smaller section along the bottom to accomodate the larger G9 unit and partly because Cardo went to a new method of mounting the microphone boom with a 3.5mm plug into the back of the unit. There are now 2 jacks inside from the factory, they are mounted on a small circuit board that stacks beneath the main board and has a very small connector between the boards.

Stacking boards

Small bottom board with connectors:

Finished unit with jack bonded to clamp bottom:

I will do the mod for the same $30 price as the G4 mod, $5 shipping, $5 plug for the speakers option. It takes a little longer to do however because of the glue.

Email me for my address and to make arrangements: eileen.kelleher at gmail.com
JetGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:10 AM   #132
Cloggy
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I've made a new thread regarding the G9 mod. I've found an interesting new way to mod it. Please give me some feedback in the thread there! Link.
Cloggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #133
JetGrl
FJR Pilot

G4 Clamp mod

I got a clamp today from Houston Tx and the return address is a mailboxes etc. I have no payment for it nor a return address I can send it to. If anyone knows who sent it they should contact me at eileen.kelleher AT gmail.com and make arrangements for it's return.

Please email me with the street address of the Mailboxes it was sent from.

Thanks,
Eileen
Old 07-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #134
QuasiMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
I started in on doing the mod today, but got stuck...er...on step 1. I'm using a T7 driver on the the two tiny bits on the back, but I'm getting zero purchase. From what I can barely make out (with the help of a magnifying glass and a headlamp), they almost look smaller than T7 (which is the smallest T driver I've got). I've been dorking around with it for 25 minutes...starting to get looks from the wife. "So if can't open it up, are you sure you're up to the task of soldering stuff...?" Did any of the G4 releases use other bits in the back?
Old 07-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #135
JetGrl
FJR Pilot

Its a T6, they all are. I think the original post was wrong.

Regards

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy II using Tapatalk