Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 07:24 AM   #31
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddgfarm View Post
I had the same experience when I added a KLX250 to the stable for offroad use. I have a KLR and found the KLX250 is a huge difference for offroad. I modded the KLX to be dirt biased (i.e. geared down and knobbies). I found it to be a great addition. Both bikes are fun for the right purpose.

Since adding to the KLX was such good move (for me), of course, I want more. Now I am wondering if I take it the next level by going to a KTM or Husky 250 will that be a similiar improvement. It will be more power with less weight. Has anybody that made the jump from the Japanese 250 dual sports to the dualsport race bikes? Can you comment on the how much easier/more fun offroad it is.

I don't really want to race or jump. I just want to be able to get through gnarly trails or hills with less of a struggle.
Ive taken it to the point where I ride a 09 KTM200,I would no more ride a 300lb bike on tight trails then wrestle a gorilla.
Way more fun,way easier and I think,safer,easier on my body.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:31 AM   #32
ohenry
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
A KLX would be smaller then a DR,and somewhat lighter,but dont they still weigh over 300lbs? You would have two heavy cheaply built dualsport bikes.
Both with wobbly cheap suspension.

Just for laughs,find a dirtbike,plated or not and ride a light bike just once,the lack of weight will be a revelation,excess weight is what turns a save into a crash.
You can't just plate a dirt bike in most states they are cracking down at the DMV. It took me three trips to the title office here in GA to get my 08 TE250 tagged in all 6 months. Do not mistake the KLR and the KLX they are apples and oranges. I see no build quality issues at all so you can keep your cheaply made comment. Also the DR650 will out last the 640 hands down. Again we are not talking about race bikes they are purpose made 50/50 dual sports. Mine has been on the scale at 275lbs which sounds heavy but it does not feel it at all.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #33
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Wow, this thread was almost two years old, them it was resurrected yesterday, I hope the original poster got his bike choices worked out by now.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #34
wblogg1
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Another KLX lover here . I had a my KLR for 4 years until buying the KLX. I thought the KLR was good/fine offroad and boy was I wrong. Actually bought the KLX for my wife and she wouldn't ride so I took it a few times and MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Yes the KLX is a little sluggish but I put a 12t sprocket on the front and that made a huge difference. KLX has 14,000 miles and is still very dependable, no issues, cranks everytime and I would buy it again in a heart beat.
wblogg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:54 PM   #35
00Buck
dirt rules

Oddometer: 197
I own both and prefer the DR650 for 90% of the riding I do.
Of course the KLX is better on single track for obvious reasons.