ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 05:19 AM   #1
RTinNC OP
RT to GS in NC
 
RTinNC's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Oddometer: 1,035
Diamond Gusset Defender Jean on Sale!

I have NO affiliation with Diamond Gusset other than a happy customer. But just wanted to pass along what is a real good deal on their Defender MC Jeans. $99 for most sizes!!

And the added benefit is these are Made in USA

http://www.americangusset.com/defender

__________________
Ed Apelian
All it takes is an open road and an open mind!


2006 R1200RT - Granite Gray
2012 R1200GSA - Magma Red!
RTinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:46 PM   #2
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos
 
ABHooligan's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Chattanooga
Oddometer: 1,169
Have some Diamond Gusset pants. It was worth the price to have an American-made garment....

Even Filson and Woolrich use the word 'imported' in their catalogs now.
__________________
"I tried to move my mind there and nowhere else and imagine a single detail that, if I didn't see it that weekend, I never would... The world is easily lost."
James Dickey
ABHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:53 PM   #3
ssevy
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Adirondacks
Oddometer: 924
I bought a pair of these used here on the forum. They are very well made jeans.
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:40 AM   #4
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Cambodia
Oddometer: 365
I note these are on sale again.

A few questions for those that have them

:Regarding the lower seam for the kevlar on the seat. Is it uncomfortable to sit on, or is it far enough down from the sit bones not to be a problem ?


:Is the cut of these jeans roomy enough to wear low profile knee armor underneath ?
I'm thinking something like the Oneal Sinner Combo Knee/shin guards

link
Those knee guards come off without having to remove shoes/boots.
Ideally, I'd want to be able to roll up the jean legs to take off the guards, if the legs are roomy enough to allow that ?

:I'm in the tropics so thinking of Exofficio Boxer underwear
I assume you'd need something between your skin and the kevlar in hot weather ?

:Hows the sizing accuracy of the Defender jeans?

:Is the black color a true black, or more a dark grey as it appears in some online pics ?
Attached Images
 
bill1960 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:26 PM   #5
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Western New York
Oddometer: 834
I wear mine with Bonn Armor under them. I don't feel the seam and there's plenty of room for the protection.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:58 PM   #6
RTinNC OP
RT to GS in NC
 
RTinNC's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Oddometer: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1960 View Post
I note these are on sale again.

A few questions for those that have them

:Regarding the lower seam for the kevlar on the seat. Is it uncomfortable to sit on, or is it far enough down from the sit bones not to be a problem ?


:Is the cut of these jeans roomy enough to wear low profile knee armor underneath ?
I'm thinking something like the Oneal Sinner Combo Knee/shin guards

link
Those knee guards come off without having to remove shoes/boots.
Ideally, I'd want to be able to roll up the jean legs to take off the guards, if the legs are roomy enough to allow that ?

:I'm in the tropics so thinking of Exofficio Boxer underwear
I assume you'd need something between your skin and the kevlar in hot weather ?

:Hows the sizing accuracy of the Defender jeans?

:Is the black color a true black, or more a dark grey as it appears in some online pics ?
Have no issues with the seam.

Pretty sure the Knee guards will fit under them with no issues. (if not they have a good return policy.

I wear LD comforts under mine and they are fine.

Hope this helps! Also, as an FYI .... they will make them ANY size if you shoot them a note.
__________________
Ed Apelian
All it takes is an open road and an open mind!


2006 R1200RT - Granite Gray
2012 R1200GSA - Magma Red!
RTinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:38 AM   #7
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Cambodia
Oddometer: 365
Is anyone using them in hot/humid conditions ?

Wondering if the kevlar lining, although minimal, makes them noticeably hotter to wear than regular jeans, on and off the bike ?
bill1960 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:35 AM   #8
RTinNC OP
RT to GS in NC
 
RTinNC's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Oddometer: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1960 View Post
Wondering if the kevlar lining, although minimal, makes them noticeably hotter to wear than regular jeans, on and off the bike ?
I am sure with the kevlar lining they are a bit hotter than regular jeans but I have never noticed an issue. But when compared to most riding pants they are better in hot weather. Of course they are not as protective as true riding pants but that is a trade off.
__________________
Ed Apelian
All it takes is an open road and an open mind!


2006 R1200RT - Granite Gray
2012 R1200GSA - Magma Red!
RTinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:40 PM   #9
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Cambodia
Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTinNC View Post
I am sure with the kevlar lining they are a bit hotter than regular jeans but I have never noticed an issue. But when compared to most riding pants they are better in hot weather. Of course they are not as protective as true riding pants but that is a trade off.
Thanks for the info.
To put your comments in context, how hot and humid does it get where you ride ? (I'm not from the USA)

Agree, most riding jeans are a compromise compared to dedicated riding pants.
If I buy the DG Defenders, I would add internal pockets for low profile hip armor.

Alternatively, I'm considering the Duluth Trading Firehose Jeans
Gusseted and triple stitched, but no kevlar lining. I would add hip armor pockets and wear stand alone knee/shin armor underneath.
bill1960 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:56 AM   #10
RTinNC OP
RT to GS in NC
 
RTinNC's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Oddometer: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1960 View Post
Thanks for the info.
To put your comments in context, how hot and humid does it get where you ride ? (I'm not from the USA)

Agree, most riding jeans are a compromise compared to dedicated riding pants.
If I buy the DG Defenders, I would add internal pockets for low profile hip armor.

Alternatively, I'm considering the Duluth Trading Firehose Jeans
Gusseted and triple stitched, but no kevlar lining. I would add hip armor pockets and wear stand alone knee/shin armor underneath.
I live in the Southeast (Charlotte, NC) and while not the hottest in the USA it gets pretty hot and humid here. I have never felt the DG jeans significantly added to my discomfort. As I noted my riding buddy who wears full technical riding pants 3 seasons wears Draggin Jeans (Similar to DG's) for relief to the heat of the technical riding pants. Heck ... if it is 90 degrees and humid it is just HOT and pretty much uncomfortable when you are not moving.

Personally I would think the DG's would provide better protection than the Duluth Trading Firehose jeans.
__________________
Ed Apelian
All it takes is an open road and an open mind!


2006 R1200RT - Granite Gray
2012 R1200GSA - Magma Red!
RTinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:52 PM   #11
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: SFO Bay Area
Oddometer: 998
Does this have hip and knee armor pockets? From their website, it looks like they cater more to the cruiser crowd, so I am assuming armor is completely optional.
sarathmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:31 PM   #12
ssevy
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Adirondacks
Oddometer: 924
I used Bohn armor tights under my diamond gusset jeans, and they were pretty warm. They were my entry level protection, and while I never crash tested them, they were a relatively inexpensive route to some level of protection. I eventually saved and moved up to my Motoport gear, which is something I would encourage anyone to consider. Yes, more expensive, but I consider it as good as it gets for protection, and my life and mobility are worth it.
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:48 AM   #13
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Cambodia
Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathmenon View Post
Does this have hip and knee armor pockets? From their website, it looks like they cater more to the cruiser crowd, so I am assuming armor is completely optional.
No hip or knee impact protection in the DG Defenders, nor pockets for it.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the jeans with knee armor pockets. I doubt it would stay in place very well in a crash, unless the cut of the jeans was skinny leg euro style.
I prefer relaxed fit for plenty of airflow and would wear standalone low profile knee/shin armor underneath the jeans.
bill1960 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015