Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #301
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWracing View Post
G'day Ian,

I have just read this entire thread and wondered if you would be able to give me a guesstimate of a Mirage 2 in the satin black finish and carbon look rear with a clear screen, shipped into NSW, Australia in $USD and do you take PAYPAL or Visa..? OR do you have an agent in Australia I can deal with directly on this. I have an 09' F800GS in Gunmetal Grey.

It looks like a great product with great back up support. Good on you for that.!

Thanks,

Regards,
John.

Thanks for the interest John.

The fairing in black ( with choice of tinted or clear screen) is $495 CAD, the Carbon dash $42 and the shipping down under $86. We do all the sales direct from here as it's so much easier with the spec options.

USD,CAD and AUD are all about the same currently and we normally use Paypal for transactions. You don't actually pay at the time of placing an order on our website, as we send a paypal invoice when the fairing is ready to ship.

As it happens, we have the satin black in stock at the moment and the shipping takes about 10 days to get to you.

Cheers

Ian
Old 08-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #302
JAWracing
n00bsticle

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B View Post
Thanks for the interest John.

The fairing in black ( with choice of tinted or clear screen) is $495 CAD, the Carbon dash $42 and the shipping down under $86. We do all the sales direct from here as it's so much easier with the spec options.

USD,CAD and AUD are all about the same currently and we normally use Paypal for transactions. You don't actually pay at the time of placing an order on our website, as we send a paypal invoice when the fairing is ready to ship.

As it happens, we have the satin black in stock at the moment and the shipping takes about 10 days to get to you.

Cheers

Ian
Thanks for the prompt response Ian,

Time to start plotting how I will convince the Minister of War and Finance to authorise my purchase.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #303
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWracing View Post
Thanks for the prompt response Ian,

Time to start plotting how I will convince the Minister of War and Finance to authorise my purchase.
Tell her the fairing will make the bike much safer ! It sometimes works
Old 08-20-2012, 09:32 AM   #304
Askemux
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Got my Mirage 2 last week. It took more time to come to me from Finland customs, than from Ian to Finland

I still haven't got time to install the fairing to my bike, but was thinking to install my zumo first to the dashboard. Can someone, who has also installed zumo 660 to mirage fairing, give me some recommendation, how to istall the electric cable? Did you drill through the dashboard or how? Zumos cable is quite big on the part where there leaves cables to mic and to others
So any advice?

Askemux screwed with this post 08-21-2012 at 04:10 AM
Askemux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #305
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askemux View Post
Got my Mirage 2 last week. It took more time to come to me from Finland customs, than from Ian to Finland

I still haven't got time to install the fairing to my bike, but was thinking to install my zumo first to the dashboard. Can someone, who has also installed zumo 660 to mirage fairing, give me some recommendation, how to istall the electric cable? Did you drill through the dashboard or how? Zumos cable is quite big on the part where there leaves cables to mic and to others
So any advice?
I ran mine down the front edge of the "dash", drilled two small holes (in several places) and ran a ziptie through them to secure the wire, then ran it under the front of the tank cover. It's not a "clean" install, but I don't need to take the fairing apart to remove the gps wiring either.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #306
RDT953
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Thumb Mirage 1

I ordered my Mirage 1 too late, I looked at it several months ago but was not convinced enough to pull the trigger and place an order until about ten days before starting my trip to the Tohoku region of Japan. I sent Ian an email asking for expedited shipping and I'm sure he tried his level best but customs seems to have held up it's arrival. My fault entirely for leaving it too late, it arrived three days after I started the tour.

So, first impressions:

Looks - I like, much better than the original screen.

Function - Only been for a short ride so far but have noticed a huge improvement in wind buffeting and that's with the screen only half way. Why didn't I order it sooner????

Ease of fitting - Pretty straight forward but fiddly. I guess there's a reason for using brass in the embedded nuts but they caused me some grief. Brass tends to bind on stainless and I had to remove the fairing 3 times so that I could turn the screws in from the opposite direction to straighten out the threads to avoid a cross threading. I think stainless inserts would have been better.

Quality - One of the bottom holes has been drilled very slightly off center and so far I can only get three of the fastening screws in. I'm not a newbie with tools BTW. I'm going to need to remove the fairing again and apply a file to the offending hole, it's not a big deal and I need to remove it when I start putting the electrics on anyway. I could get someone to apply pressure with some muscle to align the holes but then I'd have to do that every time I want to add or remove stuff from the dash.

Design - Following on from needing to remove the whole fairing to install electrics. If the dash face was removable it would make installing switches, indication lights etc a whole lot easier. I'm thinking of making a modification.

Service - Keeping me informed of the status of my order and trying to get the item shipped to me in time for a trip, brilliant, I felt that my order was being treated as a priority it's what customer service is all about.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth. overall I'm happy with my purchase.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:57 PM   #307
pswarren
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
2013 F800GS Install

Has anyone installed a Mirage 2 on their 2013 F800gs?
Old 08-31-2012, 04:30 PM   #308
Second chance
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Laugh Same?

I did three years ago. Seriously I'm not sure much has changed. Maybe Ian knows.
Second chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:44 PM   #309
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pswarren View Post
Has anyone installed a Mirage 2 on their 2013 F800gs?
It's not here yet in Canada, so I haven't been able to see what has changed. It looks like there may need to be some mods to the fairing, but nothing major, so I'll have the '13 version pretty soon.

Cheers

Ian
Old 09-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #310
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

2013 F800 and F700

I'm pleased to report that there are no fit issues on the Mirage 2 for the new models

The only item with the 700, is that the new black plastic sides at the bottom of the OEM screen are not re-used when fitting the fairing and ideally owners can buy the 650/800 model 'L' brackets to connect the fairing with the main bodywork. However, this does not form any part of the structure of the fairing and isn't really necessary on either bike. It just fills the holes up !

Cheers

Ian
Old 09-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #311
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,712
I just have to comment on Ian and his customer service. They are awesome! I had some issues with the setup on my 800GS and Ian went way out of his way to see that some things happened behind the scenes. The end result is an awesome fairing that works great.

Thanks again Ian for going well out of your way to make a customer very happy.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #312
Mavman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
On the verge of ordering a Mirage 2 for my 800GS. The Touratch touring windshield (not the Desierto) is about 3" too short for me. Can someone please give me a side-shot of the Mirage 2 fairing in the 90-100% UP position so I can judge the height?

It is between this and the Desierto, and I prefer to buy local, but I do need something that works for my 6.4" height.
Mavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #313
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavman View Post
On the verge of ordering a Mirage 2 for my 800GS. The Touratch touring windshield (not the Desierto) is about 3" too short for me. Can someone please give me a side-shot of the Mirage 2 fairing in the 90-100% UP position so I can judge the height?

It is between this and the Desierto, and I prefer to buy local, but I do need something that works for my 6.4" height.
The Mirage is taller at full height than both of the options you are considering. The length of the 'slope' with the screen at full height is 66cm from the top of the headlights and the top of the screen is vertically above the handlebar clamps.

However, you are tall so you're going to want all the height you can get and we are having the next batch of screens made a bit taller again, so if you can wait, it will be worthwhile for you.

Cheers Ian
Old 08-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #314
chris73
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavman View Post

I am 6'3" 34" inseam. I love this fairing. Almost all cases it keeps the wind to the top of my head. There is a bit of wind around the sides which hits the shoulders, but no chest pressure at all. I can hear the bike now, which is weird. Lol. Sometimes I do get a little buffet tap on the top of my helmet. I will be buying the taller screen when it becomes available.
chris73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:29 AM   #315
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B View Post
The Mirage is taller at full height than both of the options you are considering. The length of the 'slope' with the screen at full height is 66cm from the top of the headlights and the top of the screen is vertically above the handlebar clamps.

However, you are tall so you're going to want all the height you can get and we are having the next batch of screens made a bit taller again, so if you can wait, it will be worthwhile for you.

Cheers Ian
Ian:
I'm sure you will post when the taller screens are in stock yes?
About how much taller will they be?

A design question:
The windscreen is adjustable up and down, but the angle is fixed correct? How did you guys select/optimize the angle?
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote