Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2010, 08:06 AM   #61
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
I'm keen to see the Mirage 1 fairing, for my old 650GS single. I've grown very tired of the slap-dash assembly of the headlight pod on this bike.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:09 AM   #62
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,278
my interest is peaked...love the idea you can lower it for off road and raise for touring...all in one...would love to hear how it handles off road...rattling noise etc....
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:59 AM   #63
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLuke
I'm keen to see the Mirage 1 fairing, for my old 650GS single. I've grown very tired of the slap-dash assembly of the headlight pod on this bike.
Work on the Mirage 1 has slowed a bit because we have been spending so much time getting the 2 launched and so it may beDecember before it is available

Ian
Old 10-14-2010, 10:16 AM   #64
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B
Work on the Mirage 1 has slowed a bit because we have been spending so much time getting the 2 launched and so it may beDecember before it is available

Ian
Hey, I've only been waiting 9 and a half years, what's another month or two?
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:29 PM   #65
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Well, the fairing is up on the website now and we are taking orders, although it will still be a week or so before they start shipping.

One point that has come up from direct emails, is whether the GPS platform can be removed, if you don't like having it up there on the platform.

The answer is yes. If guys prefer to keep their GPS on the bars or where ever and do not require the platform, it is easy to remove altogether. In fact, when it was tested on really rough ground, there is no doubt that the GPS does shake around more up there than on a typical Ram mount and some people may prefer not to have the GPS up there. At least there is a choice !

Ian
Old 10-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #66
AmuleK
What bike wants, it gets

Oddometer: 699
Removing GPS platform

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B
Well, the fairing is up on the website now and we are taking orders, although it will still be a week or so before they start shipping.

One point that has come up from direct emails, is whether the GPS platform can be removed, if you don't like having it up there on the platform.

The answer is yes. If guys prefer to keep their GPS on the bars or where ever and do not require the platform, it is easy to remove altogether. In fact, when it was tested on really rough ground, there is no doubt that the GPS does shake around more up there than on a typical Ram mount and some people may prefer not to have the GPS up there. At least there is a choice !

Ian
From your website, it says that you can "cut off" the gps platform. But what will that look like? I worry about a rough edge and the aesthetics of it's appearance after that. Could you address that in more detail or even provide a photo or two? Could it be possible that in the future you could offer the fairings in two professionally finished versions?
(On a plaque given to me by friend, Jeff Walker - gunned down in the Trolley Square shooting spree Feb. 12, 2007)
AmuleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:59 PM   #67
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuleK
From your website, it says that you can "cut off" the gps platform. But what will that look like? I worry about a rough edge and the aesthetics of it's appearance after that. Could you address that in more detail or even provide a photo or two? Could it be possible that in the future you could offer the fairings in two professionally finished versions?
We will provide a photo of the top section removed shortly. The platform is removed at a point just above the main dash where it is bolted to the fairing, so it doesn't look like it was 'cut off'.

However, a picture is worth a thousand words, so we'll get a photo out soon.

Ian
Old 10-27-2010, 05:34 PM   #68
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,759
Out yet?

Have these started shipping yet? Waiting on some inmate reviews.
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:12 PM   #69
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog
Have these started shipping yet? Waiting on some inmate reviews.
Still awaiting delivery of some parts (dashboards in particular), so we won't be shipping for another week. We have a lot of pre-orders now, so you should see reviews starting to appear during November.

Ian
Old 11-01-2010, 08:30 AM   #70
Keithy
Chaotically Keith

Oddometer: 285
Very nice looking bit of kit!

Very tempted to buy one.....then an 800gs
Keithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:49 PM   #71
JavaJude
Adventure Awaits

Oddometer: 8
650GS New Fairing Report . . . It's Awesome!!

Mirage 2 Fairing from Britannia Composites

I think I must be one of the first ones out there to have one of these ( the benefit of being local to Britannia !), so here's my experience with it over the last couple of weeks.

I have to confess that I didn't actually fit it myself, but it only took my husband about 45mins and it was all pretty straight forward, with no permanent alteration to the bike, so fitment could easily be reversed (not that that is ever going to happen !!). The fairing is finished in satin black which really suits the bike and the inside has a really cool sort of material look, which is the composite bit. The really clever thing is how the dashboard is used to support the whole thing and it really does make the fairing very solid.

The bike looks really stunning with the fairing fitted and you quickly forget how unfinished it used to look. However, the real difference shows up as soon as you get on it. The cockpit looks totally different and the instrument (which is relocated onto the dash) seems to be at a better angle. You can see why they put the GPS platform where it is, because it's really right there, perfectly in your line of vision. Unfortunately, I have a 60csx GPS which won't fit on the platform, but I like the idea so much, I'm now saving my pennies for a Zumo so I can mount it up there (more money !). At least I won't have to fork out for a mount, because it looks like the stock Zumo mount will bolt straight on. It's certainly a sturdy enough platform for mounting.

Out on the road, there is a complete transformation in wind protection. I used to hate the fact that I couldn't ride with my visor cracked open, even at slow speeds. Not so now ! If you want, you can still have the visor cracked open at 120 kms ! The airflow is very smooth by comparison with other big screens I've used, but there is one BIG drawback - SPEED ! This thing takes so much of the buffeting away, that you find yourself riding much faster everywhere ! I played around with the screen height and found that it was best for me set about 2 1/2" down from full up, but I'm not that tall, so I would imagine 6' + guys will certainly have the screen all the way up. The screen uses a couple of thumbtwists and the system works well. It's a simple solution, if not a little 'industrial'.

I don't use this bike offroad much, but I did do a really rough section of gravel the other day to try it out. It's great being able to slide the screen right down when you're stood up and I think you're probably a lot less likely to smash your teeth out if you had an 'incident'. the fairing seems to stay pretty solid and I would imagine is easily strong enough for more adventurous riding than I do on this bike.

All in all, I think this thing is awesome. It's well made, really cleverly designed and just finishes the whole cockpit off the way it should be. I'm not sure how it compares with the TT because there is no way I would ever shell out that much money anyway, but it would need to be very special indeed to out-do this one !

Here is a shameless plug for Britannia Composites . . .please go and check out their website at www.britanniacomposites.com They make similar fairings for other bike models as well.

JavaJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:19 PM   #72
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,254
Mirage 2 fairing review

Awesome review JavaJude! Sounds like you're pretty happy, I hope to be calling Ian pretty soon myself. Now I wonder with all the positive reviews how long the rest of us will have to wait for one...
Old 11-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #73
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollygrubber
Awesome review JavaJude! Sounds like you're pretty happy, I hope to be calling Ian pretty soon myself. Now I wonder with all the positive reviews how long the rest of us will have to wait for one...
They start shipping next week (at last !)

Ian
Old 11-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #74
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,128
JavaDude:

How tall are you if you don't mind my asking?
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:17 PM   #75
JavaJude
Adventure Awaits

Oddometer: 8
JRW: I am 5'7"

If I were taller then I would have to adjust the windshield a bit higher. I still have some room to play with it I do not have it adjusted to it's full height
JavaJude is offline   Reply With Quote