Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2010, 06:01 PM   #106
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B View Post
Well, so far, the tallest guy to have riden with one (that I know of) is 6'2" and he choses the screen to be 1" lower than full up, so on that basis you should be fine. As you have probably read by now, the screen design has a 'scoop' at the bottom which collects more air and rams it up behind the screen. This increases the effective height of the screen by a further 3", in other words you have another 3" of 'invisible screen' above the top of the screen.

Having said all that, there is no doubt that different people 'feel' wind disturbance differently. We set out to produce the best Fairing/screen there is ( at any price) for all sized guys and I'm now confident that we achieved it.

What I can say, is that if you got one and were not really happy with it, then you can return it (undamaged) for a full refund. The only monetary risk you would be taking is the return shipping. How's that sound ?

Cheers Ian
Awesome Ian. Thank you for the info! I want this screen.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:04 PM   #107
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbOwl View Post
Thanks for those measurments Ian. I'm 5'7" and after playing with them it doesn't appear the height would be any isue for me either. I really want an adjustable windscreen, and I like the extra dash space, but was hoping to see more reports on the effectivness of the screen. Can you give us the measurments from the lights up to the top of the screen at its lowest setting and its highest setting.
In it's lowest setting the screen still sticks up about 2" above the fairing and then extends to 9" above the fairing. It's unlikely that anyone (of any size) would want the screen right down on the road. It would be likely to blow the wind straight into your face like the OEM one does ! We only design the screens on our fairings to slide that far down to keep them out of the way when riding off road and being stood up. ( to avoid smashing your teeth out, when you hit a bump !).

The reason you have so few rider reports is mainly weather ! There are now nearly 30 out there and 8 of those are still 'en route'. There are 5 in the UK now, but they are frustratingly stuck in their garages waiting for the snow to clear. Should be more feedback in a few weeks. I'm pleased that those that are able to ride at the moment, seem to love them and all have reported that they were a 'breeze' to fit.

Ian
Old 12-04-2010, 07:11 AM   #108
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 523
+2 on the Aeroflow for weather protection, turbulance and construction quality.

One of the things that made me choose Aeroflow was their efforts to address air flow with some sophistication. Not just putting up a piece of plastic in front of the rider. Their design works to deflect or capture the air moving around the side of the windscreen and deflect either outward or over the rider. They have done this with a wide screen that still allows hand gards to go to full stearing lock. I believe they are unique in doing this.

Aeroflow also addresses the problem of the vacumn that forms behind the screen ( pushes on the riders back, push helmet forward and down) by ducting the windscreen and moving that air with laminar flow upward. This is more expensive but really works.

They've been in the business a long time and this shows in detail design and the quality of their screen and mounting hardware.
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:26 PM   #109
larlec
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Oh well, I couldn't wait for any more reports or reviews so I pulled the trigger on one today - I'll do a review once I get it on and some clear roads.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:00 PM   #110
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario33 View Post
i was wondering whether after removal of that 'GPS perch' (which I dont personally like), it would still be possible to mount GPS over the instruments cluster ? Is there any stable structure up there to stick a (special) mount ? what material is the frame based on ? (abs ?)

I do like the looks but I need something really sturdy... alu or even steel frame would be perfect...
Here's a pic below:

I think you could mount something through there. With the ABS dash, supported by "C" section ABS coming up from the headstock mounting and then attached to the fairing it makes a solid structure. I would work off the two middle fairing dash mount holes and/or the ABS dash itself.

Dave
Old 12-04-2010, 06:39 PM   #111
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 952
Hey larlec.

I'm sure you'll be happy!

I did a few more hours of riding yesterday (with about 2 highway) and all'round I was very happy!

Yes it's very important to have the Laminar flow working for you. That's why the Mirage is using the double screen. That with the height adjustment works very well to equalize the air pressure. Ian also is running a newer screen with this faring that has a scoop (mentioned above) on the bottom to force more air in. It really works...I have ridden both versions.

Screen lowered to about 2" up for off-road

Griz the only reason I gave inseam is yes I don't know my torso measurement (or how to measure it properly) I realize it would be more use full but someone on another windscreen thread suggested giving inseam too as a guideline...so there it is. Your welcome.

Ian as you can tell is on the ground floor too, and stands by his products as you can tell by his replies!

It looks really good in real life. Everyone who has seen it has complimented it...and it looks complete.

Dave
Old 12-04-2010, 06:44 PM   #112
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
mine comes in monday!
Old 12-06-2010, 09:58 AM   #113
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

ups man delivered! install tonight!
Old 12-06-2010, 10:12 AM   #114
larlec
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
ups man delivered! install tonight!
I'll be looking for a review tomorrow night. Where in the Rockies are you?
Old 12-06-2010, 05:37 PM   #115
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

just did the install!! love it! works great in the scorching 22 degree weather we are having now! anybody want pics?

in middle tn actually....
Old 12-06-2010, 06:17 PM   #116
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,285
post the pics
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:27 PM   #117
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
just did the install!! love it! works great in the scorching 22 degree weather we are having now! anybody want pics?

in middle tn actually....
Is that degrees C, or degrees F !! There's lots of pics flying around of ' garage' shots as guys are deciding whether to try the fairings in very dubious weather. The best cold weather test is to go out and ride before fitting the fairing and then go and do it again with it. Feels about 20 degrees warmer !

Ian
Old 12-06-2010, 07:09 PM   #118
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Gonna brave the cold and ride to work with it... with a detour down the interstate for some high speed stuff... will have full report and pictures posted tmrw... so far I love the looks and functionality! saved quite a few pennies over the outrageous touratech screen!
Old 12-07-2010, 10:04 AM   #119
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Opened up the box of goodies last night... looks pretty simple... install was basic and very straight forward. Detail enough instructions

it was about 10 pm and COLD!!! last night so first test was to work this morning!

12/07/2010

COLD!!!

geared up!

she's ready to go!!

screen is all the way up...

don't she look purty?

rider view

scotts

damn winter!

took it up to 100mph no problems. The gauge cluster could be tighter. Gonna put an extra rubber washer underneath and try. Zumo 550 will be mounted up top soon.

I am 175 6'2" 34" inseam. Shoei Hornet DS helmet.

Took a detour thru the twisties on the way to work was colder up there! 20 something degrees, but could ride more than comfortable with the shield all the way up and my helmet visor open. could see my breath while breathing and didnt blow away. No buffeting. Gonna ride some dirt and gravel back roads on the way home will advise. The construction is quite good really doesnt rattle and shake. Good mounting points and all.

Only concern is that when I get my higher seat I am worried if I will fit behind it. Kinda wish the movable lip and a old dakar F650GS lip at the top to throw the air up. possible a Home Depot project for later!

Cheers!
Any questions?
Old 12-07-2010, 11:59 AM   #120
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Opened up the box of goodies last night... looks pretty simple... install was basic and very straight forward. Detail enough instructions

it was about 10 pm and COLD!!! last night so first test was to work this morning!

12/07/2010

COLD!!!

geared up!

she's ready to go!!

screen is all the way up...

don't she look purty?

rider view

scotts

damn winter!

took it up to 100mph no problems. The gauge cluster could be tighter. Gonna put an extra rubber washer underneath and try. Zumo 550 will be mounted up top soon.

I am 175 6'2" 34" inseam. Shoei Hornet DS helmet.

Took a detour thru the twisties on the way to work was colder up there! 20 something degrees, but could ride more than comfortable with the shield all the way up and my helmet visor open. could see my breath while breathing and didnt blow away. No buffeting. Gonna ride some dirt and gravel back roads on the way home will advise. The construction is quite good really doesnt rattle and shake. Good mounting points and all.

Only concern is that when I get my higher seat I am worried if I will fit behind it. Kinda wish the movable lip and a old dakar F650GS lip at the top to throw the air up. possible a Home Depot project for later!

Cheers!
Any questions?
Well done Ben !! You're a brave man and thanks for the feedback. A couple of points you bring up. First of all, try and think to lower the screen down if you are going over the rough stuff. It will reduce any shaking and also make the screen less vulnerable, should a 'mishap' occur.

You mention a lip at the top of the screen. I can tell you from hours and hours of testing screens on all our fairings over the years, that a 'reverse flip' at the top does nothing except increase turbulance ! All it does is stall the air even more at the top of the lip. On our other fairings, some guys have fitted a laminar lip (I know this has a reverse lip, but there is a slot behind it to release the pressure), with some success, but be carefull not to overstrain the screen. Perhaps wait for your new seat and see how it works out as is.

Cheers Ian