Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 06:49 AM   #1
firebrick OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Quality day to day items wanted

Having bought cheap crap most of my life I would actually like to buy some stuff that will last for a lifetime. Im looking at American made clothing, boots,and bags to carry my crap. Ive heard filson a lot on this website and their shit sure is expensive but I want Quality so I don't have to keep replacing junk that wears out in a year. I have old carhartt items that will last as long as me but the new stuff doesn't seem as good. I wear fox creek socks because they are made here in Iowa Should I be looking elsewhere besides made in the USA items for quality? What other companies should I be looking at to make my life more "quality" and less junk. This is for normal day to day items, not cars and motorcycles. Thanks!
Old 12-04-2013, 06:53 AM   #2
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,209
Love Filson, can't tell you about value as I've never worn anything out yet.

If you like their fabrics and styles and finishes, I say go for it. It will last a long time, and they are a good company.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
nskitts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,969
Wesco boots

nskitts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
firebrick OP
Studly Adventurer

I still have my danner winter and summer boots I bought while in the Marines! So I can check that one off. Looks pretty moto when I wear them though.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
withoutaride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrifter View Post
Danner should be high on your go-to list for boots.

Carhartt - not sure who is saying it isn't good. The double-front pants last, and last.
+1 for Carhartt. My number one choice for rubber boots used to be LaCrosse....until they went un-American and decided to manufacture "offshore".
withoutaride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #6
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,955
I dunno- I've been wearing out Carhartt stuff way too fast lately. Seems like their quality isn't what it used to be. I recently found a few pairs that I had from college (10+ years ago) and they seemed nicer than the ones I'm working out of now. I recently tried Duluth trading's firehose pants and they seem to be more durable than Carhartt.
adam_c_eckhardt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,387
Filson double bridle leather belts are fantastic. I've also taken a liking to Redwing boots.

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,027
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OttqMTDIUFw

And

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCIMT-c0FHI

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,263
I have some Filson stuff and there is no way in the world I want to find to a profession where I can wear this stuff out

I have the double layer tin/(and lighter fabric forget what its called) upland pants and in the worst, nastiest bramble thickets upland hunting you can imagine those pants just soldier on. They are almost to much for daily wear though.

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #10
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,036
Klim. The best (Chinese) jackets out there
Old 12-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #11
jeep44
junk collector

Oddometer: 1,958
Pendleton wool shirts-all are made of US woven fabric, some of them are sewn here,too. Nothing matches the richness, feel, and looks of wool. They aren't cheap, but they are worth it, of course. I probably have at least 30 of them, made from the '40s to the '80s-some I bought new, others from ebay, or thrift shops. I favor the ones that are authentic Scottish Tartan patterns.
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #12
nephron
countercurrent exchanger

Oddometer: 227
strange to say, I have gotten great durability from doc marten shoes- and some of them come with lifetime resole/refurbish, though I've not needed it after several years of wear. not US made though- england or china.
nephron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #13
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Buy Kirby
The god of cleaning.
Cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #14
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
I have some Filson stuff and there is no way in the world I want to find to a profession where I can wear this stuff out

I have the double layer tin/(and lighter fabric forget what its called) upland pants and in the worst, nastiest bramble thickets upland hunting you can imagine those pants just soldier on. They are almost to much for daily wear though.
Shelter cloth, I think.

I just threw out a pair of filson pants, double tin dry finish, that were worn out- holes in the knees, lots of stitching worn out and letting go, cuffs in tatters, and almost black from oil and grease stains. They were the most durable pair of pants I've had, aside from the double knee waxed canvas pants I made for myself out of the heaviest canvas I could locally find- those ones are still about as unwearable as ever, but they look new

Carhartts are pretty good, but I agree with Adam, they don't seem to last quite as long- the most recent pair I got was about 8 months ago, the new moss color, and I've already got a pretty good size hole in one knee.

Now I'm trying out Key logger jeans, I used to wear them quite a bit, but I haven't liked the look of jeans for the last few years. But they're heavy fabric, and made in USA, and cheaper than carhartts.

I do like filson stuff, but it's tough to spend that much money for work pants. I think I'll always have a waxed canvas jacket though. They don't tend to wear out as much as they tend to shrivel- over the years they get more wrinkled and smaller and smaller until they only reach half way down your forearm, and then I start searching ebay for another "hardly used" one.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:42 AM   #15
firebrick OP
Studly Adventurer

I have a couple suggestions here for boots that Im looking at. Thanks. What I need for work at the fire dept is something with a zipper so I can get in and out of them pretty quick. Some decent traction would be nice for when Im carrying people around on the ice. Ive been wearing hi techs cause they are so dang comfortable but go through them about every 2 years. Would like to find a nice comfortable, leather, american made boot that either has a zipper or something I can add a zipper too. Has to be ALL black per dept regs, no color.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: