User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-23-2015, 09:42 AM   #1
Hannda OP
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 28,281
Someone at GM must read this forum . . .

Someone at GM must read this "Shiny Things" sub-forum and has been listening to those of you who want SIMPLE in your trucks.

Every Friday our local paper (www.Gazette.com) highlights a different auto. Today they did the new Chevy Colorado. One of the options they mention is a "base model" with what you've all been demanding - small motor and a manual tranny. From the article:
"Starting manufacturer's suggested retail price, including destination charge, is $20,995 for the base, 2015 Colorado with extended cab, rear-wheel drive, 200-horsepower, four-cylinder engine and six-speed manual transmission." I'd assume that the GM Canyon has a similar offering. They compare this to the entry level 2015 Nissan Frontier with rear wheel drive, 152 hp 4-cylinder, 5 speed manual starting at $18,875.

Now you know everything I do.

This truck with full time 4wd, with 4-HI and 4-LOW, six speed auto, crew cab and long bed is my dream truck. I just don't have nearly $40,000. Hell, I don't have nearly $4,000 laying around. Claimed 305 hp and a 7,000 lb towing capacity sound nice in a truck getting in the low 20s for mpg.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:03 PM   #2
Hannda OP
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 28,281
This one went over well.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:22 PM   #3
TooFast
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda View Post
This one went over well.
Maybe everyone at GM is working on recalls they ignored over the years and are now being held accountable for.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:10 PM   #4
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,530
Quote:
Someone at GM must read this "Shiny Things" sub-forum and has been listening to those of you who want SIMPLE in your trucks.

Every Friday our local paper (www.Gazette.com) highlights a different auto. Today they did the new Chevy Colorado. One of the options they mention is a "base model" with what you've all been demanding - small motor and a manual tranny. From the article:
"Starting manufacturer's suggested retail price, including destination charge, is $20,995 for the base, 2015 Colorado with extended cab, rear-wheel drive, 200-horsepower, four-cylinder engine and six-speed manual transmission." I'd assume that the GM Canyon has a similar offering. They compare this to the entry level 2015 Nissan Frontier with rear wheel drive, 152 hp 4-cylinder, 5 speed manual starting at $18,875.

Now you know everything I do.

This truck with full time 4wd, with 4-HI and 4-LOW, six speed auto, crew cab and long bed is my dream truck. I just don't have nearly $40,000. Hell, I don't have nearly $4,000 laying around. Claimed 305 hp and a 7,000 lb towing capacity sound nice in a truck getting in the low 20s for mpg.
A simple truck does not have a fucking touch screen in the dash hooked to a rear view camera. Or power seats and windows. Even worse, no limited slip with the manual. Who was the styling idiot in 73 that decided round wheels need square wheel openings, stupid then, stupid now,

Rod
ragtoplvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:23 PM   #5
-Meanderthal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
The last time I bought a new pickup I was trying to find one with rubber floors and some sort of durable plastic seats like the base models used to have.
The sales people treated me like I was from another planet.
-Meanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:29 PM   #6
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 42,904
Quote:
This one went over well.
Maybe as there is about a few threads already between small 4x4 truck, 2015/16 Colorado, even Dranrab's Frontier thread in a medium traffic sub forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nskitts View Post
I'm sorry your dog died before you got to beat it with a dead chicken.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports

Jurgen screwed with this post 01-23-2015 at 09:02 PM
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:51 PM   #7
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,727
Never mind that there used to be an S-10 EL for $5999. That was as basic as you could get. It had a heater, but only because of federal mandate. No power anything, and it even had a smaller fuel tank, but if you wanted a true stripper, that was your ride. No twenty grand luxo-barge is ever going to qualify as a "base" truck. And they're gigantic.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:36 AM   #8
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
Who was the styling idiot in 73 that decided round wheels need square wheel openings, stupid then, stupid now,
I've said the same thing for 40+ years. Looks like they are made out of Legos.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:50 AM   #9
Yukon65006

Oddometer: 536
When I think basic I think of the Ranger "S" where the S stood for stripped. No radio, plug in the fender for the antenna, ashtray but no cig lighter, 2l 5speed, vinyl bench, rear bumper was extra. Still regret selling it, no money was put down and my Insurance payment was more the than the note payment. My dad bought one at the same time in 87 and he still has it. After 28 years it still does the job of hauling sheet goods and stuff when needed.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:04 AM   #10
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,981
A hard ass I used to work for insisted that it was inherently wrong for our commercial lot white trucks to come with power everything and A/C. So he hit the delete button to order a true manual everything no A/C truck. It was several thousand more than the base truck.

And what we got was a no A/C truck for more money that still had power everything. Which was stupid of that owner but OK with me because my field crews find power door locks and windows useful. Plus we are now retrofitting backup cameras. So I am also cool with a glass dash.

Brave new world out there. You can't buy anything for the kind of money some people think these should cost much less a truck. To me, the $20k "stripper" looks about right for price and equipment on the fleet website. My configuration is more like $26k. Which is still way less than a fleet half ton.

I am still rocking an 03 Ranger and 99 4Runner personally. But these are on my radar for the next company fleet buy.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 01-24-2015 at 05:11 AM
Grreatdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:11 AM   #11
plumber mike
Highdive Deepened

Oddometer: 4,186
I hope GM does read this.

Stabilitrak is not an option.

I'll never buy another.

Free bumper or not.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:20 AM   #12
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

AFAIK all trucks and vans come with some form of stability control. I have been shopping fleet trucks and vans since I saw my 2015 budget and don't see such an animal. But then I am OK with that since it helps a 2wd in snow and mud.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:48 AM   #13
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,530
You can get a rubber mat in the Colorado. You have to get power windows and seats touchscreen, stability and ABS. You can not get a posi with a manual.

Rod
ragtoplvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:09 AM   #14
plumber mike
Highdive Deepened

Oddometer: 4,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
AFAIK all trucks and vans come with some form of stability control. I have been shopping fleet trucks and vans since I saw my 2015 budget and don't see such an animal. But then I am OK with that since it helps a 2wd in snow and mud.
Actually it's crippling in snow and mud. Any sensing of slip by acceleration or slide applies the brakes making any momentum impossible.

But yes. It's a CSM issue that ruined a lot of shiny things
Old 01-24-2015, 06:20 AM   #15
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

That hasn't been my experience with modern traction control. It used to be awful when no tire would move in mud and snow. So ten years ago I was in your camp. But our current trucks and vans aren't like that anymore. Right now I have six 2wd Ford trucks and vans with it that get around fine in snow and mud.

To be honest, I would rather have the traction/stability control in Grreatwife's current 4Runner than the electric locking diff we had before. The locking diff was cool. But traction control just works better since we aren't exactly hard core offroaders. It takes a lot to stop that thing even with horrible Michelin LTX tires.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 01-24-2015 at 06:25 AM
Grreatdog is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: