User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 07:31 AM   #181
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,403
Dammit Bone, now I might have to spend a bunch of money I don't have to save some money I might get in the distant future...or something.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:09 AM   #182
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
Dammit Bone, now I might have to spend a bunch of money I don't have to save some money I might get in the distant future...or something.
Um... yeah... sorry about that riddle-wrapped-in-a-connundrum-wrapped-in-bacon...

If you burn wood they are pretty sweet... If you are on a tight budget though... I'm sure you can spend less and get good utility out of another stove... There are plenty of options out there that are good quality and cost less... I'm partial because we've had Vermont Casting's and Jotul's before.. This one just blows them out of the water....
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:19 AM   #183
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,072
Considered a soapstone stove, but I couldn't find one small enough, if that makes any sense. I have a tiny living room.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:38 AM   #184
RedRocker
Native Texican

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone View Post
Um... yeah... sorry about that riddle-wrapped-in-a-connundrum-wrapped-in-bacon...

If you burn wood they are pretty sweet... If you are on a tight budget though... I'm sure you can spend less and get good utility out of another stove... There are plenty of options out there that are good quality and cost less... I'm partial because we've had Vermont Casting's and Jotul's before.. This one just blows them out of the water....
Nope, I want one like yours dammit! I'll be putting one in my shop for now, was going to use the one I just rebuilt, but it's pretty small for 2000 sq feet.
Shop is insulated, but think the Fireview would do the job till we build a house, then move it in there. I'll see if I can get the other half on board while the deal is on, I'm eligible for the 10% too, that's 1700 bucks plus about $230 shipping, never be any cheaper than that.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
Old 10-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #185
oj may
Have bike, will travel.

Oddometer: 2,505
Quote:
Nope, I want one like yours dammit! I'll be putting one in my shop for now, was going to use the one I just rebuilt, but it's pretty small for 2000 sq feet.
Shop is insulated, but think the Fireview would do the job till we build a house, then move it in there. I'll see if I can get the other half on board while the deal is on, I'm eligible for the 10% too, that's 1700 bucks plus about $230 shipping, never be any cheaper than that.
You should have saved some of the heat you had this summer!
Old 10-04-2011, 11:03 AM   #186
RedRocker
Native Texican

Quote:
Originally Posted by oj may View Post
You should have saved some of the heat you had this summer!
No shit, it's hard to think about heating after the summer we had here.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:12 AM   #187
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Quote:
Another thing to consider is using the one you have or getting an inexpensive used stove for now and getting a new one when the house is ready... Shoot... even a new plate steel stove can be had pretty inexpensively.. then just keep that in the shop when you move into the house with your sweet new stove...

But yeah.. that pricing is pretty damn good...

How's that new property treating you??? Get any friggin rain yet???
Old 10-04-2011, 11:54 AM   #188
RedRocker
Native Texican

I've got the shop in, not much rain though.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:18 PM   #189
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,274
I had the sweeps out this spring to clean out the Defiant, and so about a week ago I needed to lay down a bed of sand in the stove and fire it dry - got a good fire going and it's ready for a hard winter's work.

I don't have a good pic but I laid in about 3 cords of Lodgepole Pine and about 3/4 cord of oak. I think I have maybe 4 cords of pine total, it's in 5 huge racks - about 15' long x 6' high each. I'm too lazy to go cut and split my own wood, but I did haul all of it to the house and stack it - we cut the Oak ourselves but can't get that much of it off the property. Pine is fine for heating, the Oak is great when we know it's going to be a very cold day and we will want the fire to last past noon.

There's a winter storm warning out for the mountains tomorrow night - that would be nice. I blew out the sprinkler lines this morning just in case.

Think maybe I will lay a fire in the stove tonight, just in case. Maybe grab a bag of pellets [got 2,400 lbs of them too] for the pellet stove as well.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #190
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Quote:
I've got the shop in, not much rain though.
Sweeeeeet gay-rahge...

Hope you guys get some rain...
Old 10-05-2011, 06:13 PM   #191
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,964
Quote:
Great sale going on at Woodstock Soapstone... The stove I have, pictured above is nearly $1,000 of what I paid...

http://www.woodstove.com/home

Open house this weekend at their factory & showroom too if you are up in the Dartmouth, Lake Sunapee Region... Door prizes

Did I mention no sales tax in NH...

They are located at:
Hmmm.... My connection at Woodstock Soapstone left- so I might have to jump on this sale this weekend. Wanna keep it in your barn till my house is done?
adam_c_eckhardt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:03 PM   #192
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
Hmmm.... My connection at Woodstock Soapstone left- so I might have to jump on this sale this weekend. Wanna keep it in your barn till my house is done?
You can... but I think you want something a little more climate controlled than my barn... If someone you know has a walk-in basement that is heated, that would be perfect to store it...

You could even ask if they would hold it in Woodstock Soapstone's warehouse... explain your story...they're a small-ish family run outfit...so I wouldn't be too surprised if they let you...
Old 10-06-2011, 03:29 AM   #193
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,964
Quote:
You can... but I think you want something a little more climate controlled than my barn... If someone you know has a walk-in basement that is heated, that would be perfect to store it...

You could even ask if they would hold it in Woodstock Soapstone's warehouse... explain your story...they're a small-ish family run outfit...so I wouldn't be too surprised if they let you...
Thanks! I've got an excellent place to store it for winter, but it's a pain in the ass. I never thought to ask them to store it for me. They were extremely friendly when we went to look last time so it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Gonna try to squeeze in a ride on Saturday, and going to Harpoon's Octoberfest on Sunday if you're interested...
adam_c_eckhardt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:17 AM   #194
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
Thanks! I've got an excellent place to store it for winter, but it's a pain in the ass. I never thought to ask them to store it for me. They were extremely friendly when we went to look last time so it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Gonna try to squeeze in a ride on Saturday, and going to Harpoon's Octoberfest on Sunday if you're interested...
We'll be in Warner at the Fall Folliage Festival Saturday... Stop by and say hi...

Sunday sounds good.. I'll run it by Cindy...
Old 10-06-2011, 05:45 AM   #195
MudWalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,259
Our first frost last night.......our Hearthstone Equinox was given a light diet of dry hemlock and oak that I cut this spring to help clear some space.

For a stove with a really big firebox, this thing is amazing! the floor of the stove is wide and deep, I can lay in a few splits in the middle running side to side and still have room to lay in round scraps (short chunks) front to back on each side. Overnight the middle burns up and then the two sides catch and burn low and slow. Come morning the big old rock is hot and there are red hot half burnt chunks ready to move in and get things going again. I really like this stove!
MudWalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: