Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 37 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 07:30 AM   #226
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Natural View Post

Been looking at the concept of rocket mass stoves, focusing on hot, clean burns, and suckin as much heat as possible from the burn.
reminds me on the European Kachelofen concept. The tiles hold the heat for a long time, and ideally it's fed from the hallway.

just don't put your cheek against the burner insert door while you put in wood... trust me
Old 12-01-2011, 08:08 AM   #227
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,399
Quote:

Been looking at the concept of rocket mass stoves, focusing on hot, clean burns, and suckin as much heat as possible from the burn.
The only suck part is that you have to make a new fire each time... I can't imagine making a fire twice a day... right now it is one fire for 7 months....

Anyone have one??? I thought someone here did... but I think that was a brick one...

It is a great way to use the heat... or at least to distribute the heat... in principal...

And they can be great looking...

A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:45 AM   #228
IDScarecrow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone View Post
The only suck part is that you have to make a new fire each time... I can't imagine making a fire twice a day... right now it is one fire for 7 months....

Anyone have one??? I thought someone here did... but I think that was a brick one...
Yep. Me.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=142

and

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=143

IDScarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:12 AM   #229
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,399

Man those Tulikivi's are great looking...

Is the house 2X10 constuction?? Looks like some thick walls...that I assume are very well insulated... which really helps with this type of heat I imagine...
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:35 PM   #230
IDScarecrow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone View Post

Man those Tulikivi's are great looking...

Is the house 2X10 constuction?? Looks like some thick walls...that I assume are very well insulated... which really helps with this type of heat I imagine...
Thanks.

Walls are ICF - 8 inches of concrete 2.5 inches of foam insulation on either side. Insulation is very good, BUT the design has a lot of south-facing glass. Great when the sun shines, but I really need to get some window coverings to keep the heat in better at night. Not that it gets cold, but you can feel it when you stand or sit next to a window.

IDScarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:52 PM   #231
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDScarecrow View Post
Thanks.

Walls are ICF - 8 inches of concrete 2.5 inches of foam insulation on either side. Insulation is very good, BUT the design has a lot of south-facing glass. Great when the sun shines, but I really need to get some window coverings to keep the heat in better at night. Not that it gets cold, but you can feel it when you stand or sit next to a window.
Can you get some low e stick on sheeting? That could help. Thick curtains would be best.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:14 PM   #232
Srbenda
Embassy of South Carolina

Oddometer: 11,974
Ready.

(Locust and Black Walnut)

It seemed to me that the earth may he borrowed but not bought. It may be used but not owned. It gives itself in response to love and tending.... But we are tenants and not possessors, lovers and not masters.
Srbenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:11 AM   #233
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srbenda View Post
Ready.

I hope that black walnut was not cut from sawlog grade material. The price you could get for black walnut sawlogs would heat your house for a good while. How are you going to split that wood?

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:29 AM   #234
Srbenda
Embassy of South Carolina

Oddometer: 11,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofate View Post
I hope that black walnut was not cut from sawlog grade material. The price you could get for black walnut sawlogs would heat your house for a good while. How are you going to split that wood?
Quite honestly, some of it would have been, but part of the tree was dead. I did just have a sawmill come out, and transform quite a bit of locust into board for me. We have lots of walnut trees around here as well, and the board value of it is probably less than you might think.

I have a few more trees coming down later this month, one of which is a large diameter locust which should produce from very nice boards.

I'll split those rounds in half with my trusty wedge and maul, and then move onto to my small 5 ton electric splitter to get them down to split size. I have a small Vermont Castings Intrepid II that really prefers small splits, so I make 'em pretty tiny.
It seemed to me that the earth may he borrowed but not bought. It may be used but not owned. It gives itself in response to love and tending.... But we are tenants and not possessors, lovers and not masters.
Srbenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:42 AM   #235
Mr Natural
Really tired

Oddometer: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srbenda View Post
Ready.

Got a sad feeling from that
Basic crazy life stuff, Clearanced Navy VN Vet, Army Vet, Walking by credit of VA, Met John Walker, Jerry Whitworth, Chilean riots, Pinochet troops, Cults/MK Deprogramming, Never seen a UFO so nothing I can blame drinking on, but enough about you, what about me?
Mr Natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:44 AM   #236
gremor
RS'er

Oddometer: 906
"The only suck part is that you have to make a new fire each time... I can't imagine making a fire twice a day... right now it is one fire for 7 months.... "[QUOTE=A-Bone;17419876]

That's what i was thinking, I start a fire in Oct / Nov and it burns for months before I let it go out.

It is way easier to keep a fire going than it is to start a fire.

At least in a free standing wood stove.

But I've matured. Now I'd make sure I was drunk before I tried to fuck a snake"..........Bueller
gremor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:48 AM   #237
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Quote:
Got a sad feeling from that
I certainly don't. Having the winter's supply of fire wood is a great feeling in November. Trees are a crop, just like corn and beans.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:59 AM   #238
Mr Natural
Really tired

Oddometer: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
I certainly don't. Having the winter's supply of fire wood is a great feeling in November. Trees are a crop, just like corn and beans.
I fully understand, I operated a bandsaw mill and sharpened my own blades at one time. I was thinking of the board ft which was addressed in another post.
Basic crazy life stuff, Clearanced Navy VN Vet, Army Vet, Walking by credit of VA, Met John Walker, Jerry Whitworth, Chilean riots, Pinochet troops, Cults/MK Deprogramming, Never seen a UFO so nothing I can blame drinking on, but enough about you, what about me?
Mr Natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #239
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Quote:
I fully understand, I operated a bandsaw mill and sharpened my own blades at one time. I was thinking of the board ft which was addressed in another post.
That's not where I thought you were going.

BTW, I love burning Walnut. Very easy to split and a nice medium heat.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:55 AM   #240
WaterWheel
Multi Talentless

Oddometer: 18,092
Last night I installed a Magic Heat reclaimer on the woodstove in my bar/pool table room.

I'm thinking I should've done that years ago.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: