Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 42 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #256
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobudo28 View Post
I've heard of bio-bricks before but I have not seen them around here. Anybody tried them? Comments?
I bought a couple of tons for a fair price from someone who was moving south during the last oil scare. I'm keeping them as a backup for the next oil price scare. Anyway, I've burned some, and they're great. They burn really hot, so you better have a good, tight stove that you can throttle back. I haven't looked lately, but I've never seen them for a reasonable price. Way more than cordwood or pellets. I'd like to find a good way to burn pellets in my woodstove. I've seen some gadgets for that, I'd like to know if any work well.
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:40 PM   #257
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
I bought a couple of tons for a fair price from someone who was moving south during the last oil scare. I'm keeping them as a backup for the next oil price scare. Anyway, I've burned some, and they're great. They burn really hot, so you better have a good, tight stove that you can throttle back. I haven't looked lately, but I've never seen them for a reasonable price. Way more than cordwood or pellets. I'd like to find a good way to burn pellets in my woodstove. I've seen some gadgets for that, I'd like to know if any work well.
Thanks for the feedback. Right now I've seen them for sale at $280 a pallet, one cord of wood basically. Around here, the current price per cord for dry hardwood is $250. They have some advantages over wood: they are dry, less smoke, less ash, take up less space for an equal cord, stack easy, etc.

My stove is not an airtight model so burning them might be a problem. I might buy a bag or two and see how they work.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:04 PM   #258
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobudo28 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Right now I've seen them for sale at $280 a pallet, one cord of wood basically. Around here, the current price per cord for dry hardwood is $250. They have some advantages over wood: they are dry, less smoke, less ash, take up less space for an equal cord, stack easy, etc.

My stove is not an airtight model so burning them might be a problem. I might buy a bag or two and see how they work.
That does seem reasonable. Be careful burning them, try just two bricks at once to start with.
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #259
snowscum
World Owner

Oddometer: 1,263
Old 09-11-2012, 09:47 PM   #260
nephron
countercurrent exchanger

Oddometer: 228
love the vertebrae, but hard to think of a worse fireplace design.
nephron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:45 AM   #261
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
Anyone tried one of these? Any good?

Hope it's not 205

I've wanted to try one to see if they are worth it.. but man, they are expensive....

$150 for the small version: http://store.woodstove.com/product.p...cat=298&page=1

$240 for the larger version: http://store.woodstove.com/product.p...cat=298&page=1
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:24 AM   #262
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowscum View Post
That's a cool idea.. but that rug is going to last exactly one fire...

I've always had in my head that a three season porch with a suspended fireplace would be kind of cool..

Something more like this...

or this...

I credit this obsession/dream to my grandparents. They had one almost exactly like the one below in red on their three-season porch when I was growing up..

I like the larger aperature of this than then ones pictured above even if the ones above look sleeker...

A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:54 AM   #263
NewHampWoodsRider
Tag Captor

Oddometer: 458
Newb

Grew up with wood stoves, loved them.
Since I'm all grown up and hating to bend over every-time the oil man visits Ive been looking into installing one in my 5 year old Colonial.

Can anyone guide me on chimneys?

I have two options, go straight up and through the roof. (1 floor in family room, cathedral ceiling)
Or go through a wall and up the side of the house.
I understand that the ideal wall is a dormer wall, but can you run one out a non-dormer wall?

Ive been looking at the stainless double wall chimneys at lowes etc.
Any good? how about 6" vs. 8"?
Any recommendations on where to source chimneys?
Im very handy, could handle the installation but would want it to be done properly in order for homeowners insurance to cover in the event things go south.

Thanks guys!
NewHampWoodsRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:55 AM   #264
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,299
Shit, are those even *legal*? Friggin architects.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #265
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHampWoodsRider View Post
Grew up with wood stoves, loved them.
Since I'm all grown up and hating to bend over every-time the oil man visits Ive been looking into installing one in my 5 year old Colonial.

Can anyone guide me on chimneys?

I have two options, go straight up and through the roof. (1 floor in family room, cathedral ceiling)
Or go through a wall and up the side of the house.
I understand that the ideal wall is a dormer wall, but can you run one out a non-dormer wall?

Ive been looking at the stainless double wall chimneys at lowes etc.
Any good? how about 6" vs. 8"?
Any recommendations on where to source chimneys?
Im very handy, could handle the installation but would want it to be done properly in order for homeowners insurance to cover in the event things go south.

Thanks guys!

buy it online. The size depends on what your stove is rated for. Probably 6". Through the wall would look nice and clean from the inside, less so on the outside since it has to go to the roof, then 3' past the highest point of the roof (I think).

Been awhile since I looked at a burning thread. I only burned about 50% of the time last year as natural gas was so cheap it wasn't worth the hassle. I"m just running a USStove 1300 furnace. I tried a package of the biobricks and due to the inefficiencies of the furnace, realized little heat from them. In an airtight stove though, it might work better.

almost chimney sweeping time

vwboomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #266
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,556
Well, I am no expert on stove installs, but I do know that the fewer degrees of elbow you can use, the better. My stove pipe goes straight from the top to the stove to the cap in one direct run. That stove never has a draw problem.

Unless your stove is a long ways from the wall, you must use double wall pipe - if you can get clearance, single wall greatly enhances heat into the room at no cost, plus dribbles creosote.

A double insulated bottom and back also reduce your clearances to combustables.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #267
MudWalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone View Post
I've wanted to try one to see if they are worth it.. but man, they are expensive....

$150 for the small version: http://store.woodstove.com/product.p...cat=298&page=1

$240 for the larger version: http://store.woodstove.com/product.p...cat=298&page=1
I have the smaller 2-blade model. This will be it's 3rd season and mostly it a conversation piece but I have found a useful job for it. I use a large 4" deep oven pan to evaporate water for humidity, the fan sits on the back corner of the stove top and blows across the pan.

I don't recommend it for moving air, and if you have to have one don't put it on the middle of the stove top, you will overheat it and it will only last two years.
MudWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #268
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephron View Post
love the vertebrae, but hard to think of a worse fireplace design.
Symbolism over substance. Or, art for arts sake. Take your pick.

kobudo28 screwed with this post 09-12-2012 at 02:19 PM
kobudo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #269
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,726
got about 2 cords seasoned, split and stacked that will be feed through a Sierra Energy fireplace insert.
night time temps have been getting to the low 40's. But day time temps are still getting close to 80. I don't expect to start burning for another month. Still need to sweep the stack and clean out the reburn chambers.

We really only burn for comfort heat. Set the thermostat, which is located down stairs in the low 50's. That keeps the pipes in the crawl space from freezing and the upstairs in the low 60's. Since almost all of the living space is upstairs it works, and we space heat the downstairs as needed. Fire up the stove to bring the upstairs into the 70's.

I have a desk fan that a screwed into the top corner of a doorway. It really moves the heat around well. The offical corner doorway fans are expensive for how cheap of a fan it is. Our house is wired for permanet smoke detectors. I tapped into one of the lines to power the fan; no cords running down to the plugs. Boss has one of those camfer thermo fans. Moved heat ok but doesn't really get it to the other rooms. Like Mudwalker stated it is more of a conversation piece. He says he can also tell the heat of the stove by the speed of the fan.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #270
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,424
Eek

Any good pellet stoves besides Harman?

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: