Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #271
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowscum View Post
That must be an inmate's place. The wall looks like it's made of bacon.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:50 PM   #272
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 5,964
Too early for this shit-- I'm not done with summer yet.

Winter'll be along soon enough.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #273
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Any good pellet stoves besides Harman?
My problem with getting one with the house was finding someone who was willing to service it. MY advice is to find a local service guy FIRST, and find out which one he likes to service BEST and buy that one. Believe me, a pellet stove takes regular service and the easier it is to do the better for you or your service guy - I have ours serviced every year for a pittance, this year we had to replace a couple hundred bucks of parts and I was glad HE did it and not me.

I broke down and ordered a cord of hardwood, split and delivered - I used only half of what I bought last year, so I've still got a couple cords of pine with that and the oak left over from last year I'm good for a season - the ton of pellets get delivered next week - I used just a skosh over 50 bags last season. This year would have to be hella cold. I can only hope! I figure that hardwood is good two for one, so a cord of hardwood is equal to two cords of soft.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #274
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,130
Thanks, sounds like good advice.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #275
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
I bought a couple of tons for a fair price from someone who was moving south during the last oil scare. I'm keeping them as a backup for the next oil price scare. Anyway, I've burned some, and they're great. They burn really hot, so you better have a good, tight stove that you can throttle back. I haven't looked lately, but I've never seen them for a reasonable price. Way more than cordwood or pellets. I'd like to find a good way to burn pellets in my woodstove. I've seen some gadgets for that, I'd like to know if any work well.
I found the local privatly owned home center sells the bricks by the 40 pound bundle so I am going to pick some up this weekend and give them a try. 38 deg at 5:00AM this morning so its coming.

I'm not sure if my Freeflow will handle them though. I've been looking at Jotul 602's on CL just in case.

Picked up just shy of a 1/4 cord of green maple last weekend for free and split what I could by hand. There is somthing about splitting wood with a maul and or hammer and wedges that is satisfying. Some stuff it too big and too green so I am renting a splitter to finish it off.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #276
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,266
wait til it's well below freezing and split it. my first year in the house all was split by hand. Usually sub freezing temps in a tshirt. good work out.

I do like my splitter though
Old 09-25-2012, 11:41 PM   #277
Piston
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobudo28 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Right now I've seen them for sale at $280 a pallet, one cord of wood basically. Around here, the current price per cord for dry hardwood is $250. They have some advantages over wood: they are dry, less smoke, less ash, take up less space for an equal cord, stack easy, etc.

My stove is not an airtight model so burning them might be a problem. I might buy a bag or two and see how they work.
Where did you find them for that price? That isn't bad. I've read a bit about them and my aunt has used them (she lives in NH) and seems to really like them.

I THINK I have enough wood for this season and hopefully I'm splitting my next years wood now. I was thinking of buying a pallet of these just to keep around as backup. Probably don't need a full pallet though, but then again, I probably don't need most of the shit I buy anyways.

Still haven't fired up my fireview yet, need to clean the chimney first.
“What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race.”
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:26 AM   #278
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
wait til it's well below freezing and split it. my first year in the house all was split by hand. Usually sub freezing temps in a tshirt. good work out.

I do like my splitter though
Yeah, I know I should have waited for it to freeze, but I wanted to see how much I could split, well, just because.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:33 AM   #279
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piston View Post
Where did you find them for that price? That isn't bad. I've read a bit about them and my aunt has used them (she lives in NH) and seems to really like them.

I THINK I have enough wood for this season and hopefully I'm splitting my next years wood now. I was thinking of buying a pallet of these just to keep around as backup. Probably don't need a full pallet though, but then again, I probably don't need most of the shit I buy anyways.

Still haven't fired up my fireview yet, need to clean the chimney first.
That is the MSRP on their web page. I'll get a solid price this Saturday when I pick up a bundle. I think he told me $6.65 for a 40 pound bundle.

I don't burn wood full time as primary heat. Mostly early in the season to take the chill off, weekends and in the spring to warm the house a little. I don't have the ideal set-up for burning wood as a primary. My stove isn't large enough and it is in the cellar, the only place I can put it. Good to have in case of and emergency too.

kobudo28 screwed with this post 09-26-2012 at 05:05 AM
kobudo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:48 AM   #280
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Local building supply store is $309/ton delivered.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:17 AM   #281
Piston
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Local building supply store is $309/ton delivered.
Thanks for the update,
Your not anywhere near Alton are you?
“What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race.”
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:38 AM   #282
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piston View Post
Thanks for the update,
Your not anywhere near Alton are you?
You are welcome.

No, upper valley, Conn river on the border with Vt
Old 09-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #283
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,126
Let it snow....I'm ready with plenty of heat

Well, it's starting to actually cool off now, and today, finally, I'm ready.

Local Ranch Supply house delivered a ton of wood pellets for the pellet stove, two weeks ago, I took delivery of a cord of hardwood (oak and Peach) to supplement the roughly two cords left from last year - we burned two cords of pine last year.

I've got 6 large cartons of kindling split and stocked in the shed where it will stay completely dry.

There is 375 or so gallons of Propane for the cooking stove and emergency gas fired heater, and the electric baseboards have been tested.

To quote the Sgt. "Come on, do your worst, I'm ready for you!"

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #284
Srbenda
Embassy of South Carolina

Oddometer: 11,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
Well, it's starting to actually cool off now, and today, finally, I'm ready.

Local Ranch Supply house delivered a ton of wood pellets for the pellet stove, two weeks ago, I took delivery of a cord of hardwood (oak and Peach) to supplement the roughly two cords left from last year - we burned two cords of pine last year.

I've got 6 large cartons of kindling split and stocked in the shed where it will stay completely dry.

There is 375 or so gallons of Propane for the cooking stove and emergency gas fired heater, and the electric baseboards have been tested.

To quote the Sgt. "Come on, do your worst, I'm ready for you!"
Peach wood? I don't see that used very much!

If you burned 2 cords of pine last winter, one cord of hardwood will probably provide just about as much BTU value.
It seemed to me that the earth may he borrowed but not bought. It may be used but not owned. It gives itself in response to love and tending.... But we are tenants and not possessors, lovers and not masters.
Srbenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #285
thechickencow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 660
I don't remember posting here or not, but I'm using a Lopi Leyden, top loader wood stove. Mainly last year I've burnt slab wood from a local wood cutter, I'm moving to split wood this year once I finish that up. That reminds me I need to get to stacking up for next winter.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: