Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-14-2010, 04:32 PM   #16
Srbenda
Embassy of South Carolina

Oddometer: 11,975
I have an insert, pedigree unknown.

We burn in the evening, and during the day if Mrs. Srbenda is around and keeps the fire going.

Last year, we went through about 2 cords of oak, and we ended up running out of wood near the end of February.

It keeps our 1930-era house warm down to about 30f outside, and then the corners of the house get chilly.

I get all of my wood from neighborhood trees that are taken down or come down in storms, almost all oak with some mulberry mixed in, and some cedar for starting the fires.
It seemed to me that the earth may he borrowed but not bought. It may be used but not owned. It gives itself in response to love and tending.... But we are tenants and not possessors, lovers and not masters.
Srbenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #17
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot
I have a floor vent under my stove at my cabin. Nothing fancy, just a hole in the floor. No basement, the cabin is built on a post foundation, so plenty of air flow to the vent. I boxed in the underside, but it is still pretty lose.

Simple solution....

Sounds like our house... one of the bonues of a 1823 cape.... lousy foundation sealing.....

Actually I don't think we are quite that bad... but the foundation is made of granite slabs...as are most older home foundations in the state...
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #18
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt
Aaron- glad to hear you like that stove- it's one of many things we're shopping for right now!

I hope you bought it at one of their "you come up here and put it in your truck and we'll pretty much give it to you for nothing" weekend sales.
Sup Adam...

Yup..

Woodstock Soapstone is the real deal.... We looked at a lot of stoves...Vermont Casting, Morso, Hearthstone, Tulikivi, Jotul, Rais... and all are really nice stoves... but only a couple come in Soapstone... which I wanted to try out because of the way the soapstone hold heat overnight... It litterally takes a couple of days to cool down.... so that helps where we run it all he time....

The fact that it is made in NH and is one of the best built stoves sold it for me.. you pick it right up at the factory... they plop in in your truck at the loading dock (or you can have it shipped)

The other thing that did it was that it was the only builder to offer the non-polished finish for the soap stone and paint...almost all the others that were painted were gloss enamels that tend to bubble and flake over time... the paint has held up very nicely so far...

Not the cheapest... but I am happy....

I don't know about the 'we'll pretty much give it to you for nothing' sales... But you're one of those rich guys so I guess so....
Old 10-15-2010, 03:27 AM   #19
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone

I don't know about the 'we'll pretty much give it to you for nothing' sales... But you're one of those rich guys so I guess so....
It helps when you know a guy that works there.

And rich? I was gonna ask YOU for a loan...
adam_c_eckhardt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:11 AM   #20
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 5,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudWalker
He will cut to length and split to size as I wish........damn this beats dealing with log loads, chainsaws and a splitting maul!
I think doing these myself adds to the general satisfaction of heating with wood. Not to sound like some sort of Luddite, but the trip into the countryside to cut firewood, and the (usually) cooperative effort of splitting it really is to me integral to wood stove ownership & operation.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:56 AM   #21
dirtyoffroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
I have always used wood heat,but also cut all my own wood.If I had to pay premium rate for processed firewood,I would consider pellet stove.
dirtyoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:22 AM   #22
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

I wish I had time to cut and process the wood... but I am at the other end of the spectrum... The money saved from cutting, moving and processing it wouldn't be much of a return over buying it cut, kiln dried and delivered to the front of my barn... maybe if I already had a decent size tractor and a place to lay it all out it might be worth it.. but even then... I'm working 6-7 days a week as it is...

But I hear you guys... getting it processed is all part of the satisfaction that it provides...

I just love the heat wood gives and stacking it will have to do for now..
Old 10-15-2010, 06:02 AM   #23
MudWalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead
I think doing these myself adds to the general satisfaction of heating with wood. Not to sound like some sort of Luddite, but the trip into the countryside to cut firewood, and the (usually) cooperative effort of splitting it really is to me integral to wood stove ownership & operation.
Well, I used to do it all myself.........I would even scrounge for fallen trees after storms. I don't have the time with work and other home projects, it just got to be too much. When I retire I may change back but for now, with the price I'm getting it just don't add up. The best part of buying from a (this) wood guy is the splits are clean!
MudWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:02 AM   #24
payner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
I love wood heat. When we decided we needed to do something with the fireplace some previous owner had installed in our living room, I went looking for a wood burning insert. Unfortunately, with a metal firebox, local regs disallow real inserts so it was gas... but then I visited a shop that sold "hearth heaters". They are essentially wood stoves that sit on your hearth... or inserts that stick out of your fireplace. Certanly not the prettiest thing going but it was our only option.

I now love it, it still aint pretty but it's so nice to have a comfy fire burning in the living room AND get heat from it (something missing from the old fireplace!).
Only issue is it can heat 1000 sq/ft but the heat doesn't really get to the bedrooms. Oh well.

Other thing I love about well designed wood stoves is that it takes almost nothing to light them. With the draft properly set up, a couple pieces of newspaper and a few sticks of kindling have the fire blazing... unlike the mounds of paper and kindling required to start the old conventional fireplace.
payner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:39 AM   #25
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,990
We DIY the wood chore, this year all free maple and oak trees. 8+ cords split in one weekend with a rented splitter.

SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:09 AM   #26
MikeFromMT
Past Tense

Oddometer: 3,669
Ours was like Gremeors stove, we had 2 just like it at our homes in Montana and Washington, but the best thing was the wood that we burned in WA (we burned log home logs in MT, pine, left over from manufacturing, very inexpensive) they're called North Idaho energy logs and man are they the shit.

http://www.northidahoenergylogs.com/ They burn very hot and very long, they leave minuscule ash and almost no residue/creosote, each log weighs about 7 lbs and burns for about 5-6 hours, we'd start a fire at 4pm with 2 logs and add a third about 8-9 pm. If I was up late I'd add 2 more around midnight and still have good coals in the morning. Our homes were about 1200-1500 square feet and we'd burn about 3,000 lbs per season. At $130 per ton that was some inexpensive heat.

Do I look like a man with a plan?
MikeFromMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:25 AM   #27
MudWalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourKraut
We DIY the wood chore, this year all free maple and oak trees. 8+ cords split in one weekend with a rented splitter.

Thats a nice score........back a little sore?

This is what I was saying about nice clean wood!
MudWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:30 AM   #28
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFromMT
Ours was like Gremeors stove, we had 2 just like it at our homes in Montana and Washington, but the best thing was the wood that we burned in WA (we burned log home logs in MT, pine, left over from manufacturing, very inexpensive) they're called North Idaho energy logs and man are they the shit.

http://www.northidahoenergylogs.com/ They burn very hot and very long, they leave minuscule ash and almost no residue/creosote, each log weighs about 7 lbs and burns for about 5-6 hours, we'd start a fire at 4pm with 2 logs and add a third about 8-9 pm. If I was up late I'd add 2 more around midnight and still have good coals in the morning. Our homes were about 1200-1500 square feet and we'd burn about 3,000 lbs per season. At $130 per ton that was some inexpensive heat.
That is pretty sweet... they are like giant pellets for a pellet stove... never seen those... You must have to store them somewhere pretty dry...

Lets do the math: Site says 8,600 btu per pound.. or 17,200,000 per ton.. and you report a price of $130 per ton.

Compared to oak at 27,500,000 btu per cord.. the oak would have to sell at less than $208 a cord to match it... ((27.5 / 17.2) X 130).. which is less than I am paying now..

Is that $130/ton the current price or is that 'back in the day'?? Site doesn't show pricing..
Old 10-15-2010, 08:41 AM   #29
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Quote:
It helps when you know a guy that works there.
I guess that doesn't hurt..

Quote:
And rich? I was gonna ask YOU for a loan...
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight....

I'll send a credit app right over...
Old 10-15-2010, 08:51 AM   #30
MikeFromMT
Past Tense

Oddometer: 3,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone

Is that $130/ton the current price or is that 'back in the day'?? Site doesn't show pricing..
It's been about 3 years since I've purchased any (we've moved) the logs are sold individually, about 70-80 cents per or you could buy a pallet load for $125-140 depending on who had it and if they had a sale. Ya, they're just like big pellets, without the need for an auger and electricity to run a noisy blower. We'd burn one and a half pallets in a winter. Looks like you might be SOL on getting any... You can buy North Idaho Energy Logs in any of the following states:
Alaska
California
Idaho
Montana
Nevada
Oregon
Washington
Wyoming

Do I look like a man with a plan?
MikeFromMT is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: