Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #301
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone View Post
That's the way to run it... Small fire, burning hot... rather than a big fire smouldering....

Free is tough to beat..especailly if you only occationaly use it.. You're right that you would never make up buying a new stove vs a free one... The good news if it ever gets too hot, you can just open a window for a few mintues.....

Just lit a fire this AM too in the small stove in the den... Not cold enough for the big stove.. but perfect for the small one today... Nothing like a fire on a cool, raw, rainy day....

Going to head out to the barn to finish the last stacking of the season that I was supposed to finish a couple weeks ago ... but its been too warm .... 6 cords....DONE!!! well almost.. back in a bit...

It's not cool out, I wore shorts to go to the store today.

I picked up a 40 pound bundle of the "bio-bricks" yesterday. I am anxious to try them and see if they work out. I rented a splitter for Friday PM to spilt the last 18 chunks of large, green, notty maple but it is too dangerous with all this rain so it will have to wait.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #302
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
That's the way to run it... Small fire, burning hot... rather than a big fire smouldering....

Free is tough to beat..especailly if you only occationaly use it.. You're right that you would never make up buying a new stove vs a free one... The good news if it ever gets too hot, you can just open a window for a few mintues.....

Just lit a fire this AM too in the small stove in the den... Not cold enough for the big stove.. but perfect for the small one today... Nothing like a fire on a cool, raw, rainy day....

Going to head out to the barn to finish the last stacking of the season that I was supposed to finish a couple weeks ago ... but its been too warm .... 6 cords....DONE!!! well almost.. back in a bit...
I see Defiants on CL for sale all the time, usually for very little money because they are too big for most houses. There are quite a few Vigilants for sale as well. I had a Resolute in one of my old houses, it was the right size and worked very well.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #303
daveoneshot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Fired up the old Ashley this morning with a bit of small stuff........crispy pine chips and some dead ash I picked up a
day or two ago. I like the Ashley, it's an oval sheet metal stove with cast iron top and bottom, top loader, with an air intake regulated by a heat sensitive flap. This one has no front door, just a top lid. Got stacks of ash, yellow birch, rock maple, even some bone dry poplar hanging around. Oh, can't forget beech, one of my favorites. Keep splitting.
daveoneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #304
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobudo28 View Post
It's not cool out, I wore shorts to go to the store today.

I picked up a 40 pound bundle of the "bio-bricks" yesterday. I am anxious to try them and see if they work out. I rented a splitter for Friday PM to spilt the last 18 chunks of large, green, notty maple but it is too dangerous with all this rain so it will have to wait.
Don't worry.. I was out there in shorts and a tee shirt.. it was in the 50's here today and nice n rainy (doesn't my Irish soul good)..... I love this time of the year when you work hard don't break a sweat...

All done though... and even got a decent workout in after on the stairmaster.... A Harpoon seasonal is calling my name...

Where did you get the 'bio bricks'?? Got a link as to what they are??
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:18 PM   #305
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Don't worry.. I was out there in shorts and a tee shirt.. it was in the 50's here today and nice n rainy (doesn't my Irish soul good)..... I love this time of the year when you work hard don't break a sweat...

All done though... and even got a decent workout in after on the stairmaster.... A Harpoon seasonal is calling my name...

A fellow Celt, I might have known!

There are several companies that make them. They are a bit like giant wood pellets of sorts. I bought mine from Lavalley's but there are other places I am sure.

Here is the brand I picked up.

www.woodbrickfuel.com

Bio Bricks is a trademarked name for the same type of thing.

Not cold enough yet to light them off and try them.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:28 AM   #306
small_e_900
Amanda carried it

Oddometer: 1,639
Quote:

Around here, everyone who sells wood pellets also sells one form or another of bio-bricks.
You can get them at Tractor Supply or even Walmart.
I don't know anyone who is using them. I would imagine the quality varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, like pellet quality does.

The claim is that a ton of bio-bricks has the equivelant heat output of 150 gallons of oil.

I like the fact that they don't have to be cut and split. The stacking is much easier also.

I'm getting too damned old to heat with wood.
small_e_900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:51 AM   #307
Piston
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Your way ahead of me A-bone!
“What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race.”
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #308
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Not new tech, but.....

Anyone running a Jotul 602?
Old 10-03-2012, 11:31 PM   #309
Piston
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobudo28 View Post
Anyone running a Jotul 602?
My neighbor has had a 602 for as far back as I can remember. Not sure when they came out with that stove but it must have been a good 30yrs ago or so at least. About 5 yrs ago he decided it was time for an upgrade because his front door got a little warped, so he went out and bought a brand new 602 to replace the old 602. That's a really nice little stove and has a great reputation. He heats his living room with it every day starting around now through spring. I've spent many early mornings sitting in his living room enjoying a cup of coffee next to that stove, listening to "old man" stories.

It won't give you overnight burns or heat a whole house, but if I had a small cabin or wanted to heat a large room that would be the stove I would choose. Just remember, when they say the max log lengh is 16" they mean it. He goes through all his wood and measures it and if it's 17" or more, he puts it off to the side for me to take.

They now offer it with a glass door which is nice.
“What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race.”
Old 10-09-2012, 06:08 PM   #310
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piston View Post
My neighbor has had a 602 for as far back as I can remember. Not sure when they came out with that stove but it must have been a good 30yrs ago or so at least. About 5 yrs ago he decided it was time for an upgrade because his front door got a little warped, so he went out and bought a brand new 602 to replace the old 602. That's a really nice little stove and has a great reputation. He heats his living room with it every day starting around now through spring. I've spent many early mornings sitting in his living room enjoying a cup of coffee next to that stove, listening to "old man" stories.

It won't give you overnight burns or heat a whole house, but if I had a small cabin or wanted to heat a large room that would be the stove I would choose. Just remember, when they say the max log lengh is 16" they mean it. He goes through all his wood and measures it and if it's 17" or more, he puts it off to the side for me to take.

They now offer it with a glass door which is nice.
Thanks, the reputation of the 602 is quite good. I am not sure if I am going to make a change just yet.

It was cool today, a little raw out and the house had a chill, so I started my FreeFlow to take the chill off the house. It warmed the place up well.
Once it burned down to a hot bed of coals I tossed in my first load of Bio-Bricks.

Granted, its not real cold out, but SOB do those things put some heat out! I had to open the door to the sun porch to cool it down some.

Forecast to be 31 on Friday night into Sat AM so I can run a load then and see how they work. They could be a viable alternative to standard fire wood.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #311
Dave
Huh?

Oddometer: 2,741
Anyone have experience with a Jotul C 550?

I currently have a Jotul 3 I got in trade from my veterinarian. I installed it myself. I cut a custom metal plate, and screwed it into the top of the firebox, and cut a hole for some stove pipe up through it. No chimney liner. The stove is getting pretty tired, and I'm looking to upgrade to something nicer and will handle larger wood. I had a sweep come out for a look. He said my flue is a little dirty, but said it wasn't dangerous.

My county doesn't allow people to install their own stoves. Licensed pros only, and it needs to be inspected. So, at least it will be done right.
Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #312
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
My county doesn't allow people to install their own stoves. Licensed pros only, and it needs to be inspected. So, at least it will be done right.
Not the worse thing I've ever heard...
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #313
Bryn1203
Dances with spaniels

Oddometer: 1,811
Quote:
We had one of those growing up on our furnace in the basement... I can't believe those aren't standard...

It's basically the KLR milk-crate of wood heat... So cheap and simple, you don't know why everyone isn't doing it... As a cheap Yankee... I can't believe I don't have one now...

For those that haven't seen one: it is basically just an air to air heat exchanger open to the indoor air... thermostatically controlled to run only when flu gasses are above a certain temp...

explain this to be slowly, using small words

Get $5 off Smugmug - use this code NxRfLxbR5xhlE
Bryn1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #314
Piston
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn1203 View Post
explain this to be slowly, using small words
It's a fan.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #315
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,955
Quote:
Not the worse thing I've ever heard...
Commie. Might as well move to Vermont.

adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: