Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #316
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn1203 View Post
explain this to be slowly, using small words
Its a drinking game.. you thow a quarters in the holes to make other people drink..
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #317
Bryn1203
Dances with spaniels

Oddometer: 1,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piston View Post
It's a fan.
thanks - had thought it was clevererer -

Get $5 off Smugmug - use this code NxRfLxbR5xhlE
Bryn1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #318
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,771
I ran the "enviro-bricks" last night and they do put out a lot of heat! It was 23 this AM when I got up, 72 in the LR and the stove is in the cellar. I didn't load it as much as I could have because I was not sure how they would burn. So far, they seem to work quite well.

I think I will try one more fire with them in my Free Flow before I decide to buy a ton, or not.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:21 AM   #319
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,835
The amounts of wood and energy those old iron stoves use is ridiculous - if even only for the time some guys waste on cutting wood alone.

If I ever end up with a wood heating system again, I'm going to go this route: Rocket Stove Mass Heater page with an explanation and videos

A few from that page:

If only I had the funds to move to where I would even need one, lol. Stuck in south Florida... I shouldn't complain too much.

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 10-14-2012 at 07:27 AM
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:08 AM   #320
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,009
I have a Quadrafire stove (moving in today so not sure what model or how well it works - POs say it heats the whole house).

I was thinking of moving it to the shop to keep it heated when I am in there and getting one of these (called the Vermont Bun Baker) for the house:

A bit on the expensive side and very heavy (not sure if my floor can take that much weight - I need to check the joists), but I like the oven aspect of it and I am thinking that the soapstone will hold and radiate heat after the fire dies down so I can build a fire when I get home at night and not have to keep it going all night and the next day (not sure I want a fire going while I am away at work).

The house seems well insulated (r38 for the ceiling) for the year it was made (97) and the electric furnace seems to work well enough to heat up the house when I first enter until the stove can take over.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #321
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,047
Sister bought this a couple years back after a chimney fire on X-mas eve from the old stove. Nice unit, wood/electric and significantly cuts down on the wood consumption over the old wood stove. And that got her rid also of the old oil furnace that was costing way too much in fuel.

Sorry not a good pic but, I think that was $5-6,000.00 installed after shopping around and saving thousands. She likes counting $$$, told me it would take 10 years to recoup her investment in fuel savings. Good investment if only for safety over the old jury rigged wood stove. But that was my former B-I-L, he looks and acts just like Red-Green.I am so happy she booted him out and listened to me about buying fire extinguishers. Then I had to teach her how to put out a chimney fire with one of them large ones, just in case it ever happens again. I doubt it but....good thing to know when you burn wood.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #322
legion
Lard Council

Oddometer: 12,339
That firebox is tiny, Monkee. Might be an interesting novelty but there's not a chance in hell that'll ever keep a fire burning for more than 3 hours or so and if that's the case you'll be freezing your patoot off with a cold house every morning. If she's going to keep you warm all night she's got to have a big box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
I was thinking of moving it to the shop to keep it heated when I am in there and getting one of these (called the Vermont Bun Baker) for the house:

legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #323
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
That firebox is tiny, Monkee. Might be an interesting novelty but there's not a chance in hell that'll ever keep a fire burning for more than 3 hours or so and if that's the case you'll be freezing your patoot off with a cold house every morning. If she's going to keep you warm all night she's got to have a big box.
Thanks. I didn't think about the size of the firebox, but I think the general idea is to build the fire and then let the soapstone radiate the heat after the fire dies down.

I'll get some experience with the stove I have and then think on it some more. Not going to buy a new stove this year - done blew my wad on the house, going to take some time to get back to a point where I am comfortable with large expenditures and still have reserves for emergencies and such.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:37 AM   #324
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post

Specs from the manufacturer's site:

Area Heated: 750-1,000sf
Soapstone Weight: 300lbs.
Cast Iron Insert Weight: 350 lbs.
Total Size: 24 1/4" x 21 1/4 " x 34 1/2"
Firebox: 13 1/2" x 11 1/2" x 15 1/2"

Oven 14 1/2" x 13 1/2" x 11"
Top Exit Flu Size: 6"
Wood Max Length: 14"
Heat Output: 30,000 BTU's/hr
Efficiency Rating: 78%

So it is on the smaller size at 30k BTU...

But depending on how you are using it or if your house is well insulated, it could be plenty of stove..
Old 10-22-2012, 08:28 AM   #325
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 11,561
Man, a small firebox is the bane of the wood heat user! One of the nice things about the Defiant is a 22" deep side entrance.

While it's a rather nifty concept, it seems to sort of fall into a strange slot, not quite a dedicated cook stove, not a big-house heater.

One application might be for a house that has regular power outages but is otherwise on the grid - you would not use that much wood so the small woodbox would not be a handicap all winter long...

While not a dedicated stove shop, www.lehmans.com has a number of heating and cooking stoves to look at. Some of them are quite nice, some of them are quite utilitarian.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #326
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,047
Lehmans...Anyone should go drool over their catalogue once in a while. Dammit was close to the store a couple years back and no time to go, had to ride West quick!

Eh! Oh! Way to go Ohio....!

The fire box sizes....all depends on the stove I guess, the wood/electric furnace I posted up there sure doesn't have a big box but I have fed it often enough that I know it is good for 8 Hrs and then still coals. Will relight a large chunk of maple real quick with the thermostatically controlled fan.No need to watch that one too often, just go upstairs and set up the thermostat.

Neighbor made the mistake of getting a regular stove with too small a firebox, now he complains that he has to split the wood smaller and gets up at night to feed the stove, not that good either one at his age. Serves him the cheapo German for not spending a couple hundreds more on his new stove.

Not my problem with my old free one....big wood means lot less work and 6-8 hours combustion and even more because I installed a damper in the flue and can control it better.Works well the damper if the door seals fail,and they do fail, then no need to replace them right away.They failed a couple years ago, maybe I should fix that....!

All about the wood, I burn mostly Cottonwood, Douglas Fir and Birch seasonned for a couple years++++ in a stove designed for 1,500 sq.ft. house. My house is half that. Always dampened and never have to relight it when I am home. Kindling...no need for that job too often, always a few cedar shingles cut-offs kicking around.

Just went up yesterday to sweep the chimney after....ouch 3-4 years. Nothing in there, wasted my time setting up the ladders and climbing up there.

But...the bird sure needed a cleaning!

And that reminded me that I should screen that cap, had a flying squirrel fall down the chimney once when I was away for a while. That sure reeked up my house and stove. Country boys bewarned....screen everything!

And I can't really show here but I raised the cap a few inches. Too low from the factory and then creosote can build up under the cap. Then fall off as a big plate and plug the flue, happened to me....coming back to a cold house ant not be able to light the stove re...no draft, no fun at all. Never happened again after I raised the cap.

H96669 screwed with this post 10-22-2012 at 12:43 PM
H96669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #327
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 5,732
On the subject of small fireboxes:

I have one of these -

Made by Bosca, it has a very small firebox, BUT had I bought anything larger I would roast myself out of house & small home on any but the coldest days. I really needed a small stove, and I suppose I could have bought a small Jotul with its long narrow firebox, but this one was available (relatively) locally.

Sometimes a small firebox is just something you gotta put up with.

It's not that big a deal really, except when I forget to buck rounds short enough.

'04 GS Adv- A fond memory
'07 990 Adventure- still bonding...

How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #328
Ironrdr
Pay No Attention...

Oddometer: 524
Been looking at inserts for a fireplace I hope to soon own (see "Let's Buy a House!" In Inmates for full details on that nightmare).

The local vendor recommended the Napoleon 1402 or an Osburn unit (he didn't specify a unit, but I like the looks of the 2000).

Any first hand knowledge on these units, or any others I should be looking at?

The house is a rancher, about 1300 sq/ft with what looks to be above average insulation and electic baseboards that I'm going to try not to turn on. The existing fireplace is in the kitchen/living area.

-darrell

2011 Ride West Ride Report
Ironrdr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #329
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironrdr View Post
Been looking at inserts for a fireplace I hope to soon own (see "Let's Buy a House!" In Inmates for full details on that nightmare).
Just as a side note... You can convert most fireplaces to accept a stove incase you don't find an insert that you like...

The inserts I've seen that make the most sense have a built in fan to circulate the air... I don't know much about inserts... maybe they all have them...
Old 10-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #330
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 9,354
we put in a small one last winter.

The main reason was the location we picked. This stove had the smallest wall clearance to stay within code, and it puts out plenty of heat for the living area (living room, dining area and kitchen).

sure, the small box does have his drawbacks - it does not stay on overnight, so this winter will be a nice test (we are trying not to run the propane heat)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: