User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #421
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,015
Yeah, I worked through much more wood than I have in years. We bought a hydraulic splitter last fall though and have a decent sized logging project in preparation for our carriage house build.
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #422
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
Even though it's nearly the end of wood heating season I thought I would throw this out. Has anyone used or have any experience with these?

It's essentially a fancy rocket stove. We're thinking of this or something like it for a summer kitchen or even perhaps a main kitchen.
Wow, that's interesting. Wonder how much heat it gives off, and if you just run it all the time.

Sure looks more fashionable than iron/steel.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #423
flipr
Scofflaw

Oddometer: 187
Rocket Stove Mass Heater

What they are and how they work: Rocket Mass Heaters

YouTube Channel
Video Blog
flipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:45 AM   #424
BillsR100
Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer: 2,793
EPA Bans Most Wood-Burning Stoves

I hate to post this for fear of turning this good thread into a political squabble. But I feel this is important news concerning wood burning stoves.

"Wood-burning stoves offer warmth and enhance off-grid living options during cold weather months, but the tried-and-true heating devices now are under attack by the Environmental Protection Agency.

The EPA has banned the production and sale of the types of stoves used by about 80 percent of those with such stoves.
...."

Source HERE

The good news is that it appears that the use of your existing wood stone isnt illegal, unless you live in a place where they already are.
BillsR100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #425
IDScarecrow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsR100 View Post
I hate to post this for fear of turning this good thread into a political squabble. But I feel this is important news concerning wood burning stoves.

"Wood-burning stoves offer warmth and enhance off-grid living options during cold weather months, but the tried-and-true heating devices now are under attack by the Environmental Protection Agency.

The EPA has banned the production and sale of the types of stoves used by about 80 percent of those with such stoves.
...."

Source HERE

The good news is that it appears that the use of your existing wood stone isnt illegal, unless you live in a place where they already are.
I read the linked article as well as some of that article's source material and that headline and intro is quite misleading.

IDScarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #426
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsR100 View Post

The EPA has banned the production and sale of the types of stoves used by about 80 percent of those with such stoves....."

Source HERE

Kinda like the CAFE standards for cars... Manufacturers just have to meet a federal minimum pollution standard.. Looks like the list of approved stoves includes hundreds of models from most of the major manufacturers.

It isn't like the EPA is saying that if you have a stove today, you can't use it.... local regulation in areas where air pollution is a serious problem may go above and beyond federal regulation, but this is just a minimum standard for manufacturers..
A-Bone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #427
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,274
Reminded me to go pitch another chunk of Oak into the Defiant.

They keep trying to do away with wood, and there's so much of it around here with the beetle kill, we are opening a 10 MW trash-wood fired power plant near us. So my wood stove is a polluter? My three cords? Best I can tell, it's a carbon-neutral fuel at worst.

Fortunately, for us, wood is our primary source of heat and we are long grandfathered. Wood and pellets are our primary heat sources.

That being said, short of CatCons [too much clogging], I think that improved efficiency standards for new stoves is a good idea. I think if you can incorporate clean burn technology so that the lower flue temps don't create creosote issues.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #428
Dave
Huh?

Oddometer: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone View Post
Kinda like the CAFE standards for cars... Manufacturers just have to meet a federal minimum pollution standard.. Looks like the list of approved stoves includes hundreds of models from most of the major manufacturers.

It isn't like the EPA is saying that if you have a stove today, you can't use it.... local regulation in areas where air pollution is a serious problem may go above and beyond federal regulation, but this is just a minimum standard for manufacturers..
It's not that big a deal. Cripes, the wood stove I just retired meets the EPA regulations. Get a load of the list of stoves that meet the regulation.

Wood smoke pollution was a real problem in many parts of the country before electricity became widespread. I'm pretty sure the regulation is to ensure we don't return to the bad old days.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #429
Elburrito
Donkey

Oddometer: 2,283
It's a stove, and it burns wood....ok, pellets. Ihave this pellet stove at the cottage and it blasts the heat all day. I miss the wood stove, but not the mess.
Elburrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #430
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipr View Post
Rocket Stove Mass Heater

What they are and how they work: Rocket Mass Heaters
I posted about these many pages ago, one or two winters ago.

Despite the title, most people really aren't looking for anything 'new' in wood heating - they're looking for same-old, same-old with updated designs.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #431
Bappo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
I'm replacing a phase I stove with a newer phase II but it is the same stove (Pacific Energy Super 27). Federal tax break plus Idaho tax breaks make it a no miss proposition. My old one is 25 years old which is about end of life.

Can't go wrong.
Bappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:12 AM   #432
flipr
Scofflaw

Oddometer: 187
North Florida this morning, 13 November 13:

Vermont Castings Vigilant Parlor Stove... 30 years new, a small fire to chase the morning chill.

YouTube Channel
Video Blog
flipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #433
badweatherbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
Quote:
Vermont Castings Vigilant Parlor Stove (wood burning model #0039) circa 1983... a little stove black and it looks brand new. Airtight, pre-EPA, thermostat for heat control, still available as a coal burning (Vigilant II) model #2310. If only the new chimney would last as long as the stove.

Less than two cords of seasoned oak per winter in North Florida, primary heat source.

Winter? of 2012/2013 in North Florida... half cord is plenty.
Phil I'm jealous, Ive been splitting wood with the maul for 3 days!
only one more truckload to go....
Advocare products-www.advocare.com/12084065
badweatherbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:52 PM   #434
Dave
Huh?

Oddometer: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by badweatherbiker View Post
Phil I'm jealous, Ive been splitting wood with the maul for 3 days!
only one more truckload to go....
North FL? You guys are going through that much wood? Seriously, how is that possible? My former in-laws live in JAX, and it froze maybe a couple of times a year, but then in a day or two it's 70 again.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:14 AM   #435
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,377
Quote:
North Florida this morning, 13 November 13:

Vermont Castings Vigilant Parlor Stove... 30 years new, a small fire to chase the morning chill.
That is the model of stove I grew up with... minus the windows...

Damn I don't miss that thing... freezing cold in the AM... blast furnace at night...

It did have a clever mechanical thermostatic air damper mechanism on the back though...

It would gradually open the damper as the stoved cooled to keep the fire going...

A-Bone is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: