Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 53 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-15-2010, 11:07 AM   #31
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudWalker
Thats a nice score........back a little sore?

This is what I was saying about nice clean wood!
Nobody I know wants to put in the work so I just keep the word out that I'll take the usable wood from any hardwoods that fall, die or get removed for any reason. It's funny, my back was sore when we started but got better over the weekend - manhandling rounds of firewood was some kind of therapy I guess.

I rent chippers and logsplitters since once I have a load like this I'll go 18 or so months without sport logging. This wood is for winters 2011/12 and 2012/13. Using 12+ month seasoned hard wood eliminates the need to clean my chimney - every time I open it up there's no build-up (6" metalbestos).
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:18 AM   #32
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorizo
I live in the Santa Cruz Mountains and burn in a Hearthstone I got 12 years ago. Traded for labor to tearout an old brick wall suround. Took me and a helper about two hours. The lady was tired of wood and wanted to go gas.
She was happy and I was stoked. It is now in its third (3) house! The last time I went and got a permit for it and had to get documentation from Hearthstone that it was a 'wood burning fireplace" apparently a fireplace has much less restriction in CA than a wood stove. I will take it with me when I go.
In Oregon you cannot install a stove that does not meet emissions standards. If you get ready to sell a house with a wood stove that does not meet emissions standards then you have to tear it out before selling or replace it with a stove that does meet standards.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:10 PM   #33
Tobz
Ne'er-du-well

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee
In Oregon you cannot install a stove that does not meet emissions standards. If you get ready to sell a house with a wood stove that does not meet emissions standards then you have to tear it out before selling or replace it with a stove that does meet standards.
Not exactly emmissions related, but my brother is battling his insurance company right now because they don't want him using his perfect condition Round Oak due to it not being UL approved. Sure it's 100 years old or so, but it's a LOT safer than any POS stove you can buy at a box store these days... He also runs a wood add-on for his gas furnace and they have no problem with that because it has a little approval tag.

I have an mid 80's Vermont Castings and absolutely love it.
Tobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:20 PM   #34
MudWalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone
That is pretty sweet... they are like giant pellets for a pellet stove... never seen those... You must have to store them somewhere pretty dry...

Lets do the math: Site says 8,600 btu per pound.. or 17,200,000 per ton.. and you report a price of $130 per ton.

Compared to oak at 27,500,000 btu per cord.. the oak would have to sell at less than $208 a cord to match it... ((27.5 / 17.2) X 130).. which is less than I am paying now..

Is that $130/ton the current price or is that 'back in the day'?? Site doesn't show pricing..
I just paid $220 per 2 full cord mixed oak & maple.......I bought 4 cord total for $440! Cut, split & delivered. I do have to stack it neatly though......like this of course.

Really, I'm in the process of making a pile like this right now.
MudWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:20 PM   #35
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,141
Quote:
I don't have the time with work and other home projects, it just got to be too much.
I hear ya.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:28 PM   #36
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,498
Quote:
I just paid $220 per 2 full cord mixed oak & maple.......I bought 4 cord total for $440! Cut, split & delivered. I do have to stack it neatly though......like this of course.

Really, I'm in the process of making a pile like this right now.
That is a pretty damn good price... seasoned/dry???

Lets see a picture of that pile when you are done...
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:39 PM   #37
MudWalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone
That is a pretty damn good price... seasoned/dry???

Lets see a picture of that pile when you are done...
Thats what I thought........it's green wood, for burning next winter. I am a little worried the oak will be a little young but thats the wood I'll stack in the sun and cover. I took one load from this guy last year and I'm burning it now, beech, maple and ash and it's perfect.

The fancy pile is just for fun, no more than a cord.
MudWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:45 PM   #38
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,470
I have a tiny Jotul we bought 5 years ago. That sucker puts out enough heat to warm the 1600sf ft space to around 72F in winter. The bad part is, I need my wood cut to 14" to fit in and it doesn't take more that 2 logs at a time. Still, burning only about 2 cords a year, plus 1/2 tank of oil to keep the basement above freezing.

Google found image
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:03 PM   #39
Twinz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
I'm another happy Woodstock Soapstone Stove user...the Keystone...big front window and burns all night! Had a Hearthstone before that, but all the seals failed making for runaway fires
Nothing beats soapstone! I did have to replace the catalytic converter...they replaced it for free...a $125 item.
'94 R1100RS, '84 R100CS, '76 R75/6 (S fairing)
'80 Guzzi V50 II, '73 Guzzi V7 Sport
Twinz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:46 PM   #40
BillsR100
Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer: 2,957
I dont have anyplace to put a free standing wood stove so I'm looking for a fireplace insert. We've always had wood burning stoves and now we cant.
I'm toying with the idea of building my own grate made of pipe with a small blower to blow air thru it. I've seen one before and was amazed at how much heat it put out! Sure, nothing like a wood stove but at least I can salvage some heat out of the fireplace when we have it going. I have access to wood, I want to use it!

The one I saw looked kinda like this.

BillsR100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:52 PM   #41
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Great thread! I figured I would add another slant to it though
Been installing these for a few years now with great success...

Its a Garn wood gasification boiler. The concept is pretty easy, you load the fire box with wood and light it, turn on the inducer fan timer and close the door.
Once the fire is lit, the charge starts to burn and when the temps rise, it will re-burn in a secondary burn chamber. The burner is actually immersed in a 1500, 2000, or a 3500 gallon tank of water and the flue gas pipe makes 2 more passes before exiting out the back of the unit. The last one I did was direct vented and during full fire (450,000 BTU), I can put my hand under the exhaust and hold it there You basically fire it until the tank is charged to 190 degrees and then let it burn out. Normally, a once a day firing is all that you'll need but that depends on the type of heating you have in the house, the size and of course the outside temperatures.

http://www.garn.com/index.wml

These boiler are not the old smoky classic outdoor boilers that you see littering the landscape and filling the valleys with smoke
Old 10-16-2010, 06:47 AM   #42
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,141
I thought I'd add a different perspective to the discussion about firewood: out here in my corner of the Empty Quarter we only have realistic access to ponderosa pine, cottonwood, and occasionally aspen, elm, and spruce/fir.

Ponderosa has a high to very pitch content, so if you want to burn it low and slow (for the 3 hrs or so a full firebox lasts), you run the risk of packing off your stovepipe and/or chimney cap. DAMHIK

Cottonwood burns hotter, but it can be difficult to start and it smokes like a tire fire in the process. It also leaves lots of ash behind. Easy on a chimney, though.

Spruce and fir start really easily, burn clean and reasonably hot (in a Western sense), and leave almost no ash. Usually too far to drive for, though.

Elm is hard to start, smells like ubambida when burning, and leaves great drifts of ash in a stove. Burns hot & clean, though.

Aspen is easy to start and burns clean, but dead trees large enough to warrant cutting are few and far between. It also isn't a very hot wood.

So there's your Wyoming Fuelwood Primer thumbnail. Next time you easterners become disillusioned with what's in your woodpile, think about the above and rejoice heartily.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:59 AM   #43
Going_Commando
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
I am going to check out a woodstove later today that is supposedly soapstone. I am not sure what kind of condition it is in, but if it is decent, you can't beat the price (free). I am too cheap to actually think about PAYING for a woodstove if I can help it, let alone get a new one! You guys must be rich! I can barely afford to pay attention!

Hey Aaron, I just checked my USB stick and it still has the music on it that you wanted. I might possibly get the day off tomorrow, you gonna be around?
Going_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:29 AM   #44
Shaggie
Unseen University

Oddometer: 2,606

i LOVE wood fires....log fires but especially open fires but here in Christchurch unfortunately we have a pretty bad inversion layer-thingy (tech speak there!) which means we have extremely strict air pollution laws regarding fires......wood burning heating is becoming rarer and rarer

Keep the pics coming folks!

S

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:30 AM   #45
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft
Great thread! I figured I would add another slant to it though
Been installing these for a few years now with great success...

Its a Garn wood gasification boiler. The concept is pretty easy, you load the fire box with wood and light it, turn on the inducer fan timer and close the door.
Once the fire is lit, the charge starts to burn and when the temps rise, it will re-burn in a secondary burn chamber. The burner is actually immersed in a 1500, 2000, or a 3500 gallon tank of water and the flue gas pipe makes 2 more passes before exiting out the back of the unit. The last one I did was direct vented and during full fire (450,000 BTU), I can put my hand under the exhaust and hold it there You basically fire it until the tank is charged to 190 degrees and then let it burn out. Normally, a once a day firing is all that you'll need but that depends on the type of heating you have in the house, the size and of course the outside temperatures.

http://www.garn.com/index.wml

These boiler are not the old smoky classic outdoor boilers that you see littering the landscape and filling the valleys with smoke
cool...

We just installed this district heating systems on the campus of Franklin Pierce University...

The system is made by Swebo of Sweden and runs on wood pellets that are stored in the silo next to the building.. Basically just a central plant that runs on wood...

The interesting part about this system is that it is metered btu system... so the end user, in this case the university, pays a per-btu price to the vendor that supplies the wood pellets... kind of a gimmik in my book... but the idea is that it creates a rate-payer/utility company relationship between the university and pellet maker and the university only pays for the energy it uses; there is no capitalized cost for the equipment sitting on the campus because it still belongs to the pellet maker..

It will consume 650 tons of pellets per year, replacing a system that used 106,000 gallons of LP per year.

A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: