Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-16-2010, 07:59 AM   #46
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Going_Commando
I am going to check out a woodstove later today that is supposedly soapstone. I am not sure what kind of condition it is in, but if it is decent, you can't beat the price (free). I am too cheap to actually think about PAYING for a woodstove if I can help it, let alone get a new one! You guys must be rich! I can barely afford to pay attention!

Hey Aaron, I just checked my USB stick and it still has the music on it that you wanted. I might possibly get the day off tomorrow, you gonna be around?
*yikes*... free can sometimes be expensive... be careful if there is anything wrong with the stove.. the gaskets going bad being the most dangerous because (A) often you can't see them all & (B) because you can't control the fire once it gets going if you can't control the air flow..

Yeah... we'll be around..
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:20 AM   #47
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudWalker
I just paid $220 per 2 full cord mixed oak & maple.......I bought 4 cord total for $440! Cut, split & delivered. I do have to stack it neatly though......like this of course.
When I was young and poor (35 years ago) I tried to make a living cutting firewood. We would deliver unsplit fir (junk fallen trees on paper company land - we had a permit from them) for $40 per cord.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:32 AM   #48
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsR100
I dont have anyplace to put a free standing wood stove so I'm looking for a fireplace insert. We've always had wood burning stoves and now we cant.
I'm toying with the idea of building my own grate made of pipe with a small blower to blow air thru it. I've seen one before and was amazed at how much heat it put out! Sure, nothing like a wood stove but at least I can salvage some heat out of the fireplace when we have it going. I have access to wood, I want to use it!

The one I saw looked kinda like this.

There are a bunch of makers that make fire place inserts that are UL rated..

And they look better than a Transformer set ablaze...

just sayin..

Old 10-17-2010, 06:32 PM   #49
TALLGUY
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Hearthstone Homestead

This is the stock picture not mine. Ours has black cast and is much deeper in real life than the pic looks. 9 years now with heavy use and excellent service.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:55 PM   #50
Srbenda
Embassy of South Carolina

Oddometer: 11,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft
Great thread! I figured I would add another slant to it though
Been installing these for a few years now with great success...

Its a Garn wood gasification boiler. The concept is pretty easy, you load the fire box with wood and light it, turn on the inducer fan timer and close the door.
Once the fire is lit, the charge starts to burn and when the temps rise, it will re-burn in a secondary burn chamber. The burner is actually immersed in a 1500, 2000, or a 3500 gallon tank of water and the flue gas pipe makes 2 more passes before exiting out the back of the unit. The last one I did was direct vented and during full fire (450,000 BTU), I can put my hand under the exhaust and hold it there You basically fire it until the tank is charged to 190 degrees and then let it burn out. Normally, a once a day firing is all that you'll need but that depends on the type of heating you have in the house, the size and of course the outside temperatures.

http://www.garn.com/index.wml

These boiler are not the old smoky classic outdoor boilers that you see littering the landscape and filling the valleys with smoke
Are these only for commercial use?
It seemed to me that the earth may he borrowed but not bought. It may be used but not owned. It gives itself in response to love and tending.... But we are tenants and not possessors, lovers and not masters.
Srbenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:58 PM   #51
Srbenda
Embassy of South Carolina

Oddometer: 11,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsR100
I dont have anyplace to put a free standing wood stove so I'm looking for a fireplace insert. We've always had wood burning stoves and now we cant.
I'm toying with the idea of building my own grate made of pipe with a small blower to blow air thru it. I've seen one before and was amazed at how much heat it put out! Sure, nothing like a wood stove but at least I can salvage some heat out of the fireplace when we have it going. I have access to wood, I want to use it!

The one I saw looked kinda like this.

There's a guy on eBay that sells those, but at those prices, you are better off to try and find an old used insert with a blower.

With the fireplace, you will burn at least 6 to 8 splits an hour, if not more, and the insert allows you to control that burn much better.
It seemed to me that the earth may he borrowed but not bought. It may be used but not owned. It gives itself in response to love and tending.... But we are tenants and not possessors, lovers and not masters.
Srbenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:14 AM   #52
Going_Commando
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srbenda
Are these only for commercial use?
You can also get residential grade gassification boilers. I think Tarn still makes them, as they were the Cadillac, but there are others. I would love to have one eventually as they are very efficient and allow you to keep your forced hot water heat/hot water setup.
Going_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:16 AM   #53
Going_Commando
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone
*yikes*... free can sometimes be expensive... be careful if there is anything wrong with the stove.. the gaskets going bad being the most dangerous because (A) often you can't see them all & (B) because you can't control the fire once it gets going if you can't control the air flow..

Yeah... we'll be around..
I checked it out on Saturday night and it is decent shape. It is a Hearthstone soapstone, but there is a crack in the soapstone in the front. If I am not mistaken, these stoves are lined with fire brick, correct? I would replace the gaskets anyway, since the graphite rope isn't all that expensive, and a hell of a lot cheaper than actually buying a woodstove. People around here seem to know for the most part what these things are worth, and a used stove in decent shape goes for several hundred bucks.
Going_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:28 AM   #54
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Quote:
You can also get residential grade gassification boilers. I think Tarn still makes them, as they were the Cadillac, but there are others. I would love to have one eventually as they are very efficient and allow you to keep your forced hot water heat/hot water setup.
Yup... Plus the Tarms can come as a dual fuel boiler... so that when the system is calling for heat and there is no wood it will switch over to oil or propane..

The guy whose land we cut our christmas trees on has one... he loves it... but man does it take up some realestate in his basement... I'm guessing his is a much older one though...

But it is pretty cool to get your domestic hot water off it though...
Old 10-18-2010, 05:39 AM   #55
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Quote:
I checked it out on Saturday night and it is decent shape. It is a Hearthstone soapstone, but there is a crack in the soapstone in the front. If I am not mistaken, these stoves are lined with fire brick, correct? I would replace the gaskets anyway, since the graphite rope isn't all that expensive, and a hell of a lot cheaper than actually buying a woodstove. People around here seem to know for the most part what these things are worth, and a used stove in decent shape goes for several hundred bucks.
Hey.. for the price... what are you going to do...

you could always pick up a new plate steel one for a couple hundred bucks... maybe not the fanciest things.. but they are new, UL rated and probably a lot safer than a stove of questionable condition...

that is pretty cheap insurance in my book if you are going to be using the stove for anything more than an occational fire that you are tending... thats just me and my own paranoid self though...

If you do get the free one... You might fire it up outside your house first and see how it runs...
Old 10-18-2010, 05:47 AM   #56
MudWalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft
Great thread! I figured I would add another slant to it though
Been installing these for a few years now with great success...

Its a Garn wood gasification boiler. The concept is pretty easy, you load the fire box with wood and light it, turn on the inducer fan timer and close the door.
Once the fire is lit, the charge starts to burn and when the temps rise, it will re-burn in a secondary burn chamber. The burner is actually immersed in a 1500, 2000, or a 3500 gallon tank of water and the flue gas pipe makes 2 more passes before exiting out the back of the unit. The last one I did was direct vented and during full fire (450,000 BTU), I can put my hand under the exhaust and hold it there You basically fire it until the tank is charged to 190 degrees and then let it burn out. Normally, a once a day firing is all that you'll need but that depends on the type of heating you have in the house, the size and of course the outside temperatures.

http://www.garn.com/index.wml

These boiler are not the old smoky classic outdoor boilers that you see littering the landscape and filling the valleys with smoke
This whole gasification stuff is really cool.......Greenwood in the one I'm lusting after.

You can add insulated water storage to them and depending on weather only need a fire every few days. My basement wants one of these real bad. Only questing is what would I do with the lump of stone up on the 1st floor (Hearthstone). Maybe when I get older.
MudWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:26 AM   #57
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead
I think doing these myself adds to the general satisfaction of heating with wood. Not to sound like some sort of Luddite, but the trip into the countryside to cut firewood, and the (usually) cooperative effort of splitting it really is to me integral to wood stove ownership & operation.
You go right ahead with that. I don't miss splitting and stacking at all.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:30 AM   #58
CruisnGrrl
Two wheels, woot!

Oddometer: 229
I have a drolet savanah. heats the main floor of the house nice.

it has a cat in it and gets my house nice and comfy.

picked up a cord of maple for 200

My RFS Page
CruisnGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:54 AM   #59
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismount
You go right ahead with that. I don't miss splitting and stacking at all.
I'm not proselytizing; I'm explaining.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:56 AM   #60
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl

it has a cat in it...
Perfect place for one.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure