Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,186
What is wood gassification?
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:54 PM   #77
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,279
the idea is to use all of the potential energy in the wood... you basically reburn the gasses that would normally just go up the chimney.. think catalytic converter on roids..

This sums it up pretty good...

http://www.greenwoodusa.com/Article_...sification.php
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:32 AM   #78
Piston
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Glad your happy with your Woodstock Fireview, mine is in the delivery truck now on its way from West Lebanon. I should have it tomorrow when I get home from work.

I read up quite a bit on hearth.com and found that almost everyone is happy with the Fireview and the Woodstock customer service is excellent. I was nervous making the decision to buy but now am happy I did. It only took me 2 yrs to pull the trigger.
Hoping to burn a lot less wood this year.
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:35 AM   #79
Cirrus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofate
The problem with some of those dual fuel furnaces is that the chimney gets creosoted when the damper on the wood fire closes to maintain the temperature set at your wall thermostat. Keep the chimney hot by either burning hot fires for short periods or smaller long term fires with the thermostat set at a higher value. Chimney fires are not fun. If you had one inspect the flue for signs of damage.

Judging from the small amount of wood left behind by the previous owner, he was burning wet wood. Mostly wet fir, which around here, is very sappy. I cleaned a TON of creosote out of both of my chimneys.

It hasn't been cold enough yet to have the wood furnace going, but the oil fires up for about 20 minutes in the morning. Shorter than it would take to get the fire going.

I LOVE that wood heat thou!

And I'm pretty envious of you guys with the oak.. Man that must be nice to burn.
Cirrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #80
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piston
Glad your happy with your Woodstock Fireview, mine is in the delivery truck now on its way from West Lebanon. I should have it tomorrow when I get home from work.

I read up quite a bit on hearth.com and found that almost everyone is happy with the Fireview and the Woodstock customer service is excellent. I was nervous making the decision to buy but now am happy I did. It only took me 2 yrs to pull the trigger.
Hoping to burn a lot less wood this year.

I couldn't be happier with it unless it stacked the wood...

They've got a nice little operation up there... stop by anytime.. the show room is at the factory and they'll take you right through the factory..

The cool part is all the sales guys are the guys that work in the factory.. they all take turns working on the floor..so they know these things inside and out... and are definitely not used car salesmen...

When we picked ours up they had a whole line up of them... we got to pick the one we wanted (as there are slight variations in stone color and character)..

Great process: from the factory to your home.. and you can tell they take pride in their product... that is pretty cool these days..
Old 10-21-2010, 10:32 AM   #81
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

For the record.. I don't have anything to do with Woodstock Soapstone... I don't know anyone that works there, I don't play a stove salesman on TV, I'm not dating the owner's daughter.. nuthin...

I'm just a happy customer that is glad to do business with a nice local business..
Old 11-11-2010, 04:14 PM   #82
Death Dealer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
bump for 6" of snow last night!
1982 Yamaha Maxim - sold
Death Dealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:22 PM   #83
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Yeah ... boi....

We're almost a month into the season...both stove are running right now...

The main stove has been running real nice like since I adjusted one of the internal parts that controls air flow...

No snow yet... but almost ready to put the grade stakes in and put the snow tires on...

I've got a feeling that the snow is going to come early this year.....and I don't think I am the only one...
Old 11-12-2010, 03:11 AM   #84
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone
I've got a feeling that the snow is going to come early this year.....and I don't think I am the only one...
shaddup you!
well- I guess it can come early if it leaves early. Now that we want to pour a foundation I'm sure the ground is gonna stay frozen till June.

Waiting on pricing on a Keystone and Fireview. We'll see what happens...
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:18 AM   #85
Going_Commando
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Damn, you just had to say the S word. I really need to get my free tractor and snowblower here so I can fix it. Have the woodstove, and it is in pretty decent shape, just needs a scuff and a squirt if you know what I mean, and some new rope gasketing. Should have it installed in the next few weeks, and then my oil bill will go down significantly. Just got 220 gallons a couple of weeks ago for $660 . Need more wood!
Going_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:03 AM   #86
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt
shaddup you!
well- I guess it can come early if it leaves early. Now that we want to pour a foundation I'm sure the ground is gonna stay frozen till June.

Waiting on pricing on a Keystone and Fireview. We'll see what happens...
Hey I didn't say I was looking forward to it... I'd be perfectly happy if it just snowed enough to make everything white...

You can pour in sub-freezing temps these days... getting the foundation dug might be a little tough... You guys must have a hydronic ground thaw system at the DPW just in case ...
Old 11-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #87
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,939
Quote:
... You guys must have a hydronic ground thaw system at the DPW just in case ...
Nope.... We just beat the ever-loving shit out of the backhoe
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #88
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt
Nope.... We just beat the ever-loving shit out of the backhoe
Fucking city workers...
Old 11-12-2010, 08:45 PM   #89
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Beautiful stove, Bone.

We run a Jotul Kennebec insert in the fireplace. Keeps our home nice and toasty all winter, for less money than it would cost to keep the house at 64 on gas. We used to scavenge or get a grapple load, and I may get back to that when the kids get to be school age, but the past couple years we just get cut/split dropped. Run 4 cord or so a year.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:49 AM   #90
Bryn1203
Dances with spaniels

Oddometer: 1,809
Quote:
I thought you guys cut down all your trees a long time ago???

I honestly thought you guys mostly burned coal....

Do a lot of people burn wood??...
We have generally lost our connection with wood fuel and southern England is about 3% woodland and most people use oil or gas because its easy just to flip a switrch........but of course dino fuel prices are going up big time.

Most houses have a wood/coal fireplace which most people only use to supplement the oil/gas but now wood is making a come-back. Environmentally friendly - sustainable - relatively cheap.
T
he Europeans have not lost touch with wood fuel like us Brits & they make some pretty good stoves.
Bryn1203 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: