User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-13-2010, 05:44 PM   #91
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,217
I get to go into wood burning mode in about another week and a half or so. Back to the Cabin in CO. I'm looking forward to winter.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:38 PM   #92
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,032
I'll be burning wood more and more often now that winter has set in.

I have a heluva time lighting the stove without filling the house with smoke because of the downdrafts, though, so I might have to add another joint of triple-wall (which I really don't want to do because it'll put the chimney cap so high I won't be able to access it without a bucket truck), or a Monsoon Cap:

I've never been let down by one of these in this windy country.

Actually, now that I think about it I'll get one of these and, if necessary, another joint of pipe.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:30 AM   #93
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone
Fucking city workers...
Well, we could raise water and sewer rates more to afford a ground thawing machine, which takes hours or days to make the ground digable (people don't like to hear "sorry sir, but we can't fix the water line until that machine thaws the ground- might not be ready for two days.") We could also raise taxes more and fund the machine that way. Our department does pretty well because our pay is based on water bills, but we're already being told "Work with what you have." quite a bit when we request a new tool. Right now when we need a torque wrench we have to drive across town to the highway department and borrow theirs because our broke and we can't afford a new one till next year.

I know you were kidding around but I just felt like running my mouth.
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:34 AM   #94
Going_Commando
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt
Well, we could raise water and sewer rates more to afford a ground thawing machine, which takes hours or days to make the ground digable (people don't like to hear "sorry sir, but we can't fix the water line until that machine thaws the ground- might not be ready for two days.") We could also raise taxes more and fund the machine that way. Our department does pretty well because our pay is based on water bills, but we're already being told "Work with what you have." quite a bit when we request a new tool. Right now when we need a torque wrench we have to drive across town to the highway department and borrow theirs because our broke and we can't afford a new one till next year.

Well that is what happens when you use the torque wrench as a hammer.

Our water department has a camera for inspecting pipes and such, and they were checking out a drain to see if it was in decent shape to reuse. Apparently there was an obstruction, because when I got there the water department guy was using the camera to try and bash his way through the crap in the pipe, and then was complaining about the junky equipment they have. He was complaining especially about the little plastic cover on the camera that is taped on because someone broke the original latching system.

Been working away on my woodstove. Really slick Hearthstone. I have about 5 hours into it cleaning up the cast iron with a wire brush in a cordless drill. Would probably be faster to use a wire brush in an angle grinder or something, but there are a lot of tight spots that the drill comes in really handy. She is cleaning up really nice, and it is also letting me fix hinges and stuff as I go along. I am hoping to get it operational in another week or 2, but to clean it up right, and to fix things right it is going to take a little time.
Going_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:53 AM   #95
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,366
Quote:

you're at work typing this aren't you?
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:55 AM   #96
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going_Commando

Been working away on my woodstove. Really slick Hearthstone. I have about 5 hours into it cleaning up the cast iron with a wire brush in a cordless drill. Would probably be faster to use a wire brush in an angle grinder or something, but there are a lot of tight spots that the drill comes in really handy. She is cleaning up really nice, and it is also letting me fix hinges and stuff as I go along. I am hoping to get it operational in another week or 2, but to clean it up right, and to fix things right it is going to take a little time.
Sweet.. this is the one that was free??

Let's see some pics...
Old 11-15-2010, 06:59 AM   #97
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Quote:
Right now when we need a torque wrench we have to drive across town to the highway department and borrow theirs because our broke and we can't afford a new one till next year.
Classic.. I just had to re-read that...

Spend two hours back and forth (requisite stop at DD...both ways of course) to borrow a $75 tool... and then I supposed you have to return it...

So in total you've spend $260 bucks (if you assume your guys cost ~$65/hr which is right in the ball park of acutal with pensions and all)...to borrow a $75 tool...
Old 11-15-2010, 01:51 PM   #98
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,955
Quote:
Classic.. I just had to re-read that...

Spend two hours back and forth (requisite stop at DD...both ways of course) to borrow a $75 tool... and then I supposed you have to return it...

So in total you've spend $260 bucks (if you assume your guys cost ~$65/hr which is right in the ball park of acutal with pensions and all)...to borrow a $75 tool...
You got it! And I feel kinda dumb for that vent because I found out that they ordered us a new torque wrench today.

I should change my user name and start a public works thread. For the most part I'm proud of the work we do, but there are definitely a few things that have room for improvement.

EDIT- NOT TYPING ANY OF THIS FROM WORK LIKE YOU ARE.
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:38 PM   #99
Going_Commando
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Sweet.. this is the one that was free??

Let's see some pics...
I'll snap some tonight. I wish I had taken a "before" shot, since she was pretty rough. I haven't done the door yet, so that should be a good representation of how it looked before.

Hey Adam, if you do a public works thread I can join in now. I am a part time employee for a town that begins with S and ends with pee. I get to play with da Hydro plant there.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:14 PM   #100
Going_Commando
Studly Adventurer

Pitchers

Uh oh bolt:

Safety Sandals:

Old 11-16-2010, 12:06 AM   #101
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,734
A friend of mine has upstairs and downstairs Lopis. He mostly burns hedge, which gives him a nice hot fire.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:07 AM   #102
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Quote:
You got it! And I feel kinda dumb for that vent because I found out that they ordered us a new torque wrench today.
You know I'm just breaking balls..

I think you have a pretty good gig to tell you the truth.. sounds like a good city to work for all things considered..

Quote:

EDIT- NOT TYPING ANY OF THIS FROM WORK LIKE YOU ARE.
Yeah.. heaven forbid you ever work past 2:30...
Old 11-16-2010, 07:10 AM   #103
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going_Commando

Uh oh bolt:

Safety Sandals:

Nice... I like the OSHA approved Jesus-Jumpers....

What are you using for a blasting media?? or are you using brushes and a drill??
Old 11-22-2010, 09:16 AM   #104
Death Dealer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Anyone heating and cooking with wood?

1982 Yamaha Maxim - sold
Death Dealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:01 PM   #105
XPADREX
Funslinger

Oddometer: 7,887

This is the Silent Flame by Long that came with the house.

I have to cut the logs in half, because it's relatively big- but doesn't like logs over 18".

I don't keep it going 24/7- usually only on weekends, and the occasional week day.

We all enjoy it- especially the dogs 'n cats.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: