User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2014, 11:39 AM   #1
punkinhea OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
new '14 adv

picked up my new 14' adv standard and had a few questions.
after riding a while and stop to get fuel,cap has pressure or vacumn when opened.should't the tank be vented.then on the center stand,right side there is a hole in engine case and bracket where maybe a bolt goes.missing?going over washboard roads or bumps the dash front fairing area makes a clack,clanging noise.but could not really find anything loose.
mine did have the battery cable recall,prod date 11/13.had to be ordered.you would think after almost a year this would of been done.
do like bike alot.just put 750 miles this last week and serviced it.all looked good.no oil leaks or anything.anything else to watch for.
thx
punkinhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:58 PM   #2
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,520
Take the rear seat off, there is a canister in there. There are two lines going to it (on one side) one is from the tank the other is from a valve. Either the canister is plugged or the line going to the canister from the tank is plugged. Open the gas cap and take off one of the lines and blow through it, if you can hear the noise in the tank then that is the tank vent and its open so that means the canister is plugged. If you can't hear the noise from blowing in the tank or can't blow through the line try the other line, put the line back on before you go to the next line. If you can't blow through either line then you have to do some investigation, or take it back to the dealer and have them fixe it. The line could be kinked when they assembled the bike or the canister could be filled with gas from the bike being on its side or its just bad, but the best idea is just remove it. Reroute the gas vent line down the side of the bike so fuel will go to the ground and put a small bolt in the other line with a clamp on it. You don't have to take the tank off to do this. The clacking noise could be from the chain slapping on the chain slider or the head bearings being loose. Hold the front break on and rock the bike back and forth do you feel any movement? If so bearings are probably loose.
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM   #3
punkinhea OP
n00b

thanks,will ck the canister and lines
Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM   #4
antirich5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
I had that same question about a bolt missing at the bottom of the motor, while on a long trip. Stopped by a dealer in Santa Barbara and noticed the same missing bolt on their showroom bike.

I believe the dealer said it was for an optional metal skidplate.

Dragonfly Interactive
antirich5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM   #5
punkinhea OP
n00b

thank you,wasn't sure.my dealer could not answer my question.
Old Yesterday, 07:03 PM   #6
Johnny34
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by antirich5 View Post
I had that same question about a bolt missing at the bottom of the motor, while on a long trip. Stopped by a dealer in Santa Barbara and noticed the same missing bolt on their showroom bike.

I believe the dealer said it was for an optional metal skidplate.

This is correct. It's for the KTM skidplate right/rear mount. Not only does it look like something is missing, but on several bikes it's not even threaded. My dealer gave me a heads up about it when I went to pick up my new skidplate. I confirmed that the mount point was not threaded so the dealer put it on his lift and tapped it for free!