ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2014, 09:43 AM   #1
synchro12 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
My sparkplug

Hey guys

Merry Christmas

I took a pic from my rear cylinder spark plug and i would like your opinion

Bike 950 Adventure
155/160
FS: 1.75 F / 2 R turns out
Needle : 2.5 position
Other jets stock
DNa airfilter / Akra with arrestors

Thanks
Attached Images

synchro12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:44 AM   #2
synchro12 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
another one
Attached Images

synchro12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,610
Plug reading is a science that I am not great at, but that looks pretty good to me. Perhaps a little lean. How does it compare to the front cylinder?

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 01:36 PM   #4
jmvance1
Mountain cruiser

Oddometer: 20
I agree with Brent, looks on the light side of tan, so may be a little lean. How does the bike run? If it's popping on decel it is on the lean side for sure. If it runs fine, I wouldn't worry about it. I just did a valve adjustment and changed both of my plugs. They were quite a bit darker than yours, 23,000 miles on them. My bike runs perfectly so I'm not changing anything even tough it might be running a little rich.
jmvance1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 04:09 PM   #5
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,120
Since its a plug thread up I might ask here also if there is a master plug reader around.

Posted pictures in the other thread I have going also but doubt many bother reading it ...its messy and confusing ...like me.

Front plug at 3130 km:

Rear plug at 3130 km:

Bike runs great 2011 990R, CPR filter and map (for 2-1 system but running dual mufflers) since new.

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 04:24 PM   #6
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,879
typical appearance of a late model emissions controlled spark plug in a no lead healthy high compression engine. It it were seriously lean, there would lots of erosion and thinning of the electrodes. Those look just fine.

Rod
ragtoplvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 05:30 PM   #7
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,424
You read a plug at the junction between the metal body and porcelain. where the arrows point.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:27 PM   #8
JoeMongo
¿Por dónde?

Oddometer: 436
donde esta?

So, Synchro, where you be at?

I've noticed that my plugs have gotten leaner looking now that farkin moron legislators protecting their state's farkin corn producers have mandated fermented corn in my gas. Seriously, my plugs have gotten so white over the last several years while my fuel system elastomers all dry out and fail that I expect all of my plugs to look like yours. Otherwise I'd say that you are certainly somewhat lean, but in California that's a standard plug.
J.

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
JoeMongo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:36 PM   #9
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,879
Here you point out something important, different fuels will make different looking plugs.

Remember the old lead days, you had white plugs, even white inside of tail pipes.

Then you had MMT as a lead replacement, it made reddish plugs.

Fuels with lots of sulfur were kind of brownish.

Now without all the sulfur, and with ethanol, they are whitish.

But they stay clean.

Rod
ragtoplvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 10:31 PM   #10
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,255
synchro12.... plugs look lean to me, unless you didn't have many miles on them. Do you run blended fuel?

DirtyADV..... looks normal to me for EFI 990, if your running with the 02s on.
Back in your thread you asked about blueing of your front header, if you still have the stock exhaust thats what mine did when it was new and stock. It would glow at night just at idle warming it up. Your 02s are trying very hard to keep the fuel mix at 14.7-1

Since the discussion of fuels came up some of you might find this info interesting. When i have to run an ethanol blend i can tell that the bike is running much leaner.

Air/Fuel and Lambda
The Stoichiometric AFR value is the AFR multiplier. So for (standard, unblended)
gasoline its 14.7. If you set it to 14.7 the LM-2 display will show 14.7 AFR for Lambda
1.0. If you set it to 6.4 (methanol) the LM-2 will show 6.4 AFR for Lambda 1.0.
You can look at Lambda as the percent of richness. If running Lambda 0.85 (12.5 AFR
for gasoline) you are running 15% rich. For methanol 15% rich means 5.44 AFR. That's
where the value of Lambda comes in. If you run blended fuels where you don't know the
stoich value, you look at Lambda and adjust to 10-20% rich, depending where your max
power is. The % value of richness required by an engine (for max power) does change
relatively little (fairly independent of fuel).
But if for example you adjust an engine
running methanol to 12.5 AFR, you would be running so lean that it would probably not
even run.
The LM-2 can be used to read Air/Fuel Ratio (AFR) or Lambda for an engine. For
gasoline-driven engines, the theoretically optimal air fuel ratio for efficiency is 14.7
pounds of air for every pound of fuel. At this ratio, theoretically, all available oxygen in
the air combines with all available fuel. This ratio is called the stoichiometric ratio.
Stoichiometric for different fuels are as follows:
Gasoline 14.7
LPG (Propane) 15.5
Methanol 6.4
Ethanol 9.0
CNG 17.2
Diesel 14.6

The measurement Lambda is the actual air fuel ratio over the stoichiometric ratio. A
Lambda measurement of “1” equates to the air fuel ratio of 14.7 (for gasoline engines).
When Lambda is less than 1 the engine runs “rich”, i.e., unburned fuel exists in the
exhaust stream. If lambda is greater than 1 the engine runs lean, i.e., free oxygen (02) is
present in the exhaust. Depending on the engine, maximum power is typically delivered
when the engine runs slightly rich (for example at lambda values of 0.8 to 0.9 for most
engines). This instrument provides a means to measure the actual air fuel ratio or
lambda in the engine in operation directly from the exhaust. For this a special wide-band
oxygen sensor is used to measure the lambda value derived from the oxygen content
(or lack thereof) of the exhaust gases.
Old Yesterday, 02:19 AM   #11
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
DirtyADV..... looks normal to me for EFI 990, if your running with the 02s on.
Back in your thread you asked about blueing of your front header, if you still have the stock exhaust thats what mine did when it was new and stock. It would glow at night just at idle warming it up. Your 02s are trying very hard to keep the fuel mix at 14.7-1
O2s are still active and connected, SAS removed and unchecked in TuneECU. Running Wings mufflers.

Less concerned about header heat after doing some comparison with the 950 and a friends 990R that is covered in my other thread.

Thanks for reply.

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote