Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM   #1
peat729 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hi ...

Hi guys and gals,

New to this place, currently own a 450 exc, looking at chopping it in against a 990 adventure, could I pick your brains?

What would you recommend?
What mods are essential ?
What mods would you recommend

Cheers in advance
peat729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM   #2
Dan950ser
NW Shredder

Oddometer: 410
I would recommend searching and reading on the forum and also studying the http://www.ktm950.info . If you want a 990 I'd suggest a 2009+ as the FI was dialed in by then. Lots of different options with these bikes like suspension height and ABS between models so do some homework first.

2014 KTM 250 XC-W
Dan950ser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM   #3
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,420
Originally posted by Roughidle...good stuff!

"With a new riding season for North America quickly approaching, and the hughe influx of noobs with repeat questions (I was totally one of these guys at one point) I figured some back ground info would help. (I hope this is ok to post here, if not my BAD)

When you ask: "what is best" your going to get different answers each time.
Some things are pretty easy to sort out, say which after market clutch slave to buy.

But others such as tires, or pipes, or windshields are much....much more subjective.

When I bought my 950 I tried to soak up as much info from this forum as possible (and the HOW).

While I cannot guarantee the existence of a single individual who is "mr. 9X0" I can say without hesitation that every question you could possible have about one of these bikes has been answered here.

Every thing I have done to my 950, every problem I have encountered, and every solution have come from this forum. I have found out about recalls and issues through the OC that even dealers in my area didn't know about. I cannot understate the value of this resource to a new 9X0 owner.

My advice would be that you sit down with your list of questions and spend some time reading/ searching this forum. There are 9X0 owners here who have wondered the same things you have. So just search, read, and decide for yourself.

You will discover that questions about Tires, Oil, windshields, heated grips, pipes, suspension, and seats have all been covered in great detail, I can promise you that if you write a post that says something like "what is the best oil for my new 990?" or "how to properly break in this bike?" you will get responses from newer members, but those who have been around will just post a link to an existing thread.

When in doubt, and the built in search engine fails you (it will) you can always use google to search a specific site, just type: site: www.advrider.com xxxxx and hit enter. replace the x's with your keyword and POW, results.

Incase you didn't know or realize it, the 9X0's are more the same year to year than they are different. And while suspension travel, and engine output have changed (especially with the addition of Fi) the majority of parts on a brand new 990r will work on a older 950 and the other way around. As such most of the solutions to problems, or modifications you want to make will work across the board. So if you find an answer to a question about oil or tires or the like, and the bike in question in the thread is an 04' 950, chances are the solution found in the thread will work for you.

As suggested above, read, ride, enjoy.

http://3dtrials.org/
Chuckracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM   #4
rean1mator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
What was actually done with the 2009+ 990's to fix the throttle snatch issues? Is this really true? Was away from this forum for a few years after I got rid of my 990S because of the horrendous on off throttle response. Recently picked up a super low mileage 950 ADV which I love but curious as to how well the 2009+ fueling is compared to early 990's

I also had an '08 Superduke R and that thing was 2-3 times worse than the 990 ever was. threw thousands into it with a really good tuner who could not fix it and ended up selling that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan950ser View Post
I would recommend searching and reading on the forum and also studying the http://www.ktm950.info . If you want a 990 I'd suggest a 2009+ as the FI was dialed in by then. Lots of different options with these bikes like suspension height and ABS between models so do some homework first.
rean1mator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM   #5
peat729 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks chaps, looks like I'm going to be busy with a bit of reading
peat729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM   #6
mroddis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
What Chuckracer said

I was a complete noob when I bought my '06 950 3 years ago. EVERYTHING bike related was new to me - this was my very first motorbike....

I spent hours roaming here and the HOW and I continue to read and rely on everyone here. This past winter I replaced the water pump seal - a job that I could have only done with this forum. I now regularly change oil (< 1 hour job), tires, chains, brakes, flush fluids, etc. All this because of the confidence found here.

I still freak out when sounds appear of things do go wrong, but I know that there is a way to fix almost everything with a bit of beer and the internet. So do your research, learn a lot, don't get freaked out when all you read about is the pump seal failing, buy one, then ride the hell out of it.

KTM 9X0 Adv = FUN.

m.