ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2005, 08:41 AM   #151
rightsideup
Get your motor running...

Oddometer: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjemm
And this is down by Cruden Bay. A lovely long, but bloody cold beach.
Bloody cold is right MrJemm! The West coast of Scotland is _much_ warmer than the East (mostly) - perhaps I'll see you over here in the Spring?
Just back from another 150miles on the new 950... I can't find anything that the bike doesn't do extremely well!
rightsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 11:20 AM   #152
BLUE(UK)
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,423
I just hit the 1050mile mark!!(not bad considering i have three bikes.......so rarely get the 950 out due to riding off roading!!)
BLUE(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 01:32 PM   #153
mrjemm
Clumsy Oaf

Oddometer: 350
Wierdly, this winter's been really mild up here. When the rest of Scotland had all that snow the other week, it was fine here.

I was actually considering taking a ride over that way tomorrow afternoon, coming back tuesday, but the weather's gone to shid. Been looking at the maps and thought I could do the Deeside run to Braemar, stop overnight at Pitlochary before heading over to the Trossachs via Loch Tay.

Real bummer though that I still have a cold and the wind and rain have decided to come out in style. Not to forget that I am on nights, so wouldn't get away till early afternoon at best. Think the bikes up for it though, since getting it back last week, it's been chomping at the bit for a decent run.

By the way, what's a nice little town to stop in over that way? Pub & B&B wise?
mrjemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 01:44 PM   #154
BLUE(UK)
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,423
My mate who has been up that way before said that 'apple cross' is a nice place and the only place to stay is 'the apple cross inn'!!
Not certain it's right but thats what he said!!
BLUE(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 02:38 PM   #155
mrjemm
Clumsy Oaf

Must say, Applecross looks nice- just looked it up on the Web, and the Inn has a good reputation, but it's quite a bit further north than I intended to go. That'll be on my next run... No shortage of fine routes up here.

I am so pleased I moved away from Suffolk to Scotland.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:38 PM   #156
rightsideup

Quote:
Must say, Applecross looks nice- just looked it up on the Web, and the Inn has a good reputation, but it's quite a bit further north than I intended to go. That'll be on my next run... No shortage of fine routes up here.

I am so pleased I moved away from Suffolk to Scotland.
Applecross is a great destination and ideal terrain for the 950... I go there at least once a year with my brother. Funnily enough, last time I was there in September we were talking to a guy (on a Triumph) from Aberdeen.
If you've got the time, one of the Calmac 'island hopper' tickets is hard to beat. Try something like this... Barra has the only commercial airport (that I know of) where the runway is a beach. When there aren't any flights (and the tide's out!) it's a great place for speedtesting bikes.
Incidentally, I moved to Scotland from England 16 years ago - that was a good move too!
Old 02-12-2005, 03:40 PM   #157
rightsideup

Quote:
Now to see if I can finally get pictures into this place...

Which topbox is that - KTM?
Old 02-12-2005, 03:46 PM   #158
rightsideup

Quote:
By the way, what's a nice little town to stop in over that way? Pub & B&B wise?
Depends how far you want to travel, you couldn't go too far wrong heading for Ardfern or Kilmartin in Argyll. Nice choice of twisty runs through as well.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:12 PM   #159
mrjemm
Clumsy Oaf

I was actually looking into the Caledonian MacB Island hopping last summer for some Spanish friends, and got to thinking it could be a good one. Maybe this summer.

The box is a Kappa 42L, not bad, but not very waterproof either. Got 2 after a fall last year and a comprehensive insurance claim, so now thinking about seeing if they'd work as panniers with a bit of rack-bodging.

As I'll only make it halfway (possibly Pitlochry) the 1st day (tomorrow afternoon) if I go, I think Ardfern and Kilmartin would leave me with too far to come back on tues, but they may be a good target for lunch. Maybe still a bit far though.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:27 PM   #160
rightsideup

Quote:
As I'll only make it halfway (possibly Pitlochry) the 1st day (tomorrow afternoon) if I go, I think Ardfern and Kilmartin would leave me with too far to come back on tues, but they may be a good target for lunch. Maybe still a bit far though.
You're probably right, too far for just one night. How about Callander or Aberfoyle in the Trossachs? You could head for Balmaha or the Inversnaid Hotel (not stayed there but a nice spot) on the East shore of Loch Lomond - make sure you go to Rob Roy's cave!
Old 02-12-2005, 04:36 PM   #161
mrjemm
Clumsy Oaf

Looking at the map, they look like they could be ideal, cheers, I'll look them up on the net now...
Old 02-12-2005, 11:51 PM   #162
mrjemm
Clumsy Oaf

Looks like this trip is off for now- it's snowing outside and weather reports warn of possible blizzards!!!
Old 02-13-2005, 12:38 PM   #163
rightsideup

Überbike

Quote:
Looks like this trip is off for now- it's snowing outside and weather reports warn of possible blizzards!!!
Really, this was today in the West - I told you it was warmer!

I've now officially decided what the rest of you already knew, the 950 is the Überbike... even the seat isn't too bad!
Old 02-13-2005, 09:00 PM   #164
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103

This is on my ride home from work today.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem screwed with this post 02-13-2005 at 09:26 PM
cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 05:49 AM   #165
mrjemm
Clumsy Oaf

Oooh, this is so frutstrating, for some reason I'm not getting these pictures (assuming there are some to be seen here) and it sounds like I've missed some fine riding over westwards...