Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #13981
Motard_Menace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
initial reaction?

Is that an exhaust or a culvert? Ugly ass windscreen in pursuit of eliminating turbulence?
Cool swingarm. I like the idea of a solo seat like the new Tenere or a GS.
Where's the skid plate going to bolt to? Is there a new luggage system with clips that attach to the bulbs on the backend?
I have a feeling it would look a lot better with a high fender because the beak is so angular...

I'll pass judgement after I see what it looks like ready for dirt
Come on Geek, you know you want that exhaust. I personally hope that bird cage thing on the back is included....
Motard_Menace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:30 AM   #13982
Skinny400
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I swopped Tonto almost two years ago for a Triumph Scrambler. For the last year that I had him, he was mostly standing in the stable waiting for parts... SA KTM support........

The triumph is called Griet.

Check out www.facebook.com/skinnybikerchicken for updates.
Skinny
Skinny400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:55 AM   #13983
japslap
Japslap

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny400 View Post
I swopped Tonto almost two years ago for a Triumph Scrambler. For the last year that I had him, he was mostly standing in the stable waiting for parts... SA KTM support........

The triumph is called Griet.

Check out www.facebook.com/skinnybikerchicken for updates.
Skinny
Hey Skinny what Triumph did you get?.....
japslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:58 AM   #13984
Hochtouren
Improve until broken

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
initial reaction?

Is that an exhaust or a culvert? Ugly ass windscreen in pursuit of eliminating turbulence?
Cool swingarm. I like the idea of a solo seat like the new Tenere or a GS.
Where's the skid plate going to bolt to? Is there a new luggage system with clips that attach to the bulbs on the backend?
I have a feeling it would look a lot better with a high fender because the beak is so angular...

I'll pass judgement after I see what it looks like ready for dirt
Glad I bought when I did...
Hochtouren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:05 AM   #13985
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by STROM-CRF450X-990SMT View Post
I reckon you should make these up and sell them along with some laminated weatherproof instructions. Some of us aren't clever enough with this soft of gear and have no real off-road recovery experience other than swearing and sweating. I would buy one. I reckon a few of my friends would too.
There are a few options out there, and a few threads dedicated to 'em around here somewhere. I didn't like the cheapo northern tool/harbor freight/china block and tackle solution--it's cheap but this is gear that you have to depend on, not hope that it works. Plus the reach is far too short for the country I live in.

Separating the pulleys instead of using double blocks means that you can get both more reach (but shorter pulls between resets) and more MA (mechanical advantage).

The EZ pull from adventure engineering is small and light, and if I was going to buy a prebuilt system, this would be it:

http://www.adventureengineering.com/...oducts/ez-pull

But is only rated for 500 lbs; despite the fact that they show a BMW hanging from a rafter with it, 500lbs is a little too close to the potential "actual pull" that I might need. I've been at the bottom of an embankment looking up....

Also, some very valid points have been made about small rope-diameter vs. hands. Even with gloves, the very-small diameter dyneema/spectra/etc lines can really hurt--the EZ pull, if I remember right, claims a max 5:1 MA, which means (ignoring friction) that you'll pull 100 lbs to get that 500 lbs pull. Go carry 50 lbs aroung hung from some dental floss and let me know how that feels. Add friction loss and it'll be something more than that. The system in the pic can get to 9:1 with a little thought and prep--and, most importantly, practice. Last but not least, many of those lines handle knots very poorly, making it potentially even more difficult to safely set up a high-angle pull or anchor or.... (you didn't think you'd need this where it's EASY, didja?)

I like the (relatively) larger diameter kernmantle ropes with the syneema or similat core and a polyester cover. They handle knots much better than the bare dyneema/etc lines and are easier on the hands. The 4mm in the picture you quoted is rated at a mean breaking strength of ~1300 lbs, which with the figure-8 knots for the loops is probably reduced to somewhere between 1000 and 1150lbs...still twice that of the EZ-pull. It's probably three or four times bulkier, though. The separate pulleys/biners/loops take up a bunch of space relative to the EZ-pull as well.

Just a note--this goes in the top case, always. Wanna bet which side case the bike'll be sitting on when it's over that embankment if you carry this on the side?

I'm not interested in putting these together; you'd be surprised what that kit cost, even with the bargain-basement price on the rope. What I could do, though, is maybe take some pix of various setups and post 'em here with some instructions for ya. Might not be soon, though, it's finally spring and the boss is after me for yardwork.

I've been curious to see if my two kids (8 and 11) can lift the beast with this.

Steve

PS: If you never ride alone, you could do this with fewer pulleys and less MA and more muscle. I'm one of those who does ride alone more often than not (please let's not go there....it's MY choice), and I'm an old, slow, weakling. I need to be able to at least stand a chance of getting the bike back up to the trail, alone. This means I overprepare, but as always, there will be situations that defy any level of preparation.....
Bad decisions make good stories.

Alleycatdad screwed with this post 04-25-2012 at 06:37 AM Reason: Geeze, I type like crap....
Alleycatdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #13986
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,670
Fun commute home today. A perfect 84 degrees dodging the thunderstorms

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #13987
PS-RagE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Quote:
Fun commute home today. A perfect 84 degrees dodging the thunderstorms

http://topgeek.smugmug.com/Adventure...commute-XL.jpg
Nice!

We got a foot of snow this morning

2007 Beta REV3 270
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
PS-RagE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #13988
sfarson
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
Yesterday on the Cedar Mountain Road. From the cell phone...

Old 04-24-2012, 11:39 PM   #13989
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,221
Extemely useful kit info...

A great kit for saving your back and your bike... whether pulling the bike off of the ledge... or staking a line to lift out of a high side layover. I like the option of single handing myself out of a dilemma. I tend to ride solo a lot, which is always great for last minute trips...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycatdad View Post
There are a few options out there, and a few threads dedicated to 'em around here somewhere. I didn't like the cheapo northern tool/harbor freight/china block and tackle solution--it's cheap but this is gear that you have to depend on, not hope that it works. Plus the reach is far too short for the country I live in.

Separating the pulleys instead of using double blocks means that you can get both more reach (but shorter pulls between resets) and more MA (mechanical advantage).

The EZ pull from adventure engineering is small and light, and if I was going to buy a prebuilt system, this would be it:

http://www.adventureengineering.com/...oducts/ez-pull

But is only rated for 500 lbs; despite the fact that they show a BMW hanging from a rafter with it, 500lbs is a little too close to the potential "actual pull" that I might need. I've been at the bottom of an embankment looking up....

Also, some very valid points have been made about small rope-diameter vs. hands. Even with gloves, the very-small diameter dyneema/spectra/etc lines can really hurt--the EZ pull, if I remember right, claims a max 5:1 MA, which means (ignoring friction) that you'll pull 100 lbs to get that 500 lbs pull. Go carry 50 lbs aroung hung from some dental floss and let me know how that feels. Add friction loss and it'll be something more than that. The system in the pic can get to 9:1 with a little thought and prep--and, most importantly, practice. Last but not least, many of those lines handle knots very poorly, making it potentially even more difficult to safely set up a high-angle pull or anchor or.... (you didn't think you'd need this where it's EASY, didja?)

I like the (relatively) larger diameter kernmantle ropes with the syneema or similat dore and a polyester core. They handle knots much better than the bare dyneema/etc lines and are easier on the hands. The 4mm in the picture you quoted is rated at a mean breaking strength of ~1300 lbs, which with the figure-8 knots for the loops is probably reduced to somewhere between 1000 and 1150lbs...still twice that of the EZ-pull. It's probably three or four times bulkier, though. The separate pulleys/biners/loops take up a bunch of space relative to the EZ-pull as well.

Just a note--this goes in the top case, always. Wanna bet which side case the bike'll be sitting on when it's over that embankment if you carry this on the side?

I'm not interested in putting these together; you'd be surprised what that kit cost, even with the bargain-basement price on the rope. What I could do, though, is maybe take some pix of various setups and post 'em here with some instructions for ya. Might not be soon, though, it's finally spring and the boss is after me for yardwork.

I've been curious to see if my two kids (8 and 11) can lift the beast with this.

Steve

PS: If you never ride alone, you could do this with fewer pulleys and less MA and more muscle. I'm one of those who does ride alone more often than not (please let's not go there....it's MY choice), and I'm an old, slow, weakling. I need to be able to at least stand a chance of getting the bike back up to the trail, alone. This means I overprepare, but as always, there will be situations that defy any level of preparation.....
Old 04-25-2012, 01:23 AM   #13990
boulder
jersey boy

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarson View Post
Yesterday on the Cedar Mountain Road. From the cell phone...

Great pics, looks like great riding too!!
Old 04-25-2012, 07:36 AM   #13991
vspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Snagged this one yesterday. A new 2011, leftover from last year I guess.

More photos I took this morning.

Had to get a few pics now 'cause she'll never be this clean again. Gonna go hit some local back roads and gravel today.
vspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:49 PM   #13992
Hochtouren
Improve until broken

Oddometer: 150
Brace yourself vspeed - buying it was the cheap part. This site is so full of experience and good ideas, the money will fly out of your wallet as if by magic. Can you say "Paypal"? Have fun - great bike.
Hochtouren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:49 PM   #13993
Nature
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Dave... these are rather beautiful photo's mate! Good on you man...
Old 04-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #13994
Nature
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post

I haven't ridden in weeks due to a minor knee surgery, but I felt well enough for some easy riding on Sunday.
So I headed out onto the Apache Trail.

My 2008 990 Adventure loves to pose.

Yeah, but it's all washboard...

Then the sunset happened.

Good Night!
Quote:
Wow that's a beautiful photo. Would you have it in 2560x1600 so I can make it a wallpaper?

Geek... your right! This is a really beautiful photo. Simply stated...
Old 04-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #13995
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,332
Awesome pictures!
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote