User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2014, 07:12 PM   #1
Dadayama OP
Constant Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
2 Up on the OAT, Western Half

Last weekend i rode the western half of the Oklahoma Adventure Trail (OAT) with my 12yr old son.

Oklahoma Adventure Trail Official ADV Page Link

OAT FaceBook Page Link

OAT about Me Page Link

I just kind of mentioned it to the wife, "wouldn't be cool if i loaded up the kid and we went on a weekend motorcycle camping adventure", the next thing i know my wife is asking the kid if he wants to go.... He was excited and I had less then a week to prepare...

Left work on friday afterwork (was stuck staying late in a meeting) to head to Mt. Scott, in south central Oklahoma by Fort Sill, to camp with the goal of completing the four main sections of the western half of the route.

Mount Scott info

[IMG]Map Scott to Mangum[/IMG]
Dadayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:20 PM   #2
Dadayama OP
Constant Adventurer

Here i am getting the little nerd suited up. When i it is all said and done he reminds me of a storm trooper.

[IMG]OAT 1[/IMG]

It's 98 degrees but neither the kid or I are complaining...

OAT 2

Last minute pep talk between two storm troopers.

[IMG]OAT 3[/IMG]

OK... maybe we are both a little nerdy

[IMG]OAT 4[/IMG]

Finally we are off on our way....!!!

[IMG]OAT 5[/IMG]
Old 07-15-2014, 07:38 PM   #3
Dadayama OP
Constant Adventurer

Our adventure starts at Mount Scott, which is very big in hill in Oklahoma. So we super slabbed it down south from the city before they closed off the park. We arrived at 8:30 PM... that was a big deal because they don't open up the hill until 9 am in the morning and we hope to be on the road by then.

[IMG]OAT 6[/IMG]

I took this pic because i wanted to show the full moon rising. Camping with a full moon it turns out is like setting up your tent under a street light....

[IMG]OAT 7[/IMG]

The first night we camped at the Doris Campground in the Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge.

The campground is a nice organized quiet campground that doesn't allow alcohol of any kind.

[IMG]OAT 8[/IMG]

[IMG]OAT 9[/IMG]
Old 07-15-2014, 07:47 PM   #4
Dadayama OP
Constant Adventurer

The wild life refuge is actually a very cool place, both scenic and interesting. They have a heard of long horns and buffalo that roam the place fence free. We saw a buffalo on the way to the campground but it was getting dark.

The following pictures in no way capture the full on beauty of the area... If you have never been you should visit and if you ride the OAT you should plan on exploring the area.

[IMG]OAT 10[/IMG]

[IMG]OAT 11[/IMG]

[IMG]OAT 12[/IMG]

[IMG]OAT 13[/IMG]

[IMG]OAT 14[/IMG]
Old 07-15-2014, 08:03 PM   #5
Dadayama OP
Constant Adventurer

The western half of the OAT has a very western feel... very much like being in an old cowboy movie with rugged terrain and big vistas

So after a short but scenic paved ride, the back roads begin.

[IMG]OAT 15[/IMG]

The kid hamming it up!

[IMG]OAT 16[/IMG]

The first part of the trip i was so nervous with the kid on back i think i didn't go about 30 mph.... i loosened up as time went on...

[IMG]OAT 17[/IMG]

This sandy area is just north of Lake Altus...

[IMG]OAT 18[/IMG]

The kid wanted to take a picture of me... just after this picture was taken the bike got stuck in the sand when the back tire dug down, no big deal just took a minute to dig it out enough....

[IMG]OAT 19[/IMG]

When we made it to Mangum Oklahoma, the place i was planning on eating at didn't serve food on the weekend... we found a Subway in gas station but nowhere to sit... we ended up at this abandon drive through with lots of shade... The kid was unfazed

[IMG]OAT 20[/IMG]

Dadayama screwed with this post 07-15-2014 at 10:21 PM
Old 07-15-2014, 08:14 PM   #6
GP MX Fan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
I'm in. I've logged many miles around Mt Scott....

2002 Heritage Softail Classic
1998 Honda CR250
1983 OSSA 303 Trials
and some other odds and ends...
GP MX Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:15 PM   #7
Dadayama OP
Constant Adventurer

Where the Hoot Owls mate with the Rattle Snakes!!!

The next section is from Mangum to Sayre Oklahoma. It just might be one of my favorite parts of the OAT. South West Oklahoma and the SW OAT is way, way underrated... it is a dual sport paradise! Really it was so much fun, and if nothing else very challenging. You are definitely out in the boonies, I mean there is nothing out there, it is AWSOME!

[IMG]Mangum to Sayre[/IMG]

[IMG]OAT 21[/IMG]

The dry river crossing of the Salt Fork of the Red River. Oh and let the sand begin!

[IMG]OAT 22[/IMG]

[IMG]OAT 23[/IMG]

Dadayama screwed with this post 07-15-2014 at 08:38 PM
Old 07-15-2014, 08:27 PM   #8
Dadayama OP
Constant Adventurer

The Sand Begins

Ok... so you have to cross over the Salt Fork of the Red River twice on this part of the OAT... looking back i have to wonder if it would have been easer to ride up the dry river bottom then what lay between.

Remember i don't have much experience the two up riding. My son has ridden a bunch on the back of the bike but mostly on little short trips around town running errands or goofing off.

Riding two up in the sand was really tough for me, i found it really hard to control the bike. Only one time did i have him get off and walk when i could see the road getting better a hundred foot ahead and a big ass sand pit to cross to get there.

Starts out looking like this after the river, but don't let all the sand talk scare you off, if i was riding solo it would have been a piece of cake.

[IMG]OAT 24[/IMG]

The second Salt Fork crossing...

[IMG]OAT 25[/IMG]

[IMG]OAT 26[/IMG]

Look at the color contrast of the red dirt road and the blond sand, in real life it was very dramatic.

[IMG]OAT 27[/IMG]
Old 07-15-2014, 08:28 PM   #9
Dadayama OP
Constant Adventurer

OH YA BABY!!!! Oklahoma Red DIRT galore!!!!!! or is that sand?

[IMG]OAT 28[/IMG]
Old 07-15-2014, 08:36 PM   #10
Dadayama OP
Constant Adventurer

Another one of my favorite sections

This section is one of my favorite sections of the western half of the OAT. I believe it is Oklahoma Wildlife Management land... and my pictures do not do it justice... pure rugged beauty!

[IMG]OAT 29[/IMG]

[IMG]OAT 30[/IMG]

[IMG]OAT 31[/IMG]

So excited i took a selfie

[IMG]OAT 32[/IMG]

A salty creek, was as bewildering as it is beautiful.

[IMG]OAT 33[/IMG]

[IMG]OAT 34[/IMG]
Old 07-15-2014, 08:54 PM   #11
Dadayama OP
Constant Adventurer

I don't know about you, but when i get on a bike the stress of my two jobs and the struggles of trying to make it in this world just melt away, when i get out into the country. I love it.

[IMG]OAT 35[/IMG]

Only half a day and my shinny side cases are covered in grasshopper guts!

[IMG]OAT 36[/IMG]

We crossed so many cattle guards i lost count a long time ago. If you look into the distance you will see a dried up lake on the left and a damn on the right. We crossed a couple of these... the first one we crossed over i didn't know what it was because the lake part was green with vegetation. What was odd was all of a sudden you are up high in the air looking down on both sides...

[IMG]OAT 38[/IMG]

see the sign on the left... a little road side humor!!!

[IMG]OAT 39[/IMG]

[IMG]OAT 40[/IMG]
Old 07-15-2014, 09:07 PM   #12
Dadayama OP
Constant Adventurer

Remember the western theme... lots of cows from beginning to end... sometimes they were in the middle of the road (but moved before i take a picture) or sometimes they were on the side... sometimes they were running wild where on the wrong side of the fence.

We had more cow passing events then people passed on the whole trip. Only passed two or three people on the back roads, none city parts of the trip.

[IMG]OAT 41[/IMG]

Where you see these, you want to stay away... these mean there is going to be new, deep, nasty gravel... These windmills where not technically on the OAT. At this point it is getting latter in the day, and we had past Sayre and where heading over to Foss Lake to camp for the night, I think we headed straight east down some gravel roads and such from Black Kettle National Grasslands, which where the cows where in the last picture.

[IMG]OAT 42[/IMG]

At Foss Lake... The water was a murky brown green but the people where out full force boating and skiing and drinking etc... i didn't take any pictures of them... i should have... anyway... the water was cold and the tempature was hot, we both ended up chin deep in this lake and by the time the sun set and we made our way back to the campground we were cooled off (actually kind of cold).

[IMG]OAT 43[/IMG]

A little bit like camping in a city park but it worked.

[IMG]OAT 44[/IMG]
Old 07-15-2014, 09:17 PM   #13
Dadayama OP
Constant Adventurer

Sayre to Seiling

After camping at Foss Lake, we made our way back to the OAT and continued on with the next leg...

[IMG]Sayre to Seiling[/IMG]

This section ... I have two thoughts. One, this part of the trip was very much about rolling hills, and two, this section is very much when you think you are getting bored the route changes. Really, your going along and thinking OK now for the boring part, and then BAM!!!! something changes... either the scenery becomes really cool, or the road get challenging... always something though....

Rolling hills

[IMG]OAT 45[/IMG]

[IMG]OAT 46[/IMG]

[IMG]OAT 47[/IMG]

[IMG]OAT 48[/IMG]

The kid was trying to take a pic of what looked like we were riding through a farmers field but was really a county road... We didn't have the camera set up correctly... we'll know next time.

[IMG]OAT 49[/IMG]
Old 07-15-2014, 09:34 PM   #14
Dadayama OP
Constant Adventurer

Made it to Seiling... in HOG HEAVEN at a country cafe sunday all you can eat buffet... yes that is ribs, fried catfish and fried chicken!!!! Felt kinda funny being in there sweaty and dirty in moto gear with all these country folks in their sunday best. The saving grace is there were a number of oil field worker types in there also....

[IMG]OAT 50[/IMG]

The last Leg of the trip... Seiling to the Great Salt Plain another link

[IMG]Seiling to Salt Plains[/IMG]

This is south part of the mesa range that the famous Gloss Mountain State Park is a part of.

They call it Gloss Mountain because going back before statehood that is what the locals called it... it really is small red dirt mesa full of glossy little crystals... If you ride the OAT you have to stop and climb to the top.... no you have to... and if you are an Okie and have not visited this little state park and climbed up those crazy ass hand built rickety stairs to the top for it's glorious views... stop what the heck you are doing and get your ass there... SUPER COOL!!!!!!! a great day trip.

[IMG]OAT 51[/IMG]

Parents should be shot for doing this to their kids... "ok, now smile"

[IMG]OAT 52[/IMG]
Old 07-15-2014, 09:39 PM   #15
Dadayama OP
Constant Adventurer

Almost there!!!

Just when you thought it was safe... you are in the home stretch...

Your darling friend sand come popping up. Actually there were patches of sand though out this western section. Really though, it was not that big of a deal, we rode through it all two up.

Notice i'm on the shoulder, for what ever reason, i found a firm spot on the very edge of the road where i could by pass the deep pits my kid is standing in. Notice his feet are sunk down in the sand.

[IMG]OAT 53[/IMG]

[IMG]OAT 54[/IMG]

Dadayama screwed with this post 07-15-2014 at 10:31 PM