Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2011, 05:39 PM   #181
trav72
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 872
That's not true. I just got a ticket a month ago going 57 in a 45 by the least friendly female ranger I've ever had the 'pleasure' of meeting. Anyway, it had to paid within 30 days not 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
since it is a federal highway speeding fines must be paid within 7 days.... Ask me how I know.
trav72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #182
Nightfall
Disco-Trash

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3/T4 Hybrid View Post
Im glad to see that the weather on your trip of the Parkway was better than mine in late Sept.
I'll take what you rode in any day of the week, throw some light fog and nice chilly or cold weather in and I'm happy, sunshine get's old for me ... really quick.
Nightfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:24 AM   #183
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,244
I thought I'd share what an observant friend of mine had to relate regarding riding the BRP, since I know many people are perusing this thread to learn more about riding it prior to embarking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN View Post
Try to stick to 55mph or below (especially around Roanoke). Stopping for a few minutes to get some space between the slow RV and you is worth the fresh air and mind clearing. PS - you will most likely find your best recorded mpg on the BRP...I have on a number of bikes.

Stop often and start riding early.

Bring reliable rain gear.

Plan out your fuel stops and find some of the many valuable online maps (or printed) with the fuel locations.

Stop for a slice of pie at Tuggles Gap

Hit 129 when you get to the southern end if you feel like it, otherwise there are many awesome roads down there worth checking like Hellbender and Moonshiner.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:09 PM   #184
Bocephous
Bitter Clinger

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by trav72 View Post
That's not true. I just got a ticket a month ago going 57 in a 45 by the least friendly female ranger I've ever had the 'pleasure' of meeting.
I think I may have met the same officer.

I visited the BRP about a month ago. Early on (in Virginia) I checked my mirror and noted I was being tailgated by a white vehicle. I was probably doing around 55mph. I couldn't tell what kind of vehicle it was so I flicked on my right turn signal, pulled to the right side of the lane and waved them by.

Then the blue lights came on.

Youngish female officer (Officer Biatch if I remember correctly) jumped out of her car after I pulled over and started screaming something about how it would have been my fault if she had actually passed me and hit an oncoming vehicle. Told her I was sorry and asked if she wanted to see my license to which she responed "NO!" and got back in her car.

Galatians 6:14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.
Bocephous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #185
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,673
Wowser sounds like a real bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocephous View Post
I think I may have met the same officer.

I visited the BRP about a month ago. Early on (in Virginia) I checked my mirror and noted I was being tailgated by a white vehicle. I was probably doing around 55mph. I couldn't tell what kind of vehicle it was so I flicked on my right turn signal, pulled to the right side of the lane and waved them by.

Then the blue lights came on.

Youngish female officer (Officer Biatch if I remember correctly) jumped out of her car after I pulled over and started screaming something about how it would have been my fault if she had actually passed me and hit an oncoming vehicle. Told her I was sorry and asked if she wanted to see my license to which she responed "NO!" and got back in her car.
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:23 AM   #186
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

As silly as that may have been, the bottom line is I'd rather have 'em bitch me out and let me go than to be sweet as sugar and hand me a fat ticket!

I've been let go for triple digits in a 55
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 07-26-2011, 06:46 PM   #187
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 4,626
enjoyed this taking the wife in sept north to south

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:48 PM   #188
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by red bud View Post
enjoyed this taking the wife in sept north to south
North to South the best way if you have to choose IMHO.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:58 AM   #189
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 4,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
North to South the best way if you have to choose IMHO.
i'm thinking that way if she tired of riding by the end of the trip we'll be closer to home plus if we mess around and don't finish it'll be easy to get to later.

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:05 AM   #190
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,269
The BRP is my all time favorite motorcycle road, there is something so zen-like about the combination of the natural beauty, the continuous curves and the seemingly endless ribbon of twisty asphalt. I have found that it is most enjoyable when the kids are in school as the traffic really lightens up then compared to the summer. On a fast bike, it is very hard to keep the speed down, but on a bike that is fun at slower speeds, it is motorcycling nirvana. Here is a pic from one of my many rides on the BRP.

"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #191
fabio222
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Some absolutely stunning pictures there! I really enjoyed flicking through the thread to see them and also to read some of the comments as well. I hope to ride the BRP someday myself because a good friend of mine who lives in Boone NC put me up for a few days while I was over from Ireland traveling along the East Coast and down South. She drove us up into the mountains and it is was stunningly beautiful...and the road was nice and twisty so my immediate thought was "gotta come back here on a bike someday".
fabio222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:11 PM   #192
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

That's really cool, fabio222, coming from Ireland to ride our roads!
I would think normally we'd be the ones wanting to ride your country!
Hope you get the chance to come and ride here, enjoy yourself, and ride safe. If you need anything up near the north end just give a shout and I'll see what I can do. Would be honored to ride a piece with ya!
Cheers!
Old 07-28-2011, 05:05 PM   #193
longslowdistance
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
I didn't see one radar trap the entire 938 miles I was on the parkway.
Just a note of caution: speed traps do exist from time to time on the BRP, e.g. around Price park and grandfather, and it's a federal offense.

This could be renamed the Blue Ridge Parkway Love thread. Late April is another good time to ride: not too cold, lots of blooms, leaves still off the trees at higher elevation so the views are even more plentiful, very little car traffic, and fun but technically undemanding, sweeeeet. As was posted earlier, a zen experience.
longslowdistance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:03 AM   #194
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer

I won't be able to make a BRP trip this year due to taking 2 weeks off to ride out west and see a few of the national parks.
Even with over 5000 miles and seeing many states I had never been in before I still will miss my annual parkway pilgrimage.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:44 AM   #195
steveb126
Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkyGuy View Post
The food at Otter Creek wayside is rotten, around the corner just outside of Big Island there is a diner at the (BP?) gas station, it aint much to look at but the food is great... fried chicken too.

+1, found it by accident, had breakfast and gassed up there after breaking breaking camp at Otter Creek.