User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
FJR_ski OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Questions about Nunavut

I live in Chicago, last year I visited Alaska and it was truly an amazing experiance.

In 2011, I would like to visit more of Canada. I own a Yamaha FJR and was wondering if it manageble to ride to Nunavut area, how are the roads up in Nunavut and to there from Chicago?
FJR_ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
OldSilverFox
Let's Go!

Oddometer: 393
Roads In Nunavut ???

There aren't any.
The farthest north on a paved road in Ontario is to Pickle Lake and then about 200km further on gravel to Windigo Lake. In Quebec you can get as far as James Bay but still short of Nunavut. I think the Trans Lab may take you to about the same latitude north but still a far cry from Nunavut. The furthest north you can get is in the Northwest Territories to Inuvik unless you wait for the ice highway and go to Tuktoyaktuk.
I think Prudhome Bay in Alaska is a little further north but that is in USA.
OldSilverFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:54 PM   #3
FJR_ski OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the reply.

I'm just looking for a great place to visit in Canada. I loved Alaska, the roads, hiking, it was great. I was hoping to find something similar in Canada.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:12 PM   #4
2Ply
n00b - LOL

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJR_ski
Thanks for the reply.

I'm just looking for a great place to visit in Canada. I loved Alaska, the roads, hiking, it was great. I was hoping to find something similar in Canada.
I just returned from Iqaluit, Nunavut last week. Surprised to see that anyone else even knows about that area. And as mentioned, there ARE no roads up there except in the villages. Everyone waits for Winter to visit the other villages by snowmobile.

However, if anyone here knows "Frostbite", otherwise known as "40belowbiker" on You Tube, he may be the only person up that way riding off-road motorcycles. He has recently switched to riding a Gas Gas Trials Bike and now can get around in the Summer to places that were too difficult on his 450 Yamaha.

And since last week, I might just be the second person ever to ride cross-country through the Tundra and rock slabs ups there... It's Trials Heaven as long as you ride when the bugs are not flying.. Had a great time!

The photos below were from October 2.

And

2Ply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:02 AM   #5
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,641
Quote:
Go ride the Trans-Labrador Highway before they get too far with paving it. I wouldn't take the FJR though.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:15 AM   #6
OldSilverFox
Let's Go!

Oddometer: 393
FJR_ski
There are lots of wonderful places to ride in Canada. Deciding where to go is probably the hardest. From Chicago on an FJR I would suggest a trip up and around Lake Superior. Loop up through the west side to Thunder Bay over the top of Superior and down the east side of Lake Michigan. The roads are great and the scenery wonderful. Lots of places to stop for rests, food, and accomodation.
OldSilverFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:28 AM   #7
FJR_ski OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Your suggestion is great. Thank you. How about the Maine, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, NewFoundland? Anyone been there?
Old 10-15-2010, 02:06 PM   #8
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Your suggestion is great. Thank you. How about the Maine, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, NewFoundland? Anyone been there?
Yes. Check out the two Trans-Labrador/Newfoundland ride reports linked in my sig (below).

--mark

Old 10-15-2010, 08:17 PM   #9
FJR_ski OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Here are some questions. Since I own a FJR, Im looking for quality roads/paved.

So, here is my plan, let me know what you think and if the roads are paved.

Chicago to Baie Comeau
Baie-Comeau North on 389 to Labrador City which turns to 500 to Happy Valley-Goose Bay,take ferry to Cartwright (510) to L'Anse-Au-Clair take ferry to St. Barbe (430) to Deer Lake (1) ride (1) in NewFoundland and Labrador and ferry to Nova Scotia.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:56 PM   #10
bobrestore
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
You can pick up the Dempster Highway in Dawson YT and take it all the way to Inuvik in Northwest Territories.
bobrestore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:34 AM   #11
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Here are some questions. Since I own a FJR, Im looking for quality roads/paved.

So, here is my plan, let me know what you think and if the roads are paved.

Chicago to Baie Comeau
Baie-Comeau North on 389 to Labrador City which turns to 500 to Happy Valley-Goose Bay,take ferry to Cartwright (510) to L'Anse-Au-Clair take ferry to St. Barbe (430) to Deer Lake (1) ride (1) in NewFoundland and Labrador and ferry to Nova Scotia.
389 is only paved up to Manic 5. Then it's 400+ miles of loose gravel to Happy Valley-Goose Bay, with a few relatively short sections of pavement interspersed totaling another 150 miles or so. For that matter, the pavement from Baie-Comeau to Manic 5 is hardly what I'd call "quality." It's rough, potholed, and frost-heaved.

Cartwright to Blanc-Sablon is another 200 miles of gravel plus 50ish miles of rough pavement.

Also, don't waste your time on Highway 1 in Newfoundland except to connect secondary roads -- the good riding is on the smaller roads along the coast and bays and heading up the northern peninsula.

Given the bike you're on, I'd suggest taking the ferry from Baie-Comeau to Matane, riding around the Gaspé peninsula, then heading over to Cape Breton and taking the ferry from there up to Newfoundland.

--mark

Old 10-18-2010, 07:48 PM   #12
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,715
There's a guy in Cambridge Bay with a Ural I met up there. And when I was in Taloyoak (as far north as you can go and still be on the continental mainland and not an island) a few years ago there were a few dirt bikes there that kids would zip around town and out on the Land with.

But riding up there? Not going to happen.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #13
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 679
Thumb The Screech-In: "'Deed I is me ol' cock, and long may your big jib draw."

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJR_ski View Post
I live in Chicago, last year I visited Alaska and it was truly an amazing experiance.

In 2011, I would like to visit more of Canada. I own a Yamaha FJR and was wondering if it manageble to ride to Nunavut area, how are the roads up in Nunavut and to there from Chicago?

FJR_ski,

I am wondering if you ever did make the trip?

(To NFLD, not Nunavut :)

If you scooted east to the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton, one of the worlds most scenic roads, and then

explored NFLD, a kind of Irish-Canadian hybrid w/ some of the best people

and honest, down-home, honest-to-goodness partying on the entire planet, you can't go wrong.

Be sure to smuggle some screech home to Chicago, continuing an age old tradition...

(TBH, I'd advise going through the US to,Halifax, as the Canadian side is predominantly the Trans-Canada,

which is a hell of a lot less glamorous than it sounds.

Of course, you may prefer to make time, rather than meet people for that portion of the trip.)

Investigate visas and ferries to St. Pierre and Miquelon, a couple of tiny French (as in France, not Quebec)

islands, and I'd say you'd have a pretty epic journey on your hands.

Not as remote as Alaska, but pretty damned awesome in its own way.

Let us know how your '11 tour went!

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote