ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 02:41 AM   #31
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,223
Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzmovies View Post
I've been checking out different options for my iPhone as a GPS and this thread covers most of the questions I had.

One more: I've got a powerlet socket + a cigarette lighter adapter which would allow me to use the iPhone car charger as a power source while on the bike. Are there any other options for connecting the phone to, say, the battery? I only have one socket & usually use it for heated gear.
There are some good options. The elegant (but expensive) solution is to buy this harness from Powerlet: http://www.powerlet.com/product/appl...ry-harness/421 It does exactly what you want.

Another is to make something yourself. I had an extra cigarette-lighter USB adapter lying around. I would like to be able to recharge my Cardo Scala G4 Bluetooth gizmo on the bike. It uses a micro-USB connector, but it is same principle as the iPhone charging. I canibalized the tiny circuit board inside, added some power leads, and potted it in a little plastic box:

I potted in the USB>microUSB wire, but could have used an iPhone power cord just as easily. Now I will wire this into an open circuit on my fuse block.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #32
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcc View Post
It will keep it in place with rotation lock yes. But restrict you from using landscape option.
What model iPhone do you have? I had an iPhone 3G, and upgraded to an iPhone 4. The 3G would auto-rotate all the freaking time and drive me mad, while the iPhone 4 only does it once an hour or so, usually while parking the bike or overtaking someone at warp speed. And it always goes back to the proper orientation after half a second.

Mind you, I mostly use Motion X GPS which doesn't have any rotation at all. So my observation only comes from occasional use of other software.

Quote:
Quote:
The major weaknesses for motorcycle users on a ride with the iPhone (or any capacitive touch screen device) is the lack of physical buttons
That, plus the ruggedness of the iPhone. I'm on a dual sport right now (duh, it's advrider) and expect to go down in the dirt from time to time. I don't think the iPhone will take the impact well, and I don't want to lose both my GPS and phone access if I can avoid it. That's why I usually ride with my GPS up front and my iPhone in a bag/box/pocket.
With the touch screen, it depends on what gloves you have and what mount you have. RAM claims their screen makes the iPhone completely unusable, but it works fine with with cheap third party water proof mounts. For gloves... my wet weather gloves don't work at all, the thin light ones I wear for summer commuting work perfectly, while the in between gloves I normally wear are problematic, sometimes I have to press the buttons a second or third time (especially when it's also behind the mount's waterproof screen.

As for rugged... I've crashed my bike many times while the iPhone is in it's mount (which is a dodgy gym armband + zip ties. I just bought a proper mount that offers good protection but have not used it yet) and the iPhone is undamaged even when I've come out of it in pretty bad shape. It also *usually* comes out ok after an encounter with water. Mine has handled occasional use in rain when I couldn't avoid it, just try not to let too much water get into the headphone and charging ports and speakers (the touch screen will get confused when your fingers are wet, but it's glass and you can just dry it off). Friends of mine have done stuff like drop their phone in a full coffee cup. Usually it comes out unscathed, sometimes it needed to be repaired. Don't know anyone who's had to replace their phone due to water, but it obviously could happen to you.

It's a bit of a shame no-one is putting in the extra effort to make their products more rugged and water resistant. If you can do it with a watch, why not a phone? Also, companies have demo'd technology to make electronics 100% water proof. I've seen youtube videos of iPhone's being used for hours while sitting in the bottom of a fish tank with no case, but none of these products are available yet (it was some kind of silicon type protection that they spray on the internal components of the phone, nothing on the outside needs protecting - it's all just glass and aluminium).

I'm told apple has technology in the phone which will record water, extreme temperatures or humidity and sudden impacts even when the phone is turned off. Any of these will void your warranty. But in general, it is very well built from strong rigid materials with zero moving parts, and non-water proof but tight seals that prevent water from getting to the sensitive parts. Your home and contents insurance, or even your phone company, may cover accidental damage of your iPhone as well. I have protection from accidental damage/loss/theft for $8/month.

abhibeckert screwed with this post 01-11-2011 at 04:39 PM
abhibeckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #33
bairesman
Road warrior

Oddometer: 230
Hi there,
Like many of you I would like to try the Iphone as my GPS, problem is I live in Buenos Aires and we only have a single reliable (still in the works) map source and that is proyectomapear.com.ar (free source of GPS maps of Argentina) They support both Garmin and TomTom GPS devices. Is there any Iphone app that will allow me to use any of these maps, I mean being able to upload these maps as they get updated?
Thanks much,
Martin
bairesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #34
lilmonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
...and for those of you who would like to solve the controlling your capacitive touch/iphone screens...

http://www.quirky.com/products/37-Di...ive-Glove-Pins

I've been using them this winter and they do work. They are smaller in person than the pictures lead you to believe. Basically a small pinhole and you're in business. I have been using just the index, found the thumbs to be a bit clunky.

Use a bit of threadlocker to keep them on.
Awesome.

Previous:
2010 BMW F650GS 1989 Honda Transalp 1989 Honda Hawk NT650 1980 Honda Hawk CB400
lilmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:10 AM   #35
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmonkey View Post
...and for those of you who would like to solve the controlling your capacitive touch/iphone screens...

I've been using them this winter and they do work. They are smaller in person than the pictures lead you to believe. Basically a small pinhole and you're in business. I have been using just the index, found the thumbs to be a bit clunky.

Awesome.
Nice find!
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:31 AM   #36
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,543
I heard aluminum foil works but I've never tried it, my regular old riding gloves have leather that wraps around the tips of my fingers and it works fine with the touch screen.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:01 PM   #37
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmonkey View Post

Awesome.
Guys, you don't even need to do that. Go to a local craft/fabric store, and get some metallic thread. Stitch a star or asterisk shape into your first finger and thumb. Voila. You don't have to take off your gloves to manipulate your iphone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamick View Post
You strategically place a billboard of boobs on the outside of a turn and I'd ride my motorcycle off a cliff.
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #38
moulin6801
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Hey, how about no signal on the phone, you are out of the GPS.... I have both installed on my handle bar, sometimes I even use the iPhone map as a back up/2nd source, but the GPS is the one that never fails. Besides, if you get a phone call, than you can't use the GPS, and that may be in a dire moment..
Cheers.
moulin6801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:06 PM   #39
nanotech9
** Slidewayz **

Oddometer: 1,435
I usually wear thin MX gloves on my bikes... I velcro the phone to the tank to play tunes etc. I usually just lick the leather on my glove finger and it works great to run the iphone... sucks in the cold, but otherwise, its good.
'04 KTM 525 EXC
'02 YAMAHA TTR 125
'99 KTM 50 ADV
'86 KTM 250 2-smoker resto-project
nanotech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:15 AM   #40
earthmuffin
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 70
My iphone completely saved our OBDR trip summer before last. Rolled up to the first forest service road, fired up the 60csx and realized that there had been an error loading the tracks. Luckily I had backed the tracks up into MotionX GPS and predownloaded the maps for the route. We did over 800 miles on gravel over the next 7 days and the iphone was our only navigation source.

I did fight overheating in the middle of the day.
Bottom line, it works but its not optimum. I would choose a dedicated GPS any day, but the iphone serves as a great backup and I'm glad we had it. Personally, though, I rather let my iphone snap some great pics and vids along the way and call my wife every once in awhile to let her know I'm still alive.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:26 AM   #41
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by moulin6801 View Post
Hey, how about no signal on the phone, you are out of the GPS....

The correct phone, in the right hands, loaded with an appropriate app, and with cached maps, that is absolutely not true.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #42
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by intothenew View Post
The correct phone, in the right hands, loaded with an appropriate app, and with cached maps, that is absolutely not true.
LOL, how many times have we answered this question now???
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #43
Oz-Strom
Still trying

Oddometer: 729
iphone case and mount
another option I found recently

not sure if this one has been discussed - from the UK

Is it rugged enough for offroad adv riding? Looks interesting

http://www.ultimate-mobiles.co.uk/de...case___823.htm

See post here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=32

mount may be not durable for offroad

utube vid here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pW_Zvd2ao0

Have hardwire kits too that seem to fit with the waterproof case

http://www.ultimate-mobiles.co.uk/ha...dock___818.htm

Also see post on map app here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=23
Oz-Strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:44 AM   #44
HSRacer
Banned

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz-Strom View Post
iphone case and mount
another option I found recently

not sure if this one has been discussed - from the UK

Is it rugged enough for offroad adv riding? Looks interesting

http://www.ultimate-mobiles.co.uk/de...case___823.htm

See post here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=32

mount may be not durable for offroad

utube vid here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pW_Zvd2ao0

Have hardwire kits too that seem to fit with the waterproof case

http://www.ultimate-mobiles.co.uk/ha...dock___818.htm

Also see post on map app here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=23
The links to the website don't work.
HSRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:00 AM   #45
MetalHeadT
2000 DRZ400E

Oddometer: 19
I'm having trouble with MotionX when I import a gpx it starts off with it's regular name then it changes it to Import1.gpx, then Import2.gpx, even if I change the name it changes them back. What the heck?