ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #91
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoroberto View Post
How do you get motion-x to plot a route? I downloaded it and imported some gpx files (to my iphone 4s), but when I ask it to follow a track or go to a destination it just shows a 'crow flies' line and total distance without directions.
If you want to use routes, you need MotionX Drive.
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #92
motoroberto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Can I put tracks onto Motion-X Drive?
Here's my situation:
I'm totally unexperienced with gps, and I'm going on a multi-day multi-destination ride. The organizers have provided 3 gps tracks (one for each day) and a list of waypoints.
I would like to have the option of turn by turn directions for the tracks with the appropriate waypoints for that day also on the track (as given to me the waypoints are a separate list, not shown in perspective to the track for that day).
Is this gonna be doable with the iphone and Motion-x or Motion-x drive? I'd like to get away with using what I have (the phone),
or should I just bite the bullet and get a regular gps?

Brooklyn to Puerto Escondido, MX:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=931315

motoroberto screwed with this post 04-27-2012 at 02:03 PM Reason: e-lab-o-ration
motoroberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #93
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,648
Quote:
Here's my situation:
I'm totally unexperienced with gps, and I'm going on a multi-day multi-destination ride. The organizers have provided 3 gps tracks (one for each day) and a list of waypoints.
I would like to have the option of turn by turn directions for the tracks with the appropriate waypoints for that day also on the track (as given to me the waypoints are a separate list, not shown in perspective to the track for that day).
Is this gonna be doable with the iphone and Motion-x or Motion-x drive? I'd like to get away with using what I have (the phone),
No, MotionX GPS does the tracks. There is no turn by turn when you off road..
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #94
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
As far as I know, you can't. But Motion-X Drive doesn't exist where I live so I could be wrong (it uses completely different maps to MotionX GPS and those maps do not cover the whole world).

Quote:
Here's my situation:
I think you're getting the terminology wrong. A "track" does not support turn by turn navigation. A track is just a series of points without any concern for whether or not there happens to be roads that can get you from one point to another. Some tracks can only be navigated by aircraft or boat for example.

Quote:
With Motion-X GPS the answer is maybe. I'd need to know more about these "tracks" you're talking about. It definitely won't give you turn by turn but it is perfectly capable of overlaying a track (or several) on top of a map so you can follow it/them, or navigating from one waypoint to another.

If the points in the track don't already follow the trails or roads you're going to be riding down, then you can use various tools on your PC or Mac to convert it into a track that does follow the roads. It won't give you turn by turn, but it will give you an orange line that *exactly* follows where you're supposed to go (if the map data is good), and you will know within seconds if you've taken a wrong turn.

With Motion-X Drive, I'm pretty sure it will be useless for you. But keep in mind this is just two apps... there are many other apps available for iPhones.

Quote:
What kind of roads or trails are you riding down? Where are they? What type of "track" are the ride organisers going to provide? Without knowing all of that, it's not clear whether a regular GPS will be better or worse than your phone. If you load the tracks up into google earth, do they follow the roads?

Why don't you just buy MotionX now and test it for yourself? Whatever you do, you want to be properly familiar with your GPS on the first day of the actual ride. Install MotionX, create a few of your own tracks and waypoints, then try following them. Try importing the tracks for this event and see how they look... some tracks might have hundreds of miles from one point to the next and just a straight line between them. In that case you'll probably need to convert the track into something more detailed to use MotionX GPS.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #95
motoroberto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Thanks abhibeckert and John Smallberries for the detailed info.
I understand now that tracks are connected points "over" a map, and therefore I can't get turn by turn.

I think the tracks they supplied are pretty well detailed, they seem to follow roads/secondary roads/trails on the map.
These maps are 300 miles away so I can't check for sure but zooming in on the track maps w Motion-X shows the tracks over labeled roads (or trails).
I'm assuming when I'm at the start of a track that I select "follow" on Motion-X and my position triangle will appear on the map at the beginning of the track and I just follow the red line, with the triangle following in real time. Is that right?

The thing I really don't understand still is how to transfer the waypoints to the track map.
There are 16 waypoints and 7 tracks. The waypoints are fuel and lunch and beer (most important) stops. When selected they just come up as a single point on a map.
Is there any way to transfer the waypoints to the tracks? Otherwise I suppose I could scan through all of the tracks to see where each of the waypoints are, but it would be a lot easier if there was a way to transfer the waypoints to the tracks.

I may get Motion-X Drive anyway just to get me to the start w turn by turn.
Or maybe not- I've always been a map guy, feels weird jumping into the gps world.
Then again it's only 99 cents...
leaves plenty of cash for beer.

Brooklyn to Puerto Escondido, MX:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=931315
motoroberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:54 AM   #96
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Is there any way to transfer the waypoints to the tracks? Otherwise I suppose I could scan through all of the tracks to see where each of the waypoints are, but it would be a lot easier if there was a way to transfer the waypoints to the tracks.
You can place the waypoints in a gpx file (with a variety of different apps on your PC) and import them into MotionX, then have some or all of them visible on the map. If you organise them into folders, you can control visibility for a set of markers.

Quote:
Or maybe not- I've always been a map guy, feels weird jumping into the gps world.
Don't bother for anything off road mate.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #97
IntrepidRunner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
I just came back from a weekend at a professionally hosted dual sport ride at Yosemite. I used my iPhone 4S with MotionX-GPS with some success. First, addressing motoroberto's statement, MotionX-Drive will not work for off-road and you cannot import tracks into it. In the wilderness, MotionX-GPS works only if you download all the maps, way points and tracks in advance. Doing so in Wi-Fi works best.

I had my iPhone attached to my left forearm in a TuneBelt, zip-tied in two places to be sure it did not fall out or fall off me. This allowed the iPhone to go about four hours without a charge, then I charged it at the lunch stops. I brought the AC charger and a USB DC cigarette plug. The only problem I experienced is that in heavily wooded areas, the map would not move, probably due to not getting a GPS signal. I'm not sure if that is all there is . A quick glove removal and a finger drag along the rout found my position and I was off again.

A dedicated GPS receiver, with a big display has the iPhone beat. But as a back-up, it works.
IntrepidRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:10 AM   #98
JasonLester
Riding north

Oddometer: 188
I use Skobbler on my Iphone 4s. It seems to work pretty good in the cage. I have yet to really use it on my bike. It has the advantage of voice for free. I also downloaded the maps which cost extra but its .99 to use it on the 3g I think. entire world maps is 10 bucks. I wanted US and Canada and you can get just that 6 bucks. You also can only install what you need when you need it (state by state). So far I like it alot....have not tried uploading routes etc to it. I usually print my planned route and if something happens I cannot follow it, or need to find a different route, I go to the GPS...
JasonLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #99
ScottB
Spam Enthusiast

Oddometer: 49
Well, for what it's worth, I'll be taking that UltimateAddons waterproof case on a road trip next month. I'll report back then.
1971 Kawasaki F7 175
ScottB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:14 AM   #100
ScottB
Spam Enthusiast

Oddometer: 49
So I've been working on this a bit in prep for my upcoming trip and it turns out Skobbler (a $0.99 product) will now sell you access to offline North American road maps, downloadable by state, province or country, for $5.99. Great if, like me, you are mainly a roadie! It also has capacity to program your routes in advance. I haven't tested it much yet, but will shortly report back.
1971 Kawasaki F7 175
ScottB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #101
JasonLester
Riding north

Oddometer: 188
Scott its not perfect. But it's not bad at all. I have used it plenty around town and other than a few little route oddities I really like it. It's never not gotten me there it just one time tried to take me on an odd route. If I hadn't known the area I wouldn't have seen it.
It's probably as good as my cheap tom-tom I have in the car.

I haven't figured out to get it to play audio through my Scala rider yet but it's not a big deal yet.

Well worth it IMO
JasonLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:14 AM   #102
workinboy
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hey guys. Maybe someone here will be able to help me out. This is what I'm trying to do:

I have mapped out routes via Google Maps on the web and saved the routes as a KML file. Now, I am trying to find an application for the iPhone that will take the KML file (or GPX) and deliver turn by turn directions. Do I need to convert the KML file to something else? If so, how can I go about that?

Waze won't take the KML files. I've looked at iNomad and couldn't figure out how to work it.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys!

workinboy screwed with this post 08-26-2012 at 08:48 AM
workinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #103
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,570
[QUOTE=workinboy;19448296]Any ideas?[QUOTE]You can only get turn-by-turn directions from a ROUTE, not a TRACK. It was a route in Google Maps, but when you saved as KML it was converted into a track. I don't know of any way to save a route in a KML file. There are other ways to get what you want, but someone else will have to help because I never use routes.
HogWild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #104
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,220
Just another update on my feelings on using the iPhone with Navigon as a GPS.

Firstly, I'm sick to death of iPhones. I've had an iPhone for over four years now and I think it will be the last apple product I ever buy. I'm having problems with chargers, the phone cutting off on me, it's very slow, the screen is becoming progressively more unresponsive, the battery life is terrible, and just keeps getting worse, and it freezes quite often. I've had my most current one for about a year and a half now. Considering the cell phone companies do two year contracts for reduced phone prices, it shouldn't be too much to expect the phone to actually last two years.

Okay, onto Navigon. At first I loved it. However, the longer I use it, the more I've grown to hate it. It very often plots quite bizarre routes that are obviously not optimal. The heads up display (or whatever it's called) switches between 'expected arrival time' and 'time until arrival' seemingly at random. The number of POIs are very poor. My four year old TomTom that has never been updated has more POIs than Navigon. The Navigon GPS has trouble recognizing turns. It will often tell me that I have let's say 12 miles until the next turn. Okay, I don't have to keep my eyes glued to the screen, right? Well, unfortunately, not all turns are listed as turns. By this, I mean the route line follows the turn and if my eyes were on the screen, I'd see I had to make a turn. However, the app treats the turn like part of the road I was on, so it never tells me a turn is coming up. I don't know how many times I've glanced down just to see that my next turn is a u-turn because I missed my last one. For the longest time, I thought I just wasn't paying attention and kept kicking myself for it. However, I eventually discovered that it was the GPS, not me. Conversely, it often tells me a turn is coming up when in reality, it's just a curve in the road. It's quite bizarre actually.

This brings up another very annoying habit of Navigon. When I enter a destination, I generally get two or three route choices. Often times if I miss a turn and get back onto the route I was on it will have already recalculated out a new route using one of the other route options from the beginning. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, as I would hope that it would replot a shorter route for me if I miss a turn. However, if I get right back onto the route, I shouldn't have to deal with an alternate route. Also, it often plots a longer route, not a shorter or the same rate.

A couple of months ago I was heading back home from Erie, PA. I had chosen a route to take me home (all I really needed was to get out of the city). I was coming up to a left hand turn according to the GPS. I looked and noticed that the GPS had me make a left, then two rights, and then another left just to get right back on the street I was currently on. Well, that was obviously a mistake, so I just headed straight instead of taking the detour around the block. By skipping that small section, it recalculated my route. Before skipping that small part, my ETA was 5.5 hours. After it recalculated, it gave me a route that was 9.5 hours ETA. That's just absolutely terrible.

I've tried using my Navigon app in the car with friends, and it has been a running joke for quite some time not to let me use my iPhone for GPS because it will take us the wrong way. Why the joke? Well, it's less of a joke and more of just reality. I have/had four other dedicated GPS units. Navigon on the iPhone doesn't come close to competing with any of them.

At the end of the year when my contract is up and I get a new non-Apple phone, I've been debating whether I want to celebrate by shooting the phone full of holes or smashing it on the sidewalk (as I've daydreamed of doing many times). It really is a tough decision. I will also be purchasing a waterproof stand-alone GPS unit for my motorcycle. I'm likely getting the Nuvi 550.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #105
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
I will also be purchasing a waterproof stand-alone GPS unit for my motorcycle. I'm likely getting the Nuvi 550.
Just for laughs, while in a rental truck yesterday I used my iPhone with Sygic, a gps app which was 2/3 off in the iStore for a limited time. I'm a sucker for gps units and apps.

Sygic uses TomTom maps, and looks really full featured when you read the specs. The maps are all pre-loaded to the unit, so there's no need for web or data connections.

I asked Sygic to guide me to a U-Haul depot in town, and as I got to where I knew the depot was, the app kept telling me to pull a U turn, so it didn't have the right info in it to find this major street which has been the same for years.

I find the best way to see if the gps app is dependable is to use it when you already know how to get somewhere. That way you don't need to trust the thing, and you can tell when it's just plain wrong.

That's why I usually use my Garmin Montana with multiple maps loaded.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote