User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2010, 07:13 PM   #1
FlySniper OP
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,658
Awww damnit!

I finally have to admit, I want a scooter!

I've fought it off for a couple of years, but it just keeps growing.

The last straw happened last Thursday. Cool and wet, there were only two bikes in the MC parking area. My DR650 and a little Chinese scooter. I'm way early, so I'm just sitting on the curb near my bike. A guy comes walking up, helmet in hand.

Naturally a conversation ensues. He was talking about how cheap he got his scooter and how he did several small mods to improve it's performance... I'm thinking it was kinda cool, but still too small.

When he left it was on the back wheel..... Why that just pushed me over the edge, I don't know.

But this is my official, "Coming out of the Closet." announcement.

I want a freaking SCOOTER!

The shock of admission still has my brain spinning. I'm not sure what to look at.... 50cc~250+cc? Honda, Yamaha, Linhai (not scared of Chinese scoots in the least), an old Vespa??

It makes no sense. I keep telling myself that a Ninja 250 would be a better buy as it's a real bike.

The only criteria that I can come up with is that it needs to be fairly cheap, reliable and I'd really prefer that it's capable of 65mph or more. (less than that and I couldn't commute on it)

So what now?

BTW... I'm weird, I like the old Honda Helix scooters, they have that funky/cool 80's styling.
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:39 PM   #2
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Scratch that itch! It's a whole 'nother thang! Dude, I envy you, getting into scoots for the first time. Once you try a ride that meets your performance needs, you'll never want to shift up-and-down in traffic again.

Need 65mph, hmmm...variety of mid-sized scoots'll do that...

Helix! A scoot that Ziggy Stardust would definetly ride!
But you can't go by me - I ride the Plumber's Truck, the Big Ruckus...
Old 10-16-2010, 08:51 PM   #3
emmettken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,898
Resistance is futile.
emmettken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
BurgerFriesDrink
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
I was thinking about your scooter awakening when I fell off the toilet and hit my head. Anyway, I had a vision. You need to check out the Genuine Blur SS 220i.

I traded in my '08 DR650 for a Zuma 125. I had to change up the clutch/cvt on the Zuma to achieve 92% happiness (which is close enough for me), but it'll never cruise at 65mph with the stock engine. I modded my transmission for good launch characteristics (and really, it's all about the launch).

Check out the Blur if you need launch, handling and top speed.
BurgerFriesDrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:34 PM   #5
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
While you are at the Genuine Dealer checking out the Blur be sure and test ride a Stella if they have any left. It won't go 65 but you won't care.
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:11 PM   #6
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Any thing 150 cc+ will easily suit your needs. A 150 cc CVT scooter in good running condition should be able to hit 65 mph no problem, and cruise at 55 mph without breaking a sweat. My Elite 150 will easily hit 65 mph, and I have seen a touch of 70 mph with the wind at my back on a great day.

A 250 cc would be ideal if you actually need to maintain 65 mph for extended periods or go on shorter freeway rides. A Helix is designed for full throttle operation for long periods of time, and should see 78 mph on a good day. An Elite 250 can be had for a whole lot cheaper though, $1000-$1800 would be about right for a decent Elite 250. They should hit 75 mph. Or a modern 250 scooter, such as a Honda Reflex 250 [Not the Enduro], should see upwards of 80 mph.

Anything over 250 cc, like a Burgman or Majesty 400, should hit speeds of over 105 mph, and 600-650 cc 120+ mph with ease.

So what is the main purpose you want from the bike? My guess is you want to commute on it as main, and ride it around for fun on weekends, while keeping your 650 for longer rides and for weekend rides. If so, look at mainly 250 cc scooters. A Honda Helix on craigslist would certainly not be a bad idea. Just research a little and come up with a bike you know you will really enjoy.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:28 AM   #7
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,438
there s a host of 250 cc plus scooters. helix, cfmoto, vespa, honda elite ,big rukas etc. Don't fight it give in to the power of the dark side of motorcycling.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:16 AM   #8
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warney
While you are at the Genuine Dealer checking out the Blur be sure and test ride a Stella if they have any left. It won't go 65 but you won't care.
Yep. That nudges you into a whole 'nuther realm of addiction and weirdness. :needleinarm

come on in...the water's fine.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:38 AM   #9
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,512
I'm a big advocate of 250's. Most will hit 70 plus. When you are considering them, realize seating position varies so make sure you sit on one before you buy. I had an Elite 250 and to this day it's my favorite bike/scooter I have owned.

You may also want to consider a SYM HD200 as it is capable of 70 plus.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:50 AM   #10
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySniper
I want a freaking SCOOTER!

The shock of admission still has my brain spinning. I'm not sure what to look at.... 50cc~250+cc? Honda, Yamaha, Linhai (not scared of Chinese scoots in the least), an old Vespa??

It makes no sense. I keep telling myself that a Ninja 250 would be a better buy as it's a real bike.

The only criteria that I can come up with is that it needs to be fairly cheap, reliable and I'd really prefer that it's capable of 65mph or more. (less than that and I couldn't commute on it)
I arrived at a Kawasaki Super Sherpa from 20+ years on an R65 by a similar route.

It's small, light, will do 65mph and can go places neither my R65 nor my 2wd ute will go, as well as being ideal for commuting.

About the only thing it doesn't do very well is open highway riding and I am perfectly happy to trailer it long distances and camp comfortably out of the ute while riding interesting places during the day secure in the knowledge that if I break it I have my transport home.

If you've already got your DR650 you've probably got the highway and offroad stuff covered and a small light urban focussed scooter could be a hoot.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:25 AM   #11
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
250cc's are fine, but your story indicates that you'd be much happier with a light, throwable and twistable scooter. Get a 150cc and stay light and fun.

Avoid the Chinese stuff as they're not really that much cheaper. If you have the money, then look at everything from Honda to Vespa to Genuine/Buddy. If you're kind of cheap, then check out the KYMCO Super 8's.
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:42 AM   #12
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by approachbears
250cc's are fine, but your story indicates that you'd be much happier with a light, throwable and twistable scooter. Get a 150cc and stay light and fun.

Avoid the Chinese stuff as they're not really that much cheaper. If you have the money, then look at everything from Honda to Vespa to Genuine/Buddy. If you're kind of cheap, then check out the KYMCO Super 8's.

Except that he says he needs it to go 65mph or more.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:03 AM   #13
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastroman
Except that he says he needs it to go 65mph or more.
Actually, I purposely ignored that part because of the rest of his tale. Most every rider I personally know who moved from motorcycle to scooter over estimated the need for scooter speed. Maybe he's different, maybe he's actually full blown highway commuting or something. But his clear infatuation with the small-light-zippy nature of scooters seems akin to that of several people I know and they seemed very happy with a 60-65mph top speed of their 150's.
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:38 AM   #14
FlySniper OP
Bleh...

It's going to be a while before I can get something, I've been laid off for a while, but go back starting in December.

I keep watching C-list and have found several scoots around $800, one is an '86 Helix 150 and then there's a boatload of >2 year old Chinese scooters (a couple of Roketa 250's too) in the same price range.

I think that for what I want, under $1000 is a good place to start. That would get me a low mileage (or new) Chinese bike or an older name brand.

There's a Piaggio-Vespa on the Hickory NC craig's list for $1000... looks like it needs some major luvin, but it's just cool.

For now I think I'll stick with something that runs!

There's almost too many flavors of these things, it's hard to narrow it down.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:37 PM   #15
FlySniper OP
Bleh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by approachbears
Actually, I purposely ignored that part because of the rest of his tale. Most every rider I personally know who moved from motorcycle to scooter over estimated the need for scooter speed. Maybe he's different, maybe he's actually full blown highway commuting or something. But his clear infatuation with the small-light-zippy nature of scooters seems akin to that of several people I know and they seemed very happy with a 60-65mph top speed of their 150's.
I rode a Lifan 200cc street and trail for about 2 years. The top speed on that bike was 65mph and I was able to ride it anywhere I wanted, I even did several 400+ miles days on it (and one 600 mile day that really hurt!).

If things work out the way I'm hoping, I'll have a daily commute of 53 miles almost exclusively on a 65mph four lane (it's really the Hillbilly Autobahn, more than once I've come home at 80mph after midnight and been passed by several cars.) So that's duty for the DR. I've done it on a Lifan street and trail (65mph WFO), it's not bad, just have to watch. If my schedule is just right and I'm travelling when traffic is light I could handle that commute at 60mph without issue. On a bike I have no ego, I get out of the way of agressive drivers!

My other commute would be to night classes which is mostly on 40mph roads but includes a 10 mile stretch of 55mph two lane. That and the rest of my normal running would be scooter duty.

But you're right. If it were practicle for me I'd be all over one of the little 50cc scoots. That's the attraction anyway. Small, light and economical. Anything larger than a 250 and I might as well get a Ninja 250 as it would be more reasonable.