Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #151
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by space View Post
herrhelmet, do you still make the 12 cell A123 battery?
No. The 12 cell Ballistic is the replacement using A123 cells. The Sycl 6.9 Ah needed welding gauge cable (6AWG) which wasn't very flexible.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #152
space
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,584
Got it. Order placed. Thanks for the $10 coupon!
space is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #153
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Interested in the Ballistic batteries

I'm in the states currently, picking up parts for my bikes and would like to try the Ballistic batteries in my bikes.

One bike is a KTM 250XCF-W w/a 300 cylinder and I assume the 4 cell would work for it? If not please let me know.

The other is a KTM 525 EXC with a 570 cylinder and thinking the 8 cell would be good for this bike but have a couple questions. The batteries performance I don't doubt in ideal use conditions. Sometime my conditions are not ideal. I use this bike for multi week rides in the bush and the bike attracts a lot of attention from the locals when stopping for food/fuel.

Often they will play with the buttons/GPS etc. Since my headlight is connected to DC voltage the headlight can and does get turned on. Many times coming back to the bike the light was turned on and the battery is down with not enough power to Estart the bike and i have to kick it. If this happens with your style of battery will the low battery be able to take a charge again and what damage does this situation do to the battery? Is the damage done to the battery minor or is it time for a new battery if it happens a few times on a two week trip?

A stupid question - If the battery needs charging what needs to be done to correctly charge the battery when in third world environments when non sulphating chargers are not available?

Is there any risk of water submersion to this style of battery since the bike quite often gets drowned out in rivers?

You guidance is appreciated.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #154
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
I'm in the states currently, picking up parts for my bikes and would like to try the Ballistic batteries in my bikes.

One bike is a KTM 250XCF-W w/a 300 cylinder and I assume the 4 cell would work for it? If not please let me know.

The other is a KTM 525 EXC with a 570 cylinder and thinking the 8 cell would be good for this bike but have a couple questions. The batteries performance I don't doubt in ideal use conditions. Sometime my conditions are not ideal. I use this bike for multi week rides in the bush and the bike attracts a lot of attention from the locals when stopping for food/fuel.

Often they will play with the buttons/GPS etc. Since my headlight is connected to DC voltage the headlight can and does get turned on. Many times coming back to the bike the light was turned on and the battery is down with not enough power to Estart the bike and i have to kick it. If this happens with your style of battery will the low battery be able to take a charge again and what damage does this situation do to the battery? Is the damage done to the battery minor or is it time for a new battery if it happens a few times on a two week trip?

A stupid question - If the battery needs charging what needs to be done to correctly charge the battery when in third world environments when non sulphating chargers are not available?

Is there any risk of water submersion to this style of battery since the bike quite often gets drowned out in rivers?

You guidance is appreciated.
I think you are correct on the battery application. 4 Cell for the 300, 8 Cell for the 570. I've left my lights/gps on my bike overnight a couple of times and had to kick. The batteries will take a charge again after riding the bike for a while no problem. They only get permanently damaged if they drain for a long period like days or weeks. then they are dead just like a lead/Acid.

As for submersing, the ballistics are water-tight sealed, but anytime you dunk a bike in a river you can short the battery out. The BMS charger plug on the top of the battery has a rubber seal too. If you're going to torture test them as you say, consider a BMS balance charger. If you find someone has flipped your switches overnight you can put the bike on the fast charge and bring it back easily.

Jim
Old 03-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #155
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Thanks for the prompt reply. Great info.

The battery holds most of its charge for one year if not connected. If my bike is ridden often and the charging system of the bike is charging the battery fully why would I need BMS charger? The only place I'm thinking one would be beneficial is if my lights got turned on during a ride however I would hardly be carrying a battery charger in my toolkit on the 525 during my trips. Unless I'm missing something? Let me know. Thanks.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:55 AM   #156
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,790
Sorry if 205 but are you allowed to ship these to Australia direct via airmail?
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:43 AM   #157
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Quote:
Thanks for the prompt reply. Great info.

The battery holds most of its charge for one year if not connected. If my bike is ridden often and the charging system of the bike is charging the battery fully why would I need BMS charger? The only place I'm thinking one would be beneficial is if my lights got turned on during a ride however I would hardly be carrying a battery charger in my toolkit on the 525 during my trips. Unless I'm missing something? Let me know. Thanks.
You probably wouldn't need one in your case. I only mentioned it to resolve the occasional deep drain from people leaving your switches on. Riding a bike with a healthy 14.5 Volt charging system keeps these batteries balanced w/o the BMS.

Some bikes come from the factory with lousy ones like my KTM 450 which puts out barely 13.5 V so I can't run any HIDs or heated grips until I get a better stator. In my case the individual cells can slowly get out of balance over time, so I would use the BMS to maximize battery life.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:44 AM   #158
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr View Post
Sorry if 205 but are you allowed to ship these to Australia direct via airmail?
I've had no problems shipping airmail since they are non-liquid/non toxic. Shipped to Australia a bunch of times.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #159
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Thanks for the reply's Herrhelmet!!

I just put in an order for a 4 cell and 8 cell and forgot was there an ADV discount?

Best of luck.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #160
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Quote:
Thanks for the reply's Herrhelmet!!

I just put in an order for a 4 cell and 8 cell and forgot was there an ADV discount?

Best of luck.

Sending you a refund for the $10 via paypal. You should get it in the next 30 min.

Thanks for your order.

Jim
Old 03-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #161
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Thanks, you're a gent. Can't wait to try these things out.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #162
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Voltage & Balance Testers!

So, here's the first of several updates coming for Sycl Batteries.

WE NO LONGER SELL BALLISTIC BATTERIES. Which is actually great news since we now work with the manufacturer and together have improved build quality and reliability. We are also revising some of the cranking power ratings to make them more accurate for real-world conditions. Our new batteries look the same, but better in almost every way.

Major price reductions on most batteries + 10% off for ADV Members: KOTW2012 Our 12 Cell batteries are now priced lower than the competition's 8 Cell batteries!

For a limited time (while supplies last) we will offer free Voltage and balance testers for the AM08 and AM12 models....

See video below. Plugs directly into top of battery showing overall voltage and each cell bank (1-4) individual cell voltage. —So you can make sure your bike's charging system is keeping the battery voltage up. Testing has shown that these batteries last longer when charged above 14 Volts.

We are also offering the balance testers with extension cables that will plug into Shorai or Ballistic BMS ports! Only $12.95.

More to follow!
Old 05-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #163
Tessitori
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Which battery would best suit my needs? I have a 2002 f650gs.

Thanks,

Andrew
Old 05-24-2012, 11:00 PM   #164
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessitori View Post
Which battery would best suit my needs? I have a 2002 f650gs.

Thanks,

Andrew
Hi Andrew, the 8 Cell below would be the correct choice. I have one on my 2007 650:

http://shop.testsycl.com/A123-SYCL-0...Y-4S2PAM08.htm
Old 05-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #165
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,460
Question XR650L Diet Time

In one of the battery relocation threads I saw where Inmate CW did a battery replacement for Inmate Wattner on his XR650L using what appears to be your A123 4.6 AH Kit C. What kind of feedback, if any, are you getting for this application, particularly where the rider doesn't have any electronic stuff that runs with the bike turned off?
LexLeroy is online now   Reply With Quote