ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 11:38 AM   #46
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever
 
rtwdoug's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Alabamski Oblast, Redneckistan
Oddometer: 3,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrhelmet View Post
It's a perfect backup battery because it can sit for up to a year without needed a trickle charger. What bike are you riding?
03 Harley 1200 Dirtster XL/GS
__________________
Buy a tshirt to help support my 2014 Cannonball entry HERE

www.motosapiens.org
My bike hotel in Bulgaria. ADVriders get 1st beer free!

rtwdoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #47
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man
 
herrhelmet's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: USA West
Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug View Post
03 Harley 1200 Dirtster XL/GS
If you go to

www.testsycl.com

---in the Batteries section, the 6.9 AH has 360 CCA which is more than the OEM and is 1.8 lbs. Would fit into your touring bags and won't leak. Also a $15 ADV disount rebate if you buy one. We can put battery lugs on the cable ends so you don't need connectors.
__________________
"Your bike is too heavy" www.motolithium.com TWITTER
herrhelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:53 AM   #48
Matttys
Matt the Balloon Guy
 
Matttys's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Oddometer: 436
I'm looking to use one of these for a DR650 based street tracker project.

How will the lithium ion batteries hold up to charging via a trickle charger? I've got a fairly nice DRS 8 bank charger for AGM/Gel/Standard batteries, but how can I trickle charge the lithium ion batteries. I realize that there is much less of a discharge rate; so would you suggest that there is no need to EVER externally charge these batteries?

Also, you suggest the 4.6 AH unit for my DR650 single?
__________________
www.ProTwister.com
'04 Bonneville hack, '05 DRZ134SM minimoto, '02 955i Tiger, '08 WR250R
Matttys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:31 AM   #49
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man
 
herrhelmet's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: USA West
Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matttys View Post
I'm looking to use one of these for a DR650 based street tracker project.

How will the lithium ion batteries hold up to charging via a trickle charger? I've got a fairly nice DRS 8 bank charger for AGM/Gel/Standard batteries, but how can I trickle charge the lithium ion batteries. I realize that there is much less of a discharge rate; so would you suggest that there is no need to EVER externally charge these batteries?

Also, you suggest the 4.6 AH unit for my DR650 single?
I don't know about the DRS 8 bank charger, but charging on a desulfate mode will damage them. Battery Tenders are fine.

These batteries will hold a starting charge for up to 1 year without a charger.

I never leave mine on one. If you have a possible static drain like a digital clock, and leave the bike sitting for a while, it would give some peace of mind.

The 4.6 Ah should be perfect for a DR650. 10% REBATE if you mention ADV rider in online order.

Thanks,

Jim
__________________
"Your bike is too heavy" www.motolithium.com TWITTER
herrhelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:32 AM   #50
Matttys
Matt the Balloon Guy
 
Matttys's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrhelmet View Post
I don't know about the DRS 8 bank charger, but charging on a desulfate mode will damage them. Battery Tenders are fine.

These batteries will hold a starting charge for up to 1 year without a charger.

I never leave mine on one. If you have a possible static drain like a digital clock, and leave the bike sitting for a while, it would give some peace of mind.

The 4.6 Ah should be perfect for a DR650. 10% REBATE if you mention ADV rider in online order.

Thanks,

Jim
Cool. My super 8-Bank charger can desulfate, but that's only if I keep the charge activated overnight. If I turn the power on long enough to charge that battery the desulfate mode won't activate.

10% off. . . . expect an order from me within a few days!
__________________
www.ProTwister.com
'04 Bonneville hack, '05 DRZ134SM minimoto, '02 955i Tiger, '08 WR250R
Matttys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #51
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 15,738
jim, this is the answer!

i am putting an electric starter on the xr400 and there's no room for a regular size battery.

your batt is the perfect size. i will order once i get all the stuff installed.
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:17 AM   #52
Matttys
Matt the Balloon Guy
 
Matttys's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrhelmet View Post
The 4.6 Ah should be perfect for a DR650. 10% REBATE if you mention ADV rider in online order.

Thanks,

Jim
Jim - I noted ADVrider on the online order, but I was still charged full price. Can you please let me know how the 10% rebate works?
__________________
www.ProTwister.com
'04 Bonneville hack, '05 DRZ134SM minimoto, '02 955i Tiger, '08 WR250R
Matttys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:33 AM   #53
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man
 
herrhelmet's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: USA West
Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matttys View Post
Jim - I noted ADVrider on the online order, but I was still charged full price. Can you please let me know how the 10% rebate works?

Sorry, missed that. I will send you a rebate to your paypal.

Thanks,

Jim
__________________
"Your bike is too heavy" www.motolithium.com TWITTER
herrhelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #54
Matttys
Matt the Balloon Guy
 
Matttys's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrhelmet View Post
Sorry, missed that. I will send you a rebate to your paypal.

Thanks,

Jim
Paypal $$$ received. Thank you!
__________________
www.ProTwister.com
'04 Bonneville hack, '05 DRZ134SM minimoto, '02 955i Tiger, '08 WR250R
Matttys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:49 AM   #55
Wylie
Back in the saddle again
 
Wylie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Shoshone, Idaho
Oddometer: 2,234
Nice!

Most excellent! Am I right in thinking that hydrogen is produced while these batteries are charing?

Maybe we could use some of that in the aspiration if I'm correct.
__________________
Okay so I'm not Super Man. I'm just the jack of many trades, master of some yet to find and as the world turns that would only be for a matter of time.

Okay, screw it, stop the world I'm getting off.
Wylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:15 AM   #56
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Lookout Mountain - above Golden, CO
Oddometer: 734
Hmm, I'm about to do another longish (3000 miles or so) tour on my DR650 and the current battery is going on 5 years so I'm figuring to change it out. I'm a little leery of brand new technology, but this really looks interesting. Question, since I also commute on the bike (coldest so far 11 degrees F) and sometimes on trips it gets in the 20s, I therefor wear a heated jacket liner and use heated grips as necessary. Um, along with a GPS. On the other hand all my lights are LEDs (including two Solstice 10W) except my headlight, which is HID. I do have a digital voltmeter to monitor the battery. The 4.6 going to work OK for this?
kbuckey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:32 AM   #57
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man
 
herrhelmet's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: USA West
Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuckey View Post
Hmm, I'm about to do another longish (3000 miles or so) tour on my DR650 and the current battery is going on 5 years so I'm figuring to change it out. I'm a little leery of brand new technology, but this really looks interesting. Question, since I also commute on the bike (coldest so far 11 degrees F) and sometimes on trips it gets in the 20s, I therefor wear a heated jacket liner and use heated grips as necessary. Um, along with a GPS. On the other hand all my lights are LEDs (including two Solstice 10W) except my headlight, which is HID. I do have a digital voltmeter to monitor the battery. The 4.6 going to work OK for this?

The 4.6 will work under these conditions and can last well beyond 5 years if you take care of it:

1. When you run all your cold weather gear your stator is able to handle the load without draining the battery, which sounds like it does if you got 5 years out of it.

2. You don't leave anything on without the charging system going...

3. For the real cold weather days, I recommend the quick disconnects and mounting the battery so you could take it inside. I use one on my snowmobile and do this. Never have a problem. I haven't tried one at 11F but at 20F it was a bit slow, but the battery self heats and gets stronger.

The racers who buy these all love the quick disconnects so they can just plug them in when they're ready to race... also if you leave them unplugged you can forget about them for a year without needed a trickle charger.

Jim
__________________
"Your bike is too heavy" www.motolithium.com TWITTER
herrhelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #58
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man
 
herrhelmet's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: USA West
Oddometer: 2,361
6.9 Ah Battery starts Jeep Liberty 3.7L V6

Lots of people are asking if the 6.9 Ah (12 Cell battery) will start a BMW 1200GS...

I don't own one, so I tried it on my Jeep. Started right up. So I now carry one as an emergency jump start when I go off road... in the glove box...!



Yes, the ADV 10% discount applies to all products except the 2.3 Ah which is already 20% off.

Starting tomorrow we will accept most credit cards along with Paypal and checks.
__________________
"Your bike is too heavy" www.motolithium.com TWITTER
herrhelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:48 PM   #59
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy
 
tmotten's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary
Oddometer: 2,449
I reckon the 4.6ah would start that car.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:11 AM   #60
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!
 
mpanther's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Las Wages
Oddometer: 1,036
Would it be possible to get a 2.3ah battery made that is two X two?

I would guess this would have a size of 2" X 2" X 2.75"
__________________
Peace in your heart & Light on your soul.
>^..^<

ad·ven·ture n.
1. Participation in exciting or hazardous experiences.
2. An undertaking of a questionable nature.
3. An undertaking of a hazardous nature.

'83 GL650swi "My Little Grey Lady"
'86 LS650 Milady's bike
mpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014