Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2011, 10:37 AM   #781
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,419
Well heck! With the Buffalo River cresting at near 37 feet near Harriet, I'm very sure that the campgrounds at Spring Creek is a muddy mess for awhile. And the rest room is totally trashed. ;-( Then looks like more rain on the way for that area. Think I'll call my trip for the Wilderness Rally off and give it time to dry out in that area. Me and the KLR were looking forward to some time camping and chilling with friends though.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:36 PM   #782
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,924
Hey Jambo

Our power is back on tonight after Monday night's storms.
Saturday I'm thinking about a street ride. It won't be long since I'll be on my hawk gt. The sprint needs a chain.
The turkey hunters have one last weekend. I'm going to let them have the woods.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:48 PM   #783
Copperjohn1962
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
Well heck! With the Buffalo River cresting at near 37 feet near Harriet, I'm very sure that the campgrounds at Spring Creek is a muddy mess for awhile. And the rest room is totally trashed. ;-( Then looks like more rain on the way for that area. Think I'll call my trip for the Wilderness Rally off and give it time to dry out in that area. Me and the KLR were looking forward to some time camping and chilling with friends though.
I agree totally! I was going to do the ride as well but I think i will stay south and ride the Ouachita Mountains.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:44 AM   #784
Tinks
Imp of Satan

Oddometer: 20,382
Hey guys. I've seen some pictures of the flooding in Northern Arkansas. My BIL is with a group staying at Anglers this weekend. What is the condition in that general area?

(Mr. Disaster) Preston Drew Haun June 17, 1981- August 15, 2010
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:34 PM   #785
Mister D OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,607
I've got nothing to do tomorrow but ride dirt. I'll probably just stick close to the house unless one of y'all makes me an offer I can't refuse.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:48 PM   #786
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

6.0 miles on my kayak before lunch. I got my KTM 300 running this afternoon!
Old 05-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #787
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkansawyer View Post
6.0 miles on my kayak before lunch. I got my KTM 300 running this afternoon!
Kayaking sounds like a blast! Is there much danger in floating with one of those? I just envision the kayak like a big bobber with me on the underside. Glub! Glub!
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
OLEARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:17 PM   #788
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

Kayaking is as diversified as motorcycling.
I've tried to teach myself to roll mine all the way around. I promise you will fall out when it gets upside down, even if you don't want to.
The hardcore whitewater kayaks make me nervous. They fit pretty tight and it takes an old man with bad knees a minute or so to get in.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:48 PM   #789
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Quote:
I've tried to teach myself to roll mine all the way around. I promise you will fall out when it gets upside down, even if you don't want to.
The hardcore whitewater kayaks make me nervous. They fit pretty tight and it takes an old man with bad knees a minute or so to get in.
An old man with bad knees would include myself. Are they pretty stable or do you pretty much have to keep the paddle working to keep yourself upright? Skulling is something I always wanted to do. I'll bet that rowing gives your core a pretty good workout not to mention the arms. I need to check into that. The Osage Creek is but a couple of miles from here and when the water isn't running like it is now I bet I could kayak upstream as well as down which means I could haul the kayak out and paddle out and back to my vehicle. What do you think?
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #790
Copperjohn1962
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLEARY View Post
An old man with bad knees would include myself. Are they pretty stable or do you pretty much have to keep the paddle working to keep yourself upright? Skulling is something I always wanted to do. I'll bet that rowing gives your core a pretty good workout not to mention the arms. I need to check into that. The Osage Creek is but a couple of miles from here and when the water isn't running like it is now I bet I could kayak upstream as well as down which means I could haul the kayak out and paddle out and back to my vehicle. What do you think?
LOL It's so much easier to twist a throttle!
Old 05-01-2011, 06:45 PM   #791
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperjohn1962 View Post
LOL It's so much easier to twist a throttle!
I heard that CopperJohn! Maybe that is why I am sitting here blogging and getting older and more out of shape by the minute. Oh well, who needs all that pain. I have to find things that are fun that require a little physical exercise because the working out just isn't working out for me.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Old 05-01-2011, 06:59 PM   #792
Copperjohn1962
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLEARY View Post
I heard that CopperJohn! Maybe that is why I am sitting here blogging and getting older and more out of shape by the minute. Oh well, who needs all that pain. I have to find things that are fun that require a little physical exercise because the working out just isn't working out for me.
I'm with you there buddy! We have a nice work out facility at the office where I work and I look at it often and think, "well maybe I'll start tomorrow." LOL, tomorrow get pushed to next week and I never seem to start working out. I'm like you though Kayaking seems like it would be fun.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:40 PM   #793
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,868
Quote:
whitewater kayaks are by their nature twitchy, very manueverable but difficult to keep in a straight line. Flatwater and sit on top kayaks are capable of paddling most class 1-2 rivers like the Buffalo, Mulberry, Piney, etc, but can still cover miles of calmer water w/o wearing you out. Another option is a solo canoe; you can pack it with flotation for whitewater in the spring, or pack it with camping gear for trips in the summer. Used to paddle all over Arkansas, some of the best creeks anywhere.
dogjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:30 AM   #794
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,568
Is Kayaking any different than trying to paddle a canoe? I have already proven that I can't keep a canoe in a straight line! Did spend a lot of time going in circles though Me and My GrandSon still laugh about that experience (I think me more than him........Grandpa.....we're going to go in that cave!! was one thing I remember him saying)
10Cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #795
arngswag
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Hello all, I'm Allen and new to the site. Just wanted to introduce myself. I live in Central Ar (Conway area) so if you're in the area let me know.
arngswag is offline   Reply With Quote