Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #1396
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,771
I remember the good ole days too...and they were good times...
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #1397
Mister D OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiniUp View Post
No reason on earth riders/clubs cannot lease land also. We have several very large riding leases in Texas and it works fine. I see this complaint all the time in other areas and wonder why.
Excellent point. I have been offered a share in a lease that others hunt on, but ultimately decided against as I would be the only rider and they don't want guests to come for insurance reasons. But a group of riders could get a lease as easily as hunters do. I think the irritating thing for guys like Arkansawyer is the fact that what was once unrestricted is no longer that way.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #1398
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,907
I was on a deer lease for about ten years just so I could ride on it. The lease bordered the land I lived on. The property owner was a timber company and did not allow riding except to maintain deer stands and hunt. The others on the lease looked the other way since it meant one less guy hunting. The lease bylaws limited the number of people on the lease. It was a win/win, but not black and white legal. I hauled hay for the president of the lease when I was a teen, so he liked me. Mid nineties, when I was single and racing every time I could. I loved that house in the middle of nowhere.

The beer drinking ATV crowd ruin things for us. If I owned several thousand acres of woods and these morons kept on throwing trash down, shot out the windows on my skidders, poached deer out of season for the horns and back straps alone, I would put up gates.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:56 AM   #1399
hondaxr650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Anybody wanna go for a ride today?
hondaxr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #1400
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

I'll know Wednesday night if next weekend is open for me. Maybe we'll get some rain this week to control the dust.

My hawk gt is down for a few days. Makes me very sad.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #1401
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

Rain forecast for Friday ending overnight. Saturday morning might be perfect.

Where are you coming from? Easy gravel roads like a 2WD pickup can do, or something harder?
Old 08-15-2012, 06:58 PM   #1402
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

No work for me Saturday. It's all up to Mother Nature now. I think I'll tempt that old bitch and ride to work Friday.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #1403
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

Time for me to get cleaned up and crash. Nobody responded, so I will wake up whenever, leave whenever, and change routes whenever.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:00 PM   #1404
Wookazoid
Tree Basher

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkansawyer View Post
Time for me to get cleaned up and crash. Nobody responded, so I will wake up whenever, leave whenever, and change routes whenever.
My wife and I are in your neck of the woods... Malvern spending the weekend hanging out in Hot Springs. Guess we could follow you around in her SUV... well probably not that good of an idea! Almost brought our bikes to ride at Ross. I did get my new permits this week. Some of my local flatlander buddies will be there Saturday if you need someone to ride with.

Greg
Old 08-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #1405
Mister D OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,607
My DR needs new clutch plates. I'm going back-packing.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:54 AM   #1406
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookazoid View Post
My wife and I are in your neck of the woods... Malvern spending the weekend hanging out in Hot Springs. Guess we could follow you around in her SUV... well probably not that good of an idea! Almost brought our bikes to ride at Ross. I did get my new permits this week. Some of my local flatlander buddies will be there Saturday if you need someone to ride with.

Greg
Is Ross open to the public now? This flatlander loves Ross and wife and I both love Hot Springs. Good combo. McClards still good? Thanks.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #1407
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

Mother Nature thought she paid me back for that taunt by absolutely pouring here. Small hail woke me up this morning. We really needed the rain. Last weekend my mower wouldn't start because the gas was old. Never had that happen in the middle of summer.
My wife wants to ride Sunday morning. She rides a 100 very slowly on easy terrain.
McClard's is still really good, but doesn't hold the same appeal to me it used to. Doesn't help that a tamale spread was 11 bucks the last time I ate there a year ago.
Ross is free, but you need to get a permit online. It takes a few days to get it back. Please respect the no ride turkey hunting area and pick up at least one piece of trash. If everyone picked up just one thing every ride it would stay clean.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #1408
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkansawyer View Post
Mother Nature thought she paid me back for that taunt by absolutely pouring here. Small hail woke me up this morning. We really needed the rain. Last weekend my mower wouldn't start because the gas was old. Never had that happen in the middle of summer.
My wife wants to ride Sunday morning. She rides a 100 very slowly on easy terrain.
McClard's is still really good, but doesn't hold the same appeal to me it used to. Doesn't help that a tamale spread was 11 bucks the last time I ate there a year ago.
Ross is free, but you need to get a permit online. It takes a few days to get it back. Please respect the no ride turkey hunting area and pick up at least one piece of trash. If everyone picked up just one thing every ride it would stay clean.
All good info, thanks. Especially on McClards, must have gone uppity. Ross is a special place, hope everyone does their part to keep it open.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #1409
Wookazoid
Tree Basher

Oddometer: 475
Ross IS a great place! My wife rides a CRF100 and Ross is by far her favorite place to ride. If you get Amanda to send you a .pdf of the permit, you can get it within an hour (I did).

I may try to pursuade my wife to come back in a couple of weeks to ride. She likes Hot Springs and I have enough "points" to cash in to stay about two weeks at the Holiday Inn Express here in Malvern.

And yes, it did rain here last night! I just wish it would have moved a little further north!

Greg
Old 08-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #1410
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

My wife ASKED me to take her dirt riding today. She rides an XR100. The recent rain made conditions perfect. No dust, only a few small mudholes. The temp was even decent.