around the bend

Oddometer: 1,188
Thanks, I saw that bike and it's nice.

But - I really want the toaster. Why? Who knows? I think it looks

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale
My brother is selling one here in the ATL:
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/2015061196.html

Charging system has some issues that we're trying to sort out but the price is right and it's all original. Come check it out
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:40 PM   #17
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen
Thanks, I saw that bike and it's nice.

But - I really want the toaster. Why? Who knows? I think it looks
Hope you're ready to shell out quite a bit more $$ then
We have one of those as well. It sits next to that one. haha.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:45 PM   #18
Sutherngintelmen OP
around the bend

Yep - a decent Toaster at $2500 seems pretty unlikely.

Quote:
Hope you're ready to shell out quite a bit more $$ then
We have one of those as well. It sits next to that one. haha.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:50 PM   #19
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,990
Quote:
Yep - a decent Toaster at $2500 seems pretty unlikely.
Try around 4k in our area.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:52 PM   #20
Sutherngintelmen OP
around the bend

Yep - that seems about right, just don't want to drop 4k on one that needs 2k of work cause I didn't know what I didn't know.

Quote:
Try around 4k in our area.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:59 PM   #21
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Don't count on that red gen light actually being red, it could look orange at best.
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:20 AM   #22
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,305
Quote:
I'm not locked into anything except R75/5. I expect it will be a '73 toaster but not in a rush to get this done. I've got other ponies in the stable to keep me grinning for now.

This is more of a long term play - be plenty happy to get a bike next week, next Spring or anytime between. Actually, I think I'm full of Sooner is better

I won't do anything rash - no need for comments there - I really can be patient.

That said - and at the risk of creating competion for myself - I do like this green....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_500wt_1182
Few things stick out on that Green one that I am worried about. WHY are the motor badges off? WHY does the motor look painted with a rattle can? WHY does the paint on the tank look rattlecanned? THAT may just be the pics because he does say the paint is original. I do like the Green since it is VERY rare on a Toaster! BTW you can get ANY /5 and buy a Toaster tank and side covers for it.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:54 AM   #23
Sutherngintelmen OP
around the bend

Agree on the badges.

Hard to tell in these pics if rattle can

I don't have a great feeling about it though. The seller is mostly ad hoc car bits.

Why would the owner of this bike do a 'trade in?' If it's been cared for by an enthusiast, you'd think the enthusiast would want to sell it rather than 'trade' - knowing it will sell.

I've got a call out to the seller, we'll see. I'm sure he's gonna love my hundred questions....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
Few things stick out on that Green one that I am worried about. WHY are the motor badges off? WHY does the motor look painted with a rattle can? WHY does the paint on the tank look rattlecanned? THAT may just be the pics because he does say the paint is original. I do like the Green since it is VERY rare on a Toaster! BTW you can get ANY /5 and buy a Toaster tank and side covers for it.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:14 PM   #24
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
That ebay bike is about 10 miles from me.. of course 10 miles in RI is a long way,, but I could probably go look at if for you if you REALLY wanted me to If I hadnt bought a 73 R75/5 toaster two weeks ago I would have already been up there offering them cash to take it off Ebay.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:22 PM   #25
Sutherngintelmen OP
around the bend

Congrats on your new ride That's the feeling I'm looking for too.

Very generous offer - I might take you up on it if this fellow passes the verbal exam he's fixin to recieve. Waiting for him to ring me back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x
That ebay bike is about 10 miles from me.. of course 10 miles in RI is a long way,, but I could probably go look at if for you if you REALLY wanted me to If I hadnt bought a 73 R75/5 toaster two weeks ago I would have already been up there offering them cash to take it off Ebay.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:44 PM   #26
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
Quote:
First of all the seller wouldn't know original if it bit him in the ass. Unless he's a lying sack of doody.

There are many other things on that bike that don't jibe.
Wrong mufflers for one thing.
Sure they're BMW, but for a 74-84.
And as far as your statement about buying any /5 and putting toaster tank and side panels on it is concerned, That is wrong.
The toaster wasn't introduced until 72, bikes previous to that didn't come with the tabs on the sub-frame to hold them in place.

Also the emblems have been replaced, the screws are the newer style philips, the originals were slotted.

The speedometer needle appears to be stuck under the peg. A good indication that the speedometer is inoperative.
the shock bodies are chrome, ( as far as I can tell ) which is not original, the /5 were painted silver.
The dealer probably took it in just as you see it, but is making false claims to a person that wrote in asking about it. Probably out of ignorance, but false just the same.
He even says that seat is not original but he has it?
The seat is the correct one for the bike, the mufflers are not, but he claims they are. etc etc ad-nausea.
He makes no statement about the speedometer and tachometer working or not.
Judging by the reserve he has High expectations for that bike. I just hope someone doesn't buy it thinking he's getting a cherry original.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!

wirewrkr screwed with this post 10-21-2010 at 02:59 PM
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:50 PM   #27
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr
There are many other things on that bike that don't jibe.
Wrong mufflers for one thing.
Sure they're BMW, but for a 74-84.
And as far as your statement about buying any /5 and putting toaster tank and side panels on it is concerned, That is wrong.
The toaster wasn't introduced until 72, bikes previous to that didn,t come with the tabs on the subframe to hold them in place.
So the toaster tank would fit the early /5 but the side panels wouldn't? I guess he needs to find a clean 72 or later /5!
Old 10-21-2010, 03:02 PM   #28
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
Quote:
So the toaster tank would fit the early /5 but the side panels wouldn't? I guess he needs to find a clean 72 or later /5!
or find the correct sub-frame, or weld on his own tabs.
All /5 tanks inter change with all /5 bikes.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:10 PM   #29
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Wire, I think after looking at the speedo, the needle might be bent upwards enough to get over the stop pin....did you notice how bent it is? BTW My shocks are also supposedly stock but the covers are polished alloy or chromed, I never looked close enough. Mine is a 1970 sold in 71 and i got it from the original owner. Mine DOES have /6 muffs on it too.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:29 PM   #30
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Hmmm.....

Where are these tabs on the sub-frame as I have a '71 by the serial# with a toasty tank and which is a LWB?
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote