Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2015, 07:24 AM   #1
Destination Dakar OP
Still Racing Rallies

Oddometer: 145
Vancouver Island Adventure riding course

Hi ADV riders

Just a note to let you know I am holding my first Adventure school of the season,a two day adventure riding course May 23/24 in Duncan.

The course is as the British would say focused on "the Big Trailies”. It is designed for the beginner to intermediate adventure rider, We go over everything from
proper riding position to picking up your bike.

Day 1: is on my property and we work on technique.

Day 2: is usually a refresher of day 1 before heading out on a 4 to 5 hour adventure ride.

Rustic camping is available on site.( ok a spot in a field)

The riders who gain the most from my course are riders who have riding experience and now want to take their riding to a new level. (If they have a lot of off road dirt bike experience then this may not be the course for you.)

We are not a learn to ride course you must be able to ride a motorcycle to benefit from this course. If your goal is to explore on your bike then this is the course for you.

We can be reached at info@rallyraidcanada.com or dhatton@ shaw.ca

Regards
Don Hatton

Don Hatton has competed in more off road rallies then any Canadian to date, including Morocco, Dubai, Tunisia,Mexico, He has competed as a member of Cyril Despres Factory KTM team in Sardinia Italy, He is a three time Dakar Rally competitor and was Teamed with Simon Pavey on a Husqvarna supported team in the 2013 Dakar Rally, His competed in the Baja 1000 finishing 4th in his category.
Don assisted Charly Boorman in the filming of the BC stage of Extreme Frontiers Canada. He was the featured adventure riding instructor on 12 episodes of the TSN series “Motorcycle Experience”, Don has instructed adventure riding courses with world renowned BMW Off Road Skills instructor Simon Pavey.
He is a sought after speaker and regularly speaks to clubs and business groups on his adventures .

Testimonials:

Hi Don,

My thanks to you for sharing your expertise in a way that was practical and effective. In no other way could I have learned what I did.
My reluctance to try some of the obstacles was entirely based on my level of fatigue - which was a reflection of my fitness. Next time I'll be in better shape. Having said that, perhaps a topic you might explore with your students is how to recognize fatigue and how to deal with it - what to refocus on. Your Dakar experiences will have made you expert on this. Not to try to bring us to your level, but to share some of your experiences and concepts.

Thanks again to you and Natalie for your hospitality.

Rob

Don, it was the most fun I had on two or 4 wheels for a
long time. Learning new skills has always been my passion and I would love
to be able to adventure ride better, and pick up enduro riding before I get
too old! ;)

Please let me know when you put on a enduro class, or another adv riding
class and I'm definitely interested in coming over again.

WL
Old 05-07-2015, 07:31 AM   #2
Captain Excellent
+ll+

Oddometer: 264
Don, sounds like a great opportunity. Can you say more about size of group and number of instructors? Will you break the group up a bit once you assess riding levels of each?
Old 05-08-2015, 07:09 AM   #3
Destination Dakar OP
Still Racing Rallies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Excellent View Post
Don, sounds like a great opportunity. Can you say more about size of group and number of instructors? Will you break the group up a bit once you assess riding levels of each?
Hi Captain We will break the group up if necessary, however this has not been an issue to date.We work closely with riders to make sure no one is left behind.

Because this is not a learn to ride course most of the riders who attend our course are usually of equal ability
This is not the course for a rider with lots of off road dirt bike experience.

The maximum number we will take is 10 with two instructors.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:35 AM   #4
mardaf
"POPS"

Oddometer: 117
Hey Don, This looks real good but the timing doesn't work for me this time. Do you plan to run more throughout the summer?

I would be riding from Edmonton so need a little advanced time to plan.

Thanks

I don't like making plans because the the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in court
mardaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:59 AM   #5
Destination Dakar OP
Still Racing Rallies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mardaf View Post
Hey Don, This looks real good but the timing doesn't work for me this time. Do you plan to run more throughout the summer?

I would be riding from Edmonton so need a little advanced time to plan.

Thanks
I will have a couple more this year with much more advanced notice.
We will also post them on www.rallyraidcanada.com
Old 05-16-2015, 08:42 AM   #6
Destination Dakar OP
Still Racing Rallies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destination Dakar View Post
Hi ADV riders

Just a note to let you know I am holding my first Adventure school of the season,a two day adventure riding course May 23/24 in Duncan.

The course is as the British would say focused on "the Big Trailies”. It is designed for the beginner to intermediate adventure rider, We go over everything from
proper riding position to picking up your bike.

Day 1: is on my property and we work on technique.

Day 2: is usually a refresher of day 1 before heading out on a 4 to 5 hour adventure ride.

Rustic camping is available on site.( ok a spot in a field)

The riders who gain the most from my course are riders who have riding experience and now want to take their riding to a new level. (If they have a lot of off road dirt bike experience then this may not be the course for you.)

We are not a learn to ride course you must be able to ride a motorcycle to benefit from this course. If your goal is to explore on your bike then this is the course for you.

We can be reached at info@rallyraidcanada.com or dhatton@ shaw.ca

Regards
Don Hatton

Don Hatton has competed in more off road rallies then any Canadian to date, including Morocco, Dubai, Tunisia,Mexico, He has competed as a member of Cyril Despres Factory KTM team in Sardinia Italy, He is a three time Dakar Rally competitor and was Teamed with Simon Pavey on a Husqvarna supported team in the 2013 Dakar Rally, His competed in the Baja 1000 finishing 4th in his category.
Don assisted Charly Boorman in the filming of the BC stage of Extreme Frontiers Canada. He was the featured adventure riding instructor on 12 episodes of the TSN series “Motorcycle Experience”, Don has instructed adventure riding courses with world renowned BMW Off Road Skills instructor Simon Pavey.
He is a sought after speaker and regularly speaks to clubs and business groups on his adventures .

Testimonials:

Hi Don,

My thanks to you for sharing your expertise in a way that was practical and effective. In no other way could I have learned what I did.
My reluctance to try some of the obstacles was entirely based on my level of fatigue - which was a reflection of my fitness. Next time I'll be in better shape. Having said that, perhaps a topic you might explore with your students is how to recognize fatigue and how to deal with it - what to refocus on. Your Dakar experiences will have made you expert on this. Not to try to bring us to your level, but to share some of your experiences and concepts.

Rob

too old! ;)

WL
I know it is short notice but we have had two spots come open in next weekends course, if you are interested email: info@rallyraidcanada.com
Old 05-23-2015, 08:29 AM   #7
sgoyette
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hi Don

Will there be other courses this season?

Steve
sgoyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:45 AM   #8
Destination Dakar OP
Still Racing Rallies

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoyette View Post
Hi Don

Will there be other courses this season?

Steve
We had a very successful school last week, lot of happy faces we have three more schools scheduled for early summer.

June 13-14 ladies only. June 27-28 coed, July 18 and 19 coed.

We are very excited to be offering a ladies only offload course June 13-14 in Duncan

Same curriculum as our normal co-ed course except ladies only.

The course is designed for the beginner to intermediate dual sport /adventure rider, we go over everything from proper riding position to picking up your bike.

Day 1: On our property where we work on technique.

Day 2: A refresher of day 1 before heading out on a 4 to 5 hour adventure ride.

Fees includes lunch and snacks both days.

The riders who gain the most from our course are riders who have street riding experience and now want to take their riding to a new level. (If you have a lot of off road dirt bike experience then this may not be the course for you.)

We can be reached at info@rallyraidcanada.com or dhatton@shaw.ca

Don Hatton has competed in more off road rallies then any Canadian to date, including Morocco, Dubai, Tunisia, Mexico, He has competed as a member of Cyril Despres Factory KTM team in Sardinia Italy, He is a three time Dakar Rally competitor and was Teamed with Simon Pavey on a Husqvarna supported team in the 2013 Dakar Rally, His competed in the Baja 1000 finishing 4th in his category.
He is a sought after speaker and regularly speaks to clubs and business groups on his adventures.

Testimonials:

Hi Don,

Rob

too old! ;)

WL

Was a great course Don put on. I'm 61; 45 years on the street and 1 year dual sport. Took my trusty DR650 and not only learned a lot, but got to apply it all on the 2nd day on the ADV ride. Don didn't just tell us what to do, he demonstrated everything on his BMW1200GSA (with road tyres), observed performance and gave great feedback on how to improve. Each skill learned built into the next challenge.
The second day ADV ride was tailored to the class capability - constant reminders of the skills and techniques learned that needed to be applied and feedback after completing the section.
Appropriate caution and guidance was given as tougher sections were approached. Not one bike dropped on the day-2 ADV ride.
Great value for the $450. Then I find it was only Don's Level-1 course.
I'll be booking for the level-2 course after some suitable practice.
RD
Old 06-03-2015, 08:16 AM   #9
Destination Dakar OP
Still Racing Rallies

ATTN Ladies

Attention Ladies

We still have a couple openings in our ladies only class June 13 and 14.

This is a great opportunity to learn off road riding skills in a great relaxed atmosphere.

Don is a very experienced instructor , you will leave after two days a far more advanced off road rider.

If you ever wanted to take your motor cycle off road this is the course for you.

Course is perfect for Dual sport and Adventure motorcycles, size does not matter.

for more information Visit www.rallyraidcanada.com or