Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2010, 10:03 AM   #196
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,381
Mein Gott!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrutt
Looks like something Dr. Seuss would ride.
Actually he has been riding for much longer then that!
Proof that not only the Japanese struggled to make attractive multis...at least for a period.

As noted however, the aftermarket chassis-makers did pick up the slack for a while!

roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:39 PM   #197
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,259
I figured, like the CB400f, the Munch would make it in here too. The Munch is the logical extension (or slippery slope) of 4 cyl bikes: Big, fat, ugly - so unlcear on the concept. I guess it can happen to any bike, e.g. Triumph Rocket III - that engine looks like it came from a locomotive or a liberty ship. = does not look so right. But someone will post it anyway...Rickman framed Z1's & CB750's, especially nickel plated (if that makes a difference) along with the body work help those bikes a whole lot to their near looks so right status. The picture of that '72-'73 Z1 comes as close as a UJM four can get to looks so right. I wonder if you ditched the reflectors, and those support nubs on the pipes how much better it would look. It is leagues better looking than a CB750, near heretic talk from me, a Honda 'bot.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #198
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrutt
There is something appealing about a bike that wears it's mechanicals on the outside like the Velo's etc. Being able to pick out the cam drives, oil pumps, etc. is strangely satisfying.
Very well said; the plastic on my 990 doesn't do much to connect me with the engineers and their philosophy.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:28 PM   #199
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,013
A few I saw at Barber Vintage Festival this year.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:15 PM   #200
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

An odd pic of what I consider the archetypal motorcycle -

The 1968 Bonneville-- every other motorcycle is an inferior deviation from it esthetically.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #201
xlcr
Stop being a dick, dick.

Oddometer: 4,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird
Yep, as mentioned earlier the latter T160's '75's (& '76, if there was one) make the "just look so right" category. For a triple they still manage to have the flowing, elegant lines, unlike the Laverda triples, beautiful in their own right, but blocky looking. I was into getting a a T160 until I learned they have 3 sets of points. Guess they have electronics for them now.
The early Tridents were T150s. T160s were electric-start 5-speeds with left-side shift and canted cylinders like the BSA.
xlcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #202
xlcr
Stop being a dick, dick.

Oddometer: 4,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by durtwurm

Loved the look of this XLCR new and love it now! Great looker! '77 Harley XLCR.
If you overlook the chrome-plated pogo-sticks in the back.
xlcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #203
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

This looks right & proper, also:

Old 11-08-2010, 07:30 PM   #204
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

As does this:

Old 11-08-2010, 07:56 PM   #205
Thumpermeister
roost maker

Oddometer: 2,414
Ajs 7r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Tugly
Norton Manx. Simple, basic, classic.

Yep.
From a pure asthestic perspective however my vote might go here.

Thumpermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #206
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,259
That round case Duc is there....but I offer this; all the beautiful bikes in here, when you see them for real, next to a real '69 Bonneville, (OK maybe a '68) well, that's about it. The Bonneville looks even better in person. And in fact, a few of these beauties actually look better in a photo than in real life, not that they are bad. I think some of the Bonneville's allure is unintentional, a lot of it are pieces playing off each other, how the pipes will reflect the cases or the black oil tank is reflected in the pipes and other unintentional aesthetic features. In 1972 or so when the USA sent a space probe (Pioneer?) they sent a lot of images of what human life is (was?) on earth. I am thinking the representative motorcycle would have been the Bonneville, even if it was a British bike on a US space probe. (The human images were a naked male and female holding hands, very Anglo BTW)
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:25 PM   #207
Jinx
Call me Renzo

Oddometer: 10,838
The Vagaries of Fate

All designers/builders, at least those who design serious motorcycles (the only kind I like) are all at the mercy of where they arrive on stream of technology flowing from past to future.

Nobody early in the last Century was going to design a Motorcycle with fat 17" wheels and six inches of suspension travel

No, they designed around the best they had...and the results could be absolutely breathtaking

This bike can not exist with long-travel suspension and fat little donut tires. Oh, sure, you could put a fake "rigid look" swing-arm back there, but it is not at all the real thing, only a crudely drawn cartoon of the real thing. No, only with pretty much fuck-all for suspension and big wheels can you get this look, with the engine almost scraping the ground and the saddle damn near below the top of the rear tire.

If you want a bike to have the look of this era, you have to accept the time and place as defining the "look"

"You remind me of the monkey with the jerk-off button, starving to death at the switch." - Chopperman

"I didn't know how many assholes it was going to take to piss me off, but I knew how many they were going to use" - collaboratori

Jinx screwed with this post 11-08-2010 at 11:25 PM
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:28 PM   #208
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
- Jinx ...is

...smarter than your average bear.

Thanks for the educatin'.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:31 PM   #209
Jinx
Call me Renzo

Oddometer: 10,838
Some eras are tempting to copy, but shouldn't be

The defining proportions of this Ducati are that it is a mile long, has biggish diameter tires of modest width, and it has a front wheel out there by itself another half-mile in front of the rest of the bike. And the rest of the bike (tank/seat/top frame tubes) is almost perfectly parallel to the ground

I'll get lynched for this, but I thought the three Ducati "Retros" they came out with a few years ago were sort of hideous. They had small diameter fat modern tires, the front wheel was tucked up against the engine (because modern tires/suspension wants it to be like that) and the worst sin of all, they were short, stumpy ("Oi, who chopped off the front 1/3 of my gas tank?"), and looked like they were always going down a steep hill.

On top of that mess of inauthentic dimensions and proportions Ducati shoveled a bunch of "styling queues"...some tank shape features, some colors, and some plain old WTF??? ("is that a fake sump with fins?") etc, etc.

And the result is fucking daft looking (again, IMHO)

And I understand your pain. When we see an ugly Ducati, like an ugly Ferrari (and there are no shortage of those, either) our brains start to fizz and pop and short-circuit. I mean, everybody knows Ducatis are beautiful...but as much as we try to make our eyes see it as such, with these retros a little corner of my brain won't play along. Because something is...well...askew, to be polite

(And if you own and love one of these Retro Ducks, here is where you tell me to go piss up a rope, and we all move on with our lives)

Oddly enough, I like Monsters and think they are great looking bikes (infinitely better than the retros). Monsters are faithful to their time and place, and the result can be stunning (though getting the exhaust "right" is a challenge it seems)

None of the following are "copies" of anything. They are all faithful to their own era, and each is achingly beautiful (IMHO). And they would both look dumb with fat little donut tires and their asses stuck another half-a-foot in the air

The belt-drive TT series starts to move towards fatter rubber and a shorter wheelbase with the front wheel tucked closer to the engine and a modern trellis frame. And it does all that while looking brilliant all in its' own way

The new stuff, when it is true to it's own time and place, can be every bit as stunning as the old stuff we love. Even when they have, or maybe because they have, fat little donut tires...and wouldn't this look fucking daft with a set of 4.10 X 18 or 19 K81's?

Cheers

"You remind me of the monkey with the jerk-off button, starving to death at the switch." - Chopperman

"I didn't know how many assholes it was going to take to piss me off, but I knew how many they were going to use" - collaboratori

Jinx screwed with this post 11-08-2010 at 11:58 PM
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:36 PM   #210
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Did I mention...

- Jinx ...

...is smarter than your average bear?