Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2010, 02:41 PM   #46
interiorak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
I feel a bike can just look right . . . intrinsically . . . it just does. You know it when you see it.

But I also think your experience . . . on the road . . . or some other subliminal previous experience connects you to the vision of the bike . . . has a lot to do with it (even if you haven’t actually seen that particular bike/model previously before.) Whether it was Steve McQueen getting air time over a barbed wire fence or my “round about” on a Daytona 500 after a year in hell as a medic in the mountains of Vietnam and Laos . . . 1950-75 triumphs just look right. I still have her . . . maintenance nightmare that she is. Choke her, kick her hard, smell her, ride her, listen to the ring, feel the vibration . . . and it’s just right ( I think I’m still talking about my triumph )

Having said that . . . A Norton like my Dad was my first choice . . . SF dealer couldn’t get one . . . and I just had to get out on the road after waste waiting the summer. Either ride is equally just right. But then my R1100 GS is sooo ugly and heavy . . . it just right too.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:48 PM   #47
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Tugly
The gorgeous but sadly flawed BSA 441 Victor:

I fear this thread will run into a brick wall when word gets out a 441 Victor is 'gorgeous'. Sadly flawed with looks to match.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:04 PM   #48
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 14,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer
I'm amazed that Brit bikes feature so much with you guys.
I don't know how or why, but Brits have made some very elegant machines. Witness the lovely lines of the Hawker Hurricane, the De Havilland Mosquito, and the Supermarine Spitfire of WWII, and of course, past and current world class automobile designs.

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:17 PM   #49
Bud Tugly
Gnarly old curmudgeon

Oddometer: 229
Ducati 450 Desmo. Simple and elegant.

Bud Tugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:45 AM   #50
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,191

Shamelessly stolen from Jehu.....
danedg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:04 AM   #51
lake_harley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
Todays "flavor of the year" styling is just a few years from being dated looking. Look back at a picture of a 15 year old sport bike that was "ultimate" in appearance at the time, yet compaired to todays sportbike old and un-refined looking...maybe even cumbersome or bulky. I think the difference with older bikes, of which many pictures have been posted as examples of what looks "right", is that for the most part changes were made so that form fit the function. Generally the bikes appearance became what they needed it to be to hold all the necessary components in place. There certainly were some gaudy styling details on some bikes (ie: emblems on side covers), but the overall simplicity of older bikes was the beauty.

I'm done now......

Lynn
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:54 PM   #52
oc_nightmare
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
danedg, that thumper looks great! any info on that?
oc_nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:11 PM   #53
Hannibal-8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Good Looks

Good looking bikes, all of them. Why? Simple answer in my simple mind. They all have round headlights!!!. That's right! Nice, Big, Round, Headlights! That's the key. Rectangular? No. Round. Got it? Round. Rich
Hannibal-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:54 PM   #54
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,156
That's right, keep the function on top of style and you're already ahead. There are so many living abortions of styled bikes I won't sully the waters here, except to make one (non-photographic non-burn your eyes) example. Early to mid 80's (or anything 80's really) Yamaha Maxim. What is it? Standard? Cruiser? Chopper? It does succeed at being horribly ugly. The final bit of magic are those cast twirl wheels. Not to be a stick in the mud but for each photo of the several beautiful bikes posted on this particular thread they should each be juxtaposed for direct comparison with a '66-'70 Bonneville. Indeed, some come real close, (Ducati 450) but some are understandably different for their design purpose and yet come pretty close anyway. For the next level of massive generalization I say a "looks so right" bike can't be more than a twin, everything just gets out of balance and starts to, or simply looks fat. That's not to diss on any triple or four not being a classic, but they probably will not a "looks so right" bike.
chazbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:56 PM   #55
rightsideup
Get your motor running...

Oddometer: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird
For the next level of massive generalization I say a "looks so right" bike can't be more than a twin
Correct!
rightsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:57 PM   #56
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird
That's right, keep the function on top of style and you're already ahead. There are so many living abortions of styled bikes I won't sully the waters here, except to make one (non-photographic non-burn your eyes) example. Early to mid 80's (or anything 80's really) Yamaha Maxim. What is it? Standard? Cruiser? Chopper? It does succeed at being horribly ugly. The final bit of magic are those cast twirl wheels. Not to be a stick in the mud but for each photo of the several beautiful bikes posted on this particular thread they should each be juxtaposed for direct comparison with a '66-'70 Bonneville. Indeed, some come real close, (Ducati 450) but some are understandably different for their design purpose and yet come pretty close anyway. For the next level of massive generalization I say a "looks so right" bike can't be more than a twin, everything just gets out of balance and starts to, or simply looks fat. That's not to diss on any triple or four not being a classic, but they probably will not a "looks so right" bike.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:48 AM   #57
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,112
I bought this old 1970 Honda CD-175 at an auction a few years back. (since gone to a new owner) The "CD" model was common in Europe / England but never saw many in the States.
The fenders should have been painted, a previous owner must have had them chromed.
Always liked the look of it:

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:40 AM   #58
lrutt OP
SILENCE.....i kill you

Oddometer: 1,128
While in general I would agree that twins and singles have that right look, to me one of the few exceptions is the big Indian inline 4 with the full flowing fenders. I think those fenders are some of the best in all of motorcycling. They make the bike look so flowing just sitting still. And I just like the concept of the inline 4 sitting longitudenal, matches the rest of the bike. It looks purpose built as well, but for a much different purpose than a Bonnie or Commando or Manx.
2006 HD 1200C, 2006 Tri Scrambler, 2001 Duc M900, 2001 Hon XR650L, 1994 HD Heritage, 1989 Hon Hawk GT, 1978 Hon CB750K / sidecar, 1977 Guzzi 850 LeMans, 1976 Hon CB750K, 1965 Hon 305 Dream, 1973 Nort 850 Commando, 1971 Tri Trophy 650, 1970 Hon Trail 90, 1970 Tri Tiger 650, 1973 Hon Z50, 1984 Yam Virago 1000, 1981 Hon Passport 70, 1970 Suz T250, 1971 Yam RT1 360
lrutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:14 AM   #59
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,515
It's a mystery to me.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:24 AM   #60
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 8,004
Picture of my Dad riding my CL350 in the early eighties. I picked up the bike in boxes, and put it together...(yes, he always refused to wear a helmet)