ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 03:44 PM   #151
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
I agree with everything you said in your last post John.

I think (hope) that anyone reading our discussion will also see the Voyager does have a lot of good features. In fact, now that I have had time to think more about the overall package, instead of being hung up on the things I felt were lacking from the GPS function of the unit, the more value I see in the Voyager over the Vapor.

So I've decided I will take the 30 min drive over to TrailTech and check one out in person.

Thanks,

Jon...
Old 03-28-2011, 05:33 PM   #152
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,445
Me agree to.

With the overall odometer, can I enter the initial odometer reading on my OEM odometer? I'm talking about the one on the OEM gear you can't reset.

Also, does this info get stored on temp memory or permanent memory? Just wondering if I'll loose the odometer info when it's not plugged into internal or 12v power. Unlike some users that like to turn back the clock I like to keep the info for maintenance purposes. It's unlikely I'll ever sell the bike I'm planning on getting it for.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:03 PM   #153
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

I'm at work on my phone so please excuse any typos.

I called and asked about being able to set the odo on the Voyager to match the current mileage on my bike like I did with the Vapor and was informed it could not be done. Something about bikes being required to have a permanent odo if they are licensed.

Correction: I was mis-informed. See my updated post below...sorry.

Regarding will it remember the total mileage even if power is lost. Yes it does.

Jon...

Jon_PDX screwed with this post 03-29-2011 at 04:03 PM
Jon_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:12 AM   #154
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten View Post
Me agree to.

With the overall odometer, can I enter the initial odometer reading on my OEM odometer? I'm talking about the one on the OEM gear you can't reset.

Also, does this info get stored on temp memory or permanent memory? Just wondering if I'll loose the odometer info when it's not plugged into internal or 12v power. Unlike some users that like to turn back the clock I like to keep the info for maintenance purposes. It's unlikely I'll ever sell the bike I'm planning on getting it for.
Yes it can be done, but you would have to send it in to TrailTech. It requires a password to get into the operating system.
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:00 PM   #155
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3 View Post
Yes it can be done, but you would have to send it in to TrailTech. It requires a password to get into the operating system.
Well it appears I have been sticking my foot in my mouth all week.....Oops.

I just called and spoke to Garridan and he confirmed that YES it can be done and he is going to let the other person I spoke with yesterday know in case that person gets another call asking about it.

In fact, unless I did not understand correctly, it's not just the main ODO but even the hour/run time settings can be configured to reflect the correct data.

I also asked some more questions about the GPS and he said they would love to have all the other features that I and a few others would like. But since the Voyager was originally designed to be a "Trail" GPS and not an "Adventure" GPS they first want to get any bugs worked out in it before going on to the next step.

Which, if their tech's get their way, would be to have one geared more towards adventure riding.

For sure I will be going up to see one in person and play with it.

Jon...

Jon_PDX screwed with this post 03-29-2011 at 04:12 PM
Jon_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:38 AM   #156
crazybrother
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Has anyone been able to convert any TOPO maps to work on the Voyager yet?
crazybrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:33 AM   #157
rmarkr
Squatter

Oddometer: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrother View Post
Has anyone been able to convert any TOPO maps to work on the Voyager yet?
Seems to be a lot of confusion related to display of a map in these units.
I am by no means a experienced user, but here is what I can figure out:

The unit will record tracks (where you've been) and tracks (yours or someone else's) can be loaded as routes (or tracks). You can follow a previous track, but there will be no surrounding data.

Waypoints can be uploaded, created at your current position, or at a point picked on the screen, or defined by Lat and Long.

A map can be created and uploaded, in a very crude fashion.
In order to do this, waypoints are created along the linework on a desktop mapping utility. This linework can be roads, rivers, contours, boundaries etc, whatever is displayed at the time.
These waypoints can be uploaded to the voyager, and it draws linework between the (ordered) waypoints on the unit. There will be no road names or differentiation between different type entities.
The largest map I was able to create was about 10 x 5 miles in a low density (rural) area.

So to answer your question - topo... forgitaboutit.

But in defense of the unit:
It is a great m/c dash. It has:

All the distance/time/speed functions
Ambient and engine temp
Bike and unit battery voltage (I like!)
Tachometer
It has a chunky feel to it and the display (B+W) is hi-res.

I fairly sure that Trailtech, or other users, will soon be writing more code for this unit....we'll see.
rmarkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:41 AM   #158
samaki
Hakuna Matatizo

Oddometer: 26
I have a Voyager on my 400EXC that I installed in place of my Vapor. I have found this to be a fantastic little device for what I need. It records and displays an incredible amount of data in a very user friendly fashion, and is easy to use even while wearing gloves. You can go online and download road maps to the provided software, edit them and upload them into the GPS. I find this very useful for what I do, which is riding unmapped, unmarked trails in very hilly remote country. I use the downloaded roads for reference so I know where I am in relation to highways and country roads, and the bread crumbs laid down during my ride for building a data base for the trails I ride and also to know where I am am how to get out should I get lost. I have found that even if I could download topo maps I would choose not to for several reasons. Firstly they would clutter the display and obscure my tracks. Secondly it would not affect where I chose as my route because I just follow the trails anyway regardless of the topo features ahead; if it is passable I go. Thirdly, it would use up storage space.

I think Trail Tech nailed it with the Voyager. I have tried carrying hand helds but had a horrible time getting service when I needed it. The Voyager locks on to signals and stays connected for the duration of the ride. Don't be afraid to get this unit if you are going to be using it as I have indicated above. I thought I might want to retain my Vapor for some of the information it provided and because I was accustomed to it, but it would be totally redundant to do so.
samaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:42 AM   #159
samaki
Hakuna Matatizo

Rocky Mountain ATV has the Voyager for sale for $251. Using a coupon code that you can get online you can get a $20 bonus credit to your account for your next purchase, making the total cost including shipping $231.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:25 AM   #160
crazybrother
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaki View Post
Rocky Mountain ATV has the Voyager for sale for $251. Using a coupon code that you can get online you can get a $20 bonus credit to your account for your next purchase, making the total cost including shipping $231.
That's where I got mine Plus free shipping and no tax
Old 04-22-2011, 06:30 AM   #161
crazybrother
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaki View Post
I have a Voyager on my 400EXC that I installed in place of my Vapor. I have found this to be a fantastic little device for what I need. It records and displays an incredible amount of data in a very user friendly fashion, and is easy to use even while wearing gloves. You can go online and download road maps to the provided software, edit them and upload them into the GPS. I find this very useful for what I do, which is riding unmapped, unmarked trails in very hilly remote country. I use the downloaded roads for reference so I know where I am in relation to highways and country roads, and the bread crumbs laid down during my ride for building a data base for the trails I ride and also to know where I am am how to get out should I get lost. I have found that even if I could download topo maps I would choose not to for several reasons. Firstly they would clutter the display and obscure my tracks. Secondly it would not affect where I chose as my route because I just follow the trails anyway regardless of the topo features ahead; if it is passable I go. Thirdly, it would use up storage space.

I think Trail Tech nailed it with the Voyager. I have tried carrying hand helds but had a horrible time getting service when I needed it. The Voyager locks on to signals and stays connected for the duration of the ride. Don't be afraid to get this unit if you are going to be using it as I have indicated above. I thought I might want to retain my Vapor for some of the information it provided and because I was accustomed to it, but it would be totally redundant to do so.
That's what I want to do as well. Where do you get the road maps that you use. All I really want is the roads that are in the areas that I ride for reference. So far I really like it too. Also the only bug that I noticed, is the Tach feature will only work if you connect the sensor wire to the coil & not wrap it around the spark plug wire.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:47 AM   #162
samaki
Hakuna Matatizo

You can download the street maps from openstreetmaps.org. They have to be converted using GPSBabel (available online for free) before your TrailTech program can use them. These instructions are all in the manual starting on page 43.

You basically go to openstreetmaps, select the area of roads that you want, download them, convert them, remove all the waypoints using your TrailTech provided software, copy the file to your microSD card that came with the GPS and import it to the GPS. It sounds a bit complicated but trust me, if I can do it, anyone can do it.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:35 PM   #163
josea1952
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Any new updates?? On the fence about this.
josea1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:35 AM   #164
samaki
Hakuna Matatizo

Quote:
Originally Posted by josea1952 View Post
Any new updates?? On the fence about this.
I continue to use mine as my primary instrument (having replaced my Vapor with it) and think it is great. I have done a lot of ride days all on off road unmapped tracks and it has performed flawlessly and has not lost satellite contact a single time. The display is rather small so you can't navigate by it at speed on tight tracks, but the data is all there and readable.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:59 PM   #165
Motor2of7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
I've started doing organized dual sport rides where they provide a roll chart but will also provide GPS data as well. Typically the organizers won't upload onto the later Nuvi style devices but will upload to the older Garmin style units (not sure why that is). I don't think that Trail Tech wrote their own GPS operating software, does anyone know what they used as a starting point?
My questions are:
Has anyone done one of these organized rides and successfully uploaded ride information?
Was having that data on a GPS helpful?
What's involved in dismounting the unit so you can take it to the registration desk for the upload? If not by dismounting, how do you transfer the data?
Is the Voyager waterproof?
Can the trip odo be reset? If so can it only be reset only to zero or some other interval.

Once the pin is pulled, Mr. Handgrenade is not our friend.
Motor2of7 is offline   Reply With Quote